Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Building a Blimp

bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
I've recently been interested in building a large blimp, (not using that special mold from Adventurers). I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing it. I was thinking of doing an octagonal technic frame and using flexi rods to make the cone/round ends and doing the cab brick based. I'm still unsure what to do for the covering, I don't know whether to go find the cloth that Lego uses, find the thin polymer stuff Lego used for the sail barge, or just use paper. Any advice would be great, I've only really seen people use the adventurers blimp so it's a bit hard to reference and gather ideas. 

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,315
    Have you seen this paper one.

stlux
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,757
    I have one of these somewhere. :)

davetheoxygenmanstluxsid3windrkiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    @CCC Seems like they had sort of the same idea as me, I wonder if they used a technic frame... My only problem with paper is that I think it will get dirty, might try to find that polymer paper stuff that lego uses a lot with wind surfer sails. 

Another thing I would need to know is weighting, I'd need to make the front heavier as the back fins would make the whole thing tip over. Are there any photos of the insides of it?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,315
    There is a breakdown / step by step build for it somewhere on the web. I think it is a technic frame inside.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,118
    @bobabricks It was a CUUSOO idea submission, but the page seems to have been removed. There's other pictures available online, including of the technic frame, e.g. here: http://ideas.brickimedia.org/wiki/Majestic_Airship!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    Not sure how good it would look but Technic panels might make a decent shell if your scale was big enough.
    madforLEGO
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    edited December 2016
    Imperial Flagship sails - large surface area per set and surprisingly cheap - the test comes down to overlaps.
    Go big or go home!