Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rebuilding classic sets in modern colors

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody had experience rebuilding classic sets in the new (well, compared to the 90s) color browns and grays? I've been working on a western diorama MOC incorporating the Lone Ranger sets, but I also have the classic Cowboys sets from the 90s, like Fort Legoredo, that I want to include but the slight color difference (*twitch*) annoys me. I was wondering whether I could rebuild the set all with new brown log pieces and new gray BURP pieces etc. Has anybody done that before? I think it should be possible, right? I'm also doing an Indiana Jones diorama and want to include old Adventurers sets. Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated!

Comments

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,513
    Haven't done it because the color difference doesn't bother me as long as it's not in the same build. A dark gray house next to a dark bluish gray house is no big deal to me. As long as the parts are available in the new colors there is no problem switching them out. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,358
    edited December 2016
    I dunno if the log panel 6x6x2 exists in redish brown, maybe in the viking fort, but maybe using standard log bricks instead would give a better result anyway.

also, I have the inverse problem. my fort legoredo misses a couple log bricks and they aren't easy to find in brown now. I also miss a dark grey one, same problem.
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,938
    I'm the other way around. I like an old color brick in a modern build, seems more realistic than a solid color. This happens when tweaking a set and parts from my KFOL collection are what I have handy.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,823
    I've often thought that I'd like to build a 70s/80s-style town, in terms of building and vehicle proportions. But to add a bit of variety and make the most of the bricks I've got, it'd make sense to follow some old instructions with new brick colours...
  • DoctorMcGannDoctorMcGann NashvilleMember Posts: 37
    edited January 2017
    The Log Panel from Legoredo does exist in reddish brown, it's in a Spongebob set and a viking set. You can get the required quantity for around 35 cents a pop, which isn't too bad considering.
    http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30140&idColor=8#T=S&C=88&O={"color":88,"minqty":"23"}
    23 * 0.34 = 7.82 and that builds you almost the whole palissade around the fort. not bad indeed.
  • DoctorMcGannDoctorMcGann NashvilleMember Posts: 37
    Looks like there're two light gray pieces that can't be swapped to LBG though,
    3861 and 4071.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    I'd love to see a Main Street updated with sand blue and dark red.
    makes me want to improve my fort legoredo. but I would keep the old brown color.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,434
    That looks ace. Love the cacti and all the other new details :)