Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Smallest steering mechanism?

What is the smallest steering mechanism that anyone has devised for a Lego vehicle? Either in an official set or not.

Of course many Technic vehicles have steering but has there ever been steering in a minifig scale vehicle? I wonder if it is possible to fit steering into a City-size vehicle like #60118 or #60056 perhaps with a axle poking through the top of the cab of the vehicle to do the steering? Even if a few modifications are required to the wheels or non-Lego parts are used?

Comments

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,107
    edited January 2017
    I'd guess that you couldn't do it much smaller than how it was done in this early set, which I believe was the first set I ever had (still got it):

http://brickset.com/sets/378-1/Tractor

It's not quite minifig scale, but not far off...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    If you use trolley wheels (2496) under any of the modified plates that hold trolley wheels, with a modified tile with a pin (2460) on top, then you have a steerable pair of wheels that can go through a hole in a technic plate.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    EROL has made a pretty cool City scale system for larger vehicles (bus shown below) this is a passive steering though, wheels turn side to side as the bus is guided via a slot system (or "hand of god")

I have seen other city sized vehicles with "steering" but this usually is just an individual wheel pivot for posing the car and not a workable control (each wheel will do it's own thing)

EROL's Bus for Slot system 
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    John Deere Tractor by Carl Merriam

LEGO John Deere Tractor

Steering Detail
    binaryeyericecake
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,308
    didn't test it in reality. of course the wheels are on a 2x2 turntable.

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,470
    ^ I don't think there'd be very much steering lock on that at all.
  • jason1976jason1976 LondonMember Posts: 76
    edited January 2017
    Does #332 count?