Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A second radius curve for lego trains

Ive been struck by the idea that lego need to introduce a second radius curve to the current railway system. At present it's difficult to make a double track circuit with convincing curves due to the lack of a second radius. 
Lego could package them similarly to the points/switch pack. The cross over has also been missing for sometime and could do with another lease of life.
For this reason I have today emailed customer service via legos page and asked them very nicely to produce one.
I feel if enough interested people could email lego asking for a second radius curve that we might sway them into producing one.
it only takes a few minutes and if enough people email I'm sure they would at least look into it.
That horrible flexi track just doesn't cut it either and its costs must be higher than ordinary track?
please don't nay-say saying they won't do it- if we don't ask we don't get.
send an email if you want better track!
Johnyk668kiki180703

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,877
    edited December 2016
    Nay-say.. it's not gonna happen however many people email. A second radius hasn't been made since trains were introduced 50 years ago and given they are not prominent in the product lineup any more, it never will.

You'll need to look at 3rd party solutions, like ME Models, I'm afraid...
    gmonkey76madforLEGOkiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,751
    Will I be booed out if I suggest the flexible track?
    bobabricksSumoLegodavetheoxygenmandougtskiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,061
    Will I be booed out if I suggest the flexible track?
    The booing is directed at the flexible track.  But I suppose it's a - 'any port in a storm' scenario.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Sorry Bud but Huw put it quite succinctly - people have been asking for sensible train system upgrades (including a larger radius curve) for half a century without success.  
  • JezzatheshedJezzatheshed Member Posts: 159
    Wow fifty years without movement. Well I guess that when lego reply saying no we aren't going to do it I may have to email them back and ask if they have Lepins email address..
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    They won't say they won't, they'll say something that doesn't actually say anything at all.
    Railssid3windrmadforLEGOkiki180703dougts
  • RailsRails Brierley Hill, UKMember Posts: 153
    CCC said:
    They won't say they won't, they'll say something that doesn't actually say anything at all.
    The art of diplomacy!
    KingAlanI
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    I think you need to have a word with @Lowa, he may be able to help. It won't be genuine Lego but it may fulfill your needs.
    gmonkey76kiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,892
    Lepin wouldn't be able to help you as they are incapable of original thought.
    JezzatheshedbrumeyPitfall69catwranglerSumoLegokiki180703
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,457
    ^ That didn't look like an original thought either! ;)
    SprinkleOtterBumblepantsPitfall69kiki180703RedbullgivesuwindKingAlanI
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,061

(Red-Handed, Standing By)
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703davetheoxygenmansid3windrBumblepants
    If you want big curves, there was this idea that appeared about 10 years ago in Railbricks Edition 1. It was for 9V systems, but works for PF too. Each straight - straight joint is splayed by half a stud using a hinge on one side and a 1x1 and 1x2 jumper on the other. You get really big curves this way. You can skip every other joint too, making even bigger curves.

sid3windrBumblepantsPitfall69YodaliciousmadforLEGOkiki180703
    Thinking about it, I guess it is not so different to using a flexible joint in between each straight. I say that as I've just seen my kids using the regular curved track by adding one or more flexible joints between each curve to make it larger. Of course the curve is not perfectly smooth, but not too far off. I guess you could make it smaller too by bending them inwards, but not by much. A few weeks ago they used all flexible track to make a circle and that just fits inside the 16x curved circle. From the amount of laughter it caused, I think the train falls off it a lot though.
  • LowaLowa FloridaMember Posts: 114
    edited December 2016
    AllBrick said:
    I think you need to have a word with @Lowa, he may be able to help. It won't be genuine Lego but it may fulfill your needs.
    This is indeed something we can do.  It will be 3D printed, so you have to be OK with that...  We did make a custom filament in 'dark bluish gray' so the 3D printed track does blend in with the LEGO ones, but the surface texture is different.  Below you have an example of some custom narrow gauge train tracks that we did.  The curve is a request, it's half of a standard narrow gauge curve.

@Jezzatheshed What radius are you interested in ?

gmonkey76madforLEGOkiki180703

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bricktracks/additional-track-geometries-for-lego-trains

There was also this kickstarter not so long ago. It didn't even generate $10K, let along its funding amount.