Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Rebuilding classic sets in modern colors

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody had experience rebuilding classic sets in the new (well, compared to the 90s) color browns and grays? I've been working on a western diorama MOC incorporating the Lone Ranger sets, but I also have the classic Cowboys sets from the 90s, like Fort Legoredo, that I want to include but the slight color difference (*twitch*) annoys me. I was wondering whether I could rebuild the set all with new brown log pieces and new gray BURP pieces etc. Has anybody done that before? I think it should be possible, right? I'm also doing an Indiana Jones diorama and want to include old Adventurers sets. Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated!

Comments

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,388
    Haven't done it because the color difference doesn't bother me as long as it's not in the same build. A dark gray house next to a dark bluish gray house is no big deal to me. As long as the parts are available in the new colors there is no problem switching them out. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,233
    edited December 2016
    I dunno if the log panel 6x6x2 exists in redish brown, maybe in the viking fort, but maybe using standard log bricks instead would give a better result anyway.

also, I have the inverse problem. my fort legoredo misses a couple log bricks and they aren't easy to find in brown now. I also miss a dark grey one, same problem.
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,817
    I'm the other way around. I like an old color brick in a modern build, seems more realistic than a solid color. This happens when tweaking a set and parts from my KFOL collection are what I have handy.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    I've often thought that I'd like to build a 70s/80s-style town, in terms of building and vehicle proportions. But to add a bit of variety and make the most of the bricks I've got, it'd make sense to follow some old instructions with new brick colours...
  • DoctorMcGannDoctorMcGann NashvilleMember Posts: 37
    edited January 2017
    The Log Panel from Legoredo does exist in reddish brown, it's in a Spongebob set and a viking set. You can get the required quantity for around 35 cents a pop, which isn't too bad considering.
    http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30140&idColor=8#T=S&C=88&O={"color":88,"minqty":"23"}
    23 * 0.34 = 7.82 and that builds you almost the whole palissade around the fort. not bad indeed.
  • DoctorMcGannDoctorMcGann NashvilleMember Posts: 37
    Looks like there're two light gray pieces that can't be swapped to LBG though,
    3861 and 4071.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    I'd love to see a Main Street updated with sand blue and dark red.
    makes me want to improve my fort legoredo. but I would keep the old brown color.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,317
    That looks ace. Love the cacti and all the other new details :)