Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Smallest steering mechanism?

What is the smallest steering mechanism that anyone has devised for a Lego vehicle? Either in an official set or not.

Of course many Technic vehicles have steering but has there ever been steering in a minifig scale vehicle? I wonder if it is possible to fit steering into a City-size vehicle like #60118 or #60056 perhaps with a axle poking through the top of the cab of the vehicle to do the steering? Even if a few modifications are required to the wheels or non-Lego parts are used?

Comments

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    edited January 2017
    I'd guess that you couldn't do it much smaller than how it was done in this early set, which I believe was the first set I ever had (still got it):

http://brickset.com/sets/378-1/Tractor

It's not quite minifig scale, but not far off...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,317
    If you use trolley wheels (2496) under any of the modified plates that hold trolley wheels, with a modified tile with a pin (2460) on top, then you have a steerable pair of wheels that can go through a hole in a technic plate.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    EROL has made a pretty cool City scale system for larger vehicles (bus shown below) this is a passive steering though, wheels turn side to side as the bus is guided via a slot system (or "hand of god")

I have seen other city sized vehicles with "steering" but this usually is just an individual wheel pivot for posing the car and not a workable control (each wheel will do it's own thing)

EROL's Bus for Slot system 
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    John Deere Tractor by Carl Merriam

LEGO John Deere Tractor

Steering Detail
    binaryeyericecake
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,232
    didn't test it in reality. of course the wheels are on a 2x2 turntable.

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    ^ I don't think there'd be very much steering lock on that at all.
  • jason1976jason1976 LondonMember Posts: 74
    edited January 2017
    Does #332 count?