Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brickset Community Map Project - Show us where you are!

bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 663
edited February 2012 in Community and Events

View Brickset Community Map on google and add your location.

Show us were you are - other AFOLs can be closer than you think!

The Brickset Forum is for over 16s only - the same applies to the map.

How do I add myself to the map?
Click the 'Add me to the map!' button below. Then type a short message, formatted like this:
EXAMPLE:
Username: bricknation
Location: Denton Railway Station, Denton, Manchester, United Kingdom
Please remember to use a local public place - not your actual address, for your safety.

If you are concerned about your privacy please read Brickset Privacy Policy
If you want your or your child's placemark removed please send a request by clicking on the 'Add me to the map!' button above.
If you'd like your placemark to be repositioned or description modified please contact by clicking on the 'Add me to the map!' button above.

Note: this is a community initiative that is not endorsed by the Brickset management team

Comments

• bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 663
    edited December 2011
    I have started the map. It isn't public but is open to edit by anyone.
    Brickset User Location Map

View Brickset Users Location Map in a larger map

For your personal and your LEGO's safety remember not to indicate your exact location. I've placed mine on the nearest train station/stop.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ Cool
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^^ Thanks. Will get mine posted later.
  • giraffefrecklesgiraffefreckles Member Posts: 100
    ^^^ That's neat. Would you mind posting a new thread for this, and instructions on how to put a pin? I've never done this before.

Has this thread morphed into a discussion on minifigs? I love the challenge of finding girl figs out of all those boys. *sigh*. Somebody over at Billund did some serious population tampering... :P. And no, I am not a fan of Friends (besides the colors.)

Carry on...
    edited December 2011
    I have started the map. It isn't public but is open to edit by anyone.
    Brickset User Location Map

View Brickset Users Location Map in a larger map

For your personal and your LEGO's safety remember not to indicate your exact location. I've placed mine on the nearest train station/stop.
    I've added my location to the map. I couldn't find the same icon, with the transparent background, that others used.
    edited December 2011
    This discussion was created from comments split from: TRU store banned me from buying lego in bulk..
    edited December 2011
    I've added myself. I only see one other placemark and it's blank...

As for how to edit the map, I simply signed in to google, clicked edit, dropped a pin, and then clicked save and done.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Added myself.

@sidersdd - go back to the map: Edit, click your icon, select from 'my icons' the bricks should be there.

The one bad thing is it looks like anyone can edit anything. I could have changed sidersdd's icon, but I didn't. Unfortunately it looks like there is lots of potential for mishandling...
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    added myself, noticed that matthew, bricknation and legogeek are missing location pins
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Tried on the iPad while in bed, but don't think it worked? Should probably get up soon anyway...
    Great to see new people on the map. I'll start a new thread for the map when I'm back home tonight.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    @Si I definitely added one, at my local Tesco :o)
  • DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the maaaaaap." Now that Dora tune will stick in my head for the next few days on reading the title of this thread.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,686
    Me also. You can actually add your own icon by entering the url for your Brickeset icon.
    edited December 2011
    I think the custom images were the ones which werent working, so I switched them back to standard pins and now theyre all visible. Hope you dont mind, but the custom icons were not showing at all.
    ^^ Ah, good idea. Done.
    @Si - can you see the my icon on the map now?
    @sidersdd yes, I can see a yacht :)
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited December 2011
    I'm on the map, have to say, I think this is a neat idea. Maybe I'll discover another AFOL in Cheltenham as a result of this, it really does feel like I'm the only one sometimes!
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK that is odd about the location pins, as I could see everyones when I added myself. That was why I used the custom one. Anyhow, whatever works is fine by me ... I changed it to another stock icon to reflect the sunny So Cal climate.
  • nodnarb162nodnarb162 Member Posts: 58
    edited December 2011
    I added myself. my pin looks awful lonely up in Atlantic Canada :P

But then again so do all of the pins..
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    edited December 2011
    I guess this is a better plan than what I posed to the community back in October. Great implementation guys!

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1756/can-brickset-become-a-place-that-afols-use-to-find-other-nearby-afols#Item_11
    It started...
    Some Jeff added 10 or so placemarks without any description - one of them on the Equator. They will be removed unless Jeff proves that he lives in 10 places at the same time.
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    There you go. I thought Sweden looked a little empty.. :)
    wow, youre right up there! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    ^Close to the artic circle, actually. There is just a couple of hours of daylight here right now. On the other hand, the sun almost never sets in june :)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,686
    ^ Sounds like the perfect place to live for a LEGO collector. :-)
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    Done! Second Irish AFOL to get to the map, but the person who beat me to it never entered their details. Great idea.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    edited December 2011
    As of right now, (6:54 AM, Christmas morning, EST) there are 9 people in the forums. Of these 9 3 of us are from NY (@jwsmart, @pcirone and myself). Noticed there were only 9 people here and thought it was cool that a third of them lived within an hour of each other. Sorry for that stat, besides LEGO I love baseball and the stats that you immerse yourself in by being a fan of baseball.
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    bump
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    funny idea, just did mine!
    @duchessa, joining the swedish crowd! :)
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    I know there are other people in the greater Sacramento area on here!
  • Jillerbean16Jillerbean16 Member Posts: 27
    I added myself :)
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Now on there, I think.
    edited December 2011
    Note - somebody has been playing with the map recently. I moved some back where I thought they should be - odindusk near Louisville and wagnerml2 near St. Louis. They had been moved into other countries.
  • evilempire22evilempire22 Member Posts: 31
    Am now on the map!
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    I just moved mine back. There are several in the oceans so check yours
    This really is messed up that anyone can relocate pins. I'm not familiar with all the aspects of a community Google Map, but isn't there some way to control community editing? Like, you can only edit your own pin and not others?
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited December 2011
    ^ the real question is, haven't people got something better to do with their time, honestly!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    There were similar problems with the Collectable Minifig g-maps that were created in the past; somebody(s?) decided it was more fun to move the pins around.
    Perhaps @Bricknation should just lock the map and then enter our pins for us?
    edited December 2011
    Due to "vandalism" I have locked the map.
    Please see the updated first post for how to get added to the map, or to get your placemark moved or removed.
    Too bad it had to come to this, but I'm sure it is for the better.
    It just takes one sour grape to ruin things for the whole bunch!

Looks like there are still some wandering points adrift at sea, hope they find their rightful homes again.
    Maybe they're legit points and some of our members are lost at sea?
    Arghhh! They're Pirates me buck-o!
  • thecleatorthecleator Member Posts: 70
    Perhaps this map will provide clues on who else is cleaning out my local Walmarts:)
  • jlbbluejlbblue Member Posts: 54
    ^My thoughts exactly!
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    How do we get into the map now then?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited January 2012
    Due to "vandalism" I have locked the map.
    Please see the updated first post for how to get added to the map, or to get your placemark moved or removed.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,492
    @CapnRex101: send bricknation a nice PM with your details and he will kindly oblige :-)