Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Cadmium in LEGO Bricks?

akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,037

There is an interesting LEGO-related question on Stack Exchange nobody was able to answer so far, and it made me curious too. Anyone knows anything about this?  @Istokg or someone else?

"I remember a rumour from my youth in the late seventies / early eighties, that there was supposedly cadmium in older (relative to that time) Lego bricks. Searching for Lego cadmium yields quite a lot of hits, but so far, nothing conclusive.
I also note that Lego has never recalled any old bricks, which I admit would be next to impossible: how would the general public be able to distinguish between older and newer bricks? Has cadmium ever been used in Lego bricks? If so, in what quantities? How about other toxic metals?"

Source: http://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/8543/was-there-ever-cadmium-in-lego-bricks

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,863
    Maybe that would explain why they last forever and still have better grip than any new LEGO bricks?
    Jackad7
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,037

Maybe that would explain why they last forever and still have better grip than any new LEGO bricks?

That would be interesting. LEGO bricks from the 70s and 80s are definitely much more durable (and consistent in color) than today's bricks, but the question seem to indicate that the bricks with cadmium are even older than that. So there might not be a coloration.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,037
    @Istokg, ahh, thank you so much! I knew I can count on you! :)
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,798
    ^^ gobsmacked. Is there anything about the history of Lego that could stump @Istokg? I think not.
    77ncaachampsIstokgJackad7
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,863
    akunthita said:

That would be interesting. LEGO bricks from the 70s and 80s are definitely much more durable (and consistent in color) than today's bricks, but the question seem to indicate that the bricks with cadmium are even older than that. So there might not be a coloration.
    I was joking.. well half joking anyway ;-)
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,261
    What? I was busy filing my class action lawsuit.
    DoctorMcGannSprinkleOtterTheMaker37Jackad7kiki180703GothamConstructionCopharmjodRainstorm26
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,191

In terms of safety, the amount of cadmium sulfide one needs to ingest is quite high to cause problems and the relative amount in Lego bricks is quite low. There will be more problems from eating large quantities of ABS.

@LusiferSam  Thanks for that mental image.... the thought of an ABS LEGO stool softener is a concept I'll not soon forget!! :-O

SprinkleOttercatwranglerkiki180703Ncode
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 512
    Ha ha ha ha.  Always glad to help with the disturbing mental images.  That's not exactly what I had intend (I'm think more GI distress), but that works too.
    edited February 2017
    Istokg said:
    @LusiferSam  Thanks for that mental image.... the thought of an ABS LEGO stool softener is a concept I'll not soon forget!! :-O
    Just make sure to chew the corners of the bricks, or stick to 1x1 round tiles.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,745
    Wait, Cadmium? Isn't that the thing that gives Cadbury eggs their new "creamy" center?
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,433
    Before I read that the Cadmium was removed by 1973, I was staring at my yellow castle. Glad I'm not contaminated.
    Jackad7kiki180703
    Wait, Cadmium? Isn't that the thing that gives Cadbury eggs their new "creamy" center?
    No, you are confusing that with nougat.  Or hummus.  Candbury cream eggs are made of hummus.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703gmonkey76
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 254
    Hummus and chocolate? Yuck! 
    You mean... humocolate.
    Glacierfalls265
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    Glacierfalls265
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,798
    ^ Ah, so you've tasted the new creme egg recipe. Over here in the UK it was the top "confectionary related" story about this time last year. This year we won't be buying any of them...