Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Tips for big LDD designs

Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
I've been wanting to make a midi-scale venator class cruiser forever and I finally found someone who made one on eurobricks. Unfortunately he does not respond to things on the thread or pm' s so I have decided to try make one self. I have never made anything of size on LDD and I was wondering if anyone has tips on what to do/not to do when building medium/big structures (particularly space ships that aren't supposed to be anchored o the ground).
Thanks!

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    Midi-scale should not be a problem. Nor does it matter that the design is floating. LDD issues usually arise when the model is super large. It slows down the program and could get buggy, so for very large models is best to break up the design to several LDD files. But for a midi-scale starship it should be just fine.
    SprinkleOtter
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Why not try bricklinks new virtual design program. From the little bit of it I have used so far it is very similar to LDD but you have the advantage that you can then create a wanted list for it and source the parts.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,377
    ^The want list feature is the main reason I recently ventured into BL's version of it. If you really love LDD and like its functionality better, you can always import your models from LDD into Bl's Stud.io for the wanted list feature. 
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 431
    ^ Or via Rebrickable...
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 655
    Do it in pieces. You can combine LDDs files by importing one into another. Otherwise it can be hard to work with a single large project. It's easier to revert to an earlier version if you end up throwing a large chunk of it out.
    Jackad7