Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What classic (pre 2000's)sets would you like to see re-released

mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 316
Personally I would like to see the early 90'stages castle sets re-released because those were the sets that got me into lego in the first place 

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,377
    edited December 2016
    As we are wishing for something unlikely to occur (see the other threads delving into that), I'm guessing many would like to see the #6399 Airport Shuttle redone.
    bobabricksgmonkey76catwranglerMattDawsonRsa33jason1976
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,201
    I think I'd like Paradisa because I wasn't really aware of it until recently. Also anything really that was town based but wasn't a police or fire set. 
    catwrangler
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,405
    As we are wishing for something unlikely to occur (see the other threads delving into that), I'm guessing many would like to see the #6399 Airport Shuttle redone.
    My thoughts exactly :)
    gmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,922
    None of them. I prefer new stuff rather than repeating old.
    BumblepantsFireheartlegomentalLusiferSamSumoLego
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    the classic pirate ship
    gmonkey76yys4u
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,226
    CCC said:
    This. Re-releases are largely pointless and would generally only sell on nostalgia. 

I do like references to older lines in new sets (like the Nexo crests based on the old Castle lines) and think that modern reboots of old themes can be interesting but ultimately if I want an old set bad enough there's a good aftermarket to search through.
    GothamConstructionCoBumblepantsdrdavewatfordLegogramLyichirMynattstluxLusiferSam
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 773
    If LEGO suddenly discovered they had a long forgotten warehouse containing thousands of copies of every set ever made, I think I might have to file for bankrupcy.
    sid3windrgmonkey76catwranglerSeanTheCollectorchuckpLEGO_Dad77
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    I want a updated Metroliner 
    CurvedRoadPlate
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    WOLFPACK TOWER

....and you know this, maaan!
    catwranglerLEGO_Dad77
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,451
    Classic pirates, and castle including forest men trolls, dragons, and monsters. Wouldn't mind if they were done in a more modern style, but not like Nexo Kights, more like LOTR
    catwranglerLEGO_Dad77
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,804
    I think I'd have to go with the Forest Men and Wolf People. Whether they re-released them or came up with a reimagined take on the theme, I'd really love it. 
    gmonkey76Legopassion8
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 732
    Yeah, I have to agree with others that I'm generally not that interested in rereleases, particularly of sets that old. Lego design has come a long way since then and while I enjoy references to classic lines, exact replicas of older sets fail to excite me. Not to mention that rereleases like those were a colossal failure the last time, and if Lego were to once again stoop to those lengths it'd make me seriously worried for the company's future.
    drdavewatfordAanchirstlux
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,467
    None. Sets these days are generally better designed, using a wider range of parts, and putting something pre-2000 on the shelf against sets from today would ensure that sales of the rereleased set tanked.
    stlux
  • solid_stridersolid_strider TexasMember Posts: 205
    I'd really like it if they rereleased or updated #6762 Fort Legoredo and #6766 Rapid River Village.  Also agree with the Metroliner.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545

I'll have to say I'm with most everybody else...rereleasing of old sets has generally been a failure I believe from a financial standpoint for Lego, so I doubt they would seriously consider doing a broad "Legends" line ever again. 

However, reimagining of old themes as some have mentioned does interest me.  A more modern take on the Forestmen - complete with awesome brick built trees similar to the Ewok Village - would be awesome.  Space Police 3 was pretty interesting, reintroducing the old theme but energizing it with modern builds and a variety of alien bad guys.

Having said all that....in a fantasy land, I would LOVE to see the monorails rereleased. 

catwranglerstlux
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 316
    I mean I get it the older sets are a far cry from the new ones but for a limited run and nostalgia I would jump all over it. I mean look the last 2 winter village sets have been re-releases and to a generally positive reaction and I think some of the old western castle and pirate sets would do a re-release more justice  
    The train was definitely not a re release. It's a completely different set to the older holiday train
    What do they go for? Sets you had (nostalgia of being a Lego kid) or sets you didn't get (nostalgia of being a Lego dreamer). I doubt there is much of a market outside of current AFOLs. And within AFOLs, everyone will remember something different. Whatever they did, most would want something different. Better they do something new that has wider appeal.

For ecample, I'm a castle / historic builder mainly, but there's no way I'd buy a big yellow castle. 
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545

The rerelease of the Winter Toy Shop was met with disdain mainly from the Lego community, I'm not sure where you're getting that there was a positive reaction to it.  And the new holiday train is a complete reimagining of the original, not a rerelease.

While I agree that it would be great if Lego returned more to the original STYLE of Castle and Pirates, I think actual rereleases would be disastrous for them financially.  What classic castle do you propose they remake?  As CCC states above, not many would go for the simplicity of the original yellow castle.  Most of the castles and big pirate sets from 1990-2000 were constructed on the big raised baseplates that Lego doesn't make anymore.  And I doubt they'd be happy to bring them back - I don't think many AFOL's today, let alone kids today, would like them.  They've been criticized for forcing the builder to conform to the size of the original model.

stluxcatwrangler
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 270
    Most of the stuff from Lego world city, as that was the theme that introduced me to Lego. (aaah memories) :-)
  • MichaelSmithMichaelSmith AdelaideMember Posts: 13
    None of them, and I say that as someone who collects Lego sets from the early 1970's to the early 1980's. I love that period of Lego but I also accept the Lego has moved on. Most of the classic sets are out there in the secondhand market if you want them.

There would be the issue of discontinued parts/colours, and fitting the sets into what is already a very crowded inventory with all the new sets now being released.

Much better to have references to older themes/sets (references to Classic Space are everywhere, even in Friends sets), or perhaps a "re-boot" or re-imagining of an older classic theme, such as Space, could work though - and has been done in a limited way with Benny's SPACESHIP! and the Ideas Exo-suit.

A bit of trivia about 375 aka the Yellow Castle. According to the Greatest Sets book, the reason it was yellow is the head of Lego at the time wouldn't agree to producing bricks in light grey, because he was concerned they'd be used for war themed builds.
    catwrangler
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    I can't really think of any pre-2000s set that I'd like to see re-released. After all, there aren't really any I don't already have that I even care enough about to even think about seeking them out. Lots of the parts from back then are basically obsolete. And even a widely beloved set like #6085 can be gotten used on BrickLink (without box or instructions, but otherwise in good condition) for less than its original price after adjusting for inflation. So if I really wanted a pre-2000s set, chances are I wouldn't need a re-release to get it.

I would have nothing against new sets that take inspiration from older sets. An Elves set with an overall shape similar to #6048 could be fun, for instance. Just this year the Ninjago set #70604 was inspired by Islanders sets like #6264, though it wasn't intentionally based specifically on that one set and more on the general Islanders feel. I like that kind of thing a lot better than I'd like a straight re-release.
    catwrangler
    So instead we used to build BOLOCs tanks instead.
  • GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 81
    gmonkey76bookmum
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,308
    Aanchir said:
    Lots of the parts from back then are basically obsolete. 
    they are still within the system, so not really.

islanders is a good suggestion, we had reboots of pirates but no reboots of them.
    gmonkey76madforLEGO
    Fauch said:
    Aanchir said:
    Lots of the parts from back then are basically obsolete. 
    they are still within the system, so not really.

islanders is a good suggestion, we had reboots of pirates but no reboots of them.
    I'm referring to parts like the Aquazone/Homemaker flexible arm pieces that were way more fragile than they had any right to be. I can't tell you how many of those pieces broke on me as a kid. Same goes for a lot of other old hinge pieces — I feel like the steady shift away from finger hinges and towards click hinges and clip-and-handle hinges has been largely a positive one for that reason alone.
    Lyichir
    oh yes, broke a lot of them too
  • NintendawgNintendawg Member Posts: 18
    Something along the lines of the 6073 Knight's Castle is what I would most like. Plenty of versatile parts for great moc buildings.

Would Lego be able to market it as a successful 2017 product? Probably not :(
    Would I buy multiples? Absolutely :)
    LEGO_Dad77
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 316
    I mean whether it be an exact copy of the old sets or a reimagined set with new pieces all I am saying  is what set would you lIke to see, not to get into a critical argument over feasibility and economic issues 
    sid3windr
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,565
    Space Cruiser and Moonbase #928 - totally just for the nostalgia. I never got it as a child. :-(
    catwrangler
    Yes definitely what @GoodCoffeeJoey says. "Monorail Monorail MONORAIL" "Mono.. Doh "
    catwranglergmonkey76
    Or if we are going for not re releases but new models that are similar... The Springfield Monorail. That would be amazing! 
    mh3490 said:
    I mean whether it be an exact copy of the old sets or a reimagined set with new pieces all I am saying  is what set would you lIke to see, not to get into a critical argument over feasibility and economic issues 
    The problem with calling something like #10254 Winter Holiday Train a rerelease is that you could then say #70816 and #11910 are remakes of #928, which is obviously not the case. #11910 might be a miniature version of #928 but I don't think anyone who owns the miniature version would feel like they owned the full version.

This probably sound like pedantic nitpicking, and I realise it's largely a matter of semantics but if you say rerelease people will assume you mean a straight up, exact copy.

On that front don't take offence to people saying they don't want rereleasea because frankly the modern designs are infinitely better if you can take off the rose tinted glasses of childhood nostalgia.

When you then start talking about sets being revisited in a modern theme you again come up against tripwire of not knowing where inspiration comes from. E.g I remember reading an interview with Mark Stafford that said Chima was inspired in part by Fabuland, but the actual themes are worlds apart, only really having anthropomorphic animals in common. Conversely Ninjago and Nexo Knights take inspiration from older caste themes but they are far more about Sci-Fi than anything Historical.
    sid3windrBumblepantsMattDawsoncatwrangler
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    Some of the earlier Space sets.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,251
    I'd like to see TLG do a redo of classic Space (1978-1990 era), maybe with a little bit of Blacktron I & Space Police I to give the theme some variety, sort of like how City has Police, Fire, etc. It would be curious to see how TLG would reinterpret these themes with all the current production parts (I wouldn't expect TLG would be likely to make reproductions of the original Space elements no longer produced).
    catwranglerMattDawsonmadforLEGO
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,804
    Shib said:
    When you then start talking about sets being revisited in a modern theme you again come up against tripwire of not knowing where inspiration comes from. E.g I remember reading an interview with Mark Stafford that said Chima was inspired in part by Fabuland, but the actual themes are worlds apart, only really having anthropomorphic animals in common. Conversely Ninjago and Nexo Knights take inspiration from older caste themes but they are far more about Sci-Fi than anything Historical.
    That's fascinating about Chima - not something I'd ever have guessed (I always figured someone had been a Thundercats fan as a kid...) from the overall styling, but more general ideas are often what counts.

When I was a kid, something that particularly appealed about the larger sets (e.g. Castle, Space and Pirate bases, most of which I never actually had) was the idea of secrets: dungeons, hiding places, trapdoors, stuff like that. Thinking about the Space ships, I really loved the hinged transparent canopies, the magnets (thank you, M-Tron and Spyrius) and the safes. I was obsessed with hinged parts of all kinds and hoarded the hinges for MOCs.

When you boil that down, it looks like what I really enjoyed was putting minifigures and small, high-kid-value pieces (gold coins, printed computer panels, etc.) in hidden places, and being able to transform the structures of robots, ships and buildings. And those functions, more than the superficial similarities in terms of trans red/orange parts or hybrid spacesuits/suits of armour, are what define Nexo Knights as a theme. No wonder those sets make me feel like a kid again! 

So yeah, I reckon TLG know what they're doing when it comes to picking the best aspects of old themes and sets...
    CurvedRoadPlate

So yeah, I reckon TLG know what they're doing when it comes to picking the best aspects of old themes and sets...
    "People with vehicles" is obviously an aspect that sells well.

catwrangler
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,468
    Shib said:
    CCC said:
    This. Re-releases are largely pointless and would generally only sell on nostalgia. 

I do like references to older lines in new sets (like the Nexo crests based on the old Castle lines) and think that modern reboots of old themes can be interesting but ultimately if I want an old set bad enough there's a good aftermarket to search through.
    I know the UCS Millennium Falcon came out after 2000, but the general disdain toward re-releases might explain why LEGO has not put another one into production.
    starwars4ever
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 338
    A fresh take on classics sets would be cool imo. Obviously just plain rereleasing things did not do so well. But if they decided to do a fresh take on the imperial trading post or other classics sets I think it would do well. Especially if they keep the spirit of the original, all while bringing something new to the table. 

Some themes just plain used to be better than they have been of late, pirates being a great example of that. The only pirate themed set released since 2000 that is better (or on par with) the classics sets was the imperial flagship. But all other sets don't stack up well compared to things released in the 80s and 90s. Castle is another theme where this is true.

So while saying "lego makes better sets now" and other blanket statements isn't always true. Its very much a theme by theme case.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,080
    As someone stated above, this issue has been hashed out in several other threads' in summation, the "Legends" line that TLG produced already shows that this idea of dabbling in past themes isn't successful.  Some might point to the short comings of the Legends theme - i.e. too much variety; or, the simple lack of interest for past themes and sets.

I am sure many of us that peruse these threads would love a re-release of our favorite themes, but perhaps it just doesn't appeal to the public.

I would say though, in a far off imaginative world I would love to open a large crate with all of the original Classic Pirate sets still MIB.  So perhaps the question isn't what sets would you like re-released as much as what sets would you like to have from the past.
    Shib
    piratemania7 said:
      So perhaps the question isn't what sets would you like re-released as much as what sets would you like to have from the past.
    This is probably a much better way of expressing the idea. As I said before there is a good aftermarket for LEGO so if I really wanted any old sets bad enough I could probably get them, but generally there's enough of the current sets that I can't keep up with so I don't feel the need to.

I have bought a few older insectoids parts for MOCs because I remembered them from my childhood, so getting a load of those sets for nothing would be great, but by modern standards I realise they aren't particularly good so I wouldn't want them at the cost of other stuff.
    A fresh take on classics sets would be cool imo. Obviously just plain rereleasing things did not do so well. But if they decided to do a fresh take on the imperial trading post or other classics sets I think it would do well. Especially if they keep the spirit of the original, all while bringing something new to the table. 

Some themes just plain used to be better than they have been of late, pirates being a great example of that. The only pirate themed set released since 2000 that is better (or on par with) the classics sets was the imperial flagship. But all other sets don't stack up well compared to things released in the 80s and 90s. Castle is another theme where this is true.

So while saying "lego makes better sets now" and other blanket statements isn't always true. Its very much a theme by theme case.
    I think it depends how you define pirate. As PotC has had some great sets / ships too. 

Modern sets may not measure up to the classics when you compare them against the biggest and best classic sets, but I still feel like they generally measure up favorably to sets that were actually similar in price. And sometimes when there hasn't been a set as big or impressive as a beloved classic set in decades, that's for a good reason. #6285 was a great set in 1989, but it also cost the equivalent of $218 in today's money.

An average parent today might feel like $100 is already pretty pricy for a LEGO pirate ship. If parents in 1989 were feeling that same kind of sticker shock, that might explain why no other pirate ship as big as the Black Seas Barracuda was released even in the classic era. I get a similar feeling from the widespread nostalgia for monorail sets, despite those not selling well when they were actually available. Even a product that everybody wants to own isn't an effective design if nobody wants to pay for it.

When we compare classic and modern sets of similar value, it's hardly even a competition. #70413 vs. #6274, for instance, or #70412 vs. #6265, or #70411 vs. #6260. Obviously the newer sets in all three of those matchups offer more pieces, better building and play value, and more overall substance. But instead people expect new sets to measure up to the biggest sets of their kind, whether or not sets that size were ever the norm and whether or not they'd be willing to pay the same amount for a set like that today.

As for Castle, I'm not convinced beloved classic castles like #6080 or #6085 offer any meaningful advantages over #7496 or #70404 besides including more figs and horses (and, of course, nostalgic value). In both of those classic sets, the interior is big and empty and the panel-based construction is no more complex than modern castles. The general structure is basically the same as their modern counterparts (a gatehouse and two towers connected by parapets), but the perimeter is smaller, the piece count is lower, and the cost is higher. Set nostalgia aside and the newer castles win hands-down.
    catwrangler
    there may be a model which could be re-released and retain a very similar design
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Just releasing old sets again would be (mostly) rubbish. But a modern take on a classic idea could be awesome. A modular castle range as we had in the 80s would be a good start, hello blacksmith and guarded inn. Any big bases, or a pirate theme with a decent selection of ships.
    Bumblepantsstluxcatwrangler
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 338
    Aanchir said:

Modern sets may not measure up to the classics when you compare them against the biggest and best classic sets, but I still feel like they generally measure up wellrably to sets that were actually similar in price. And sometimes when there hasn't been a set as big or impressive as a beloved classic set in decades, that's for a good reason. #6285 was a great set in 1989, but it also cost the equivalent of $218 in today's money.

An average parent today might feel like $100 is already pretty pricy for a LEGO pirate ship. If parents in 1989 were feeling that same kind of sticker shock, that might explain why no other pirate ship as big as the Black Seas Barracuda was released even in the classic era. I get a similar feeling from the widespread nostalgia for monorail sets, despite those not selling well when they were actually available. Even a product that everybody wants to own isn't an effective design if nobody wants to pay for it.

When we compare classic and modern sets of similar value, it's hardly even a competition. #70413 vs. #6274, for instance, or #70412 vs. #6265, or #70411 vs. #6260. Obviously the newer sets in all three of those matchups offer more pieces, better building and play value, and more overall substance. But instead people expect new sets to measure up to the biggest sets of their kind, whether or not sets that size were ever the norm and whether or not they'd be willing to pay the same amount for a set like that today.

As for Castle, I'm not convinced beloved classic castles like #6080 or #6085 offer any meaningful advantages over #7496 or #70404 besides including more figs and horses (and, of course, nostalgic value). In both of those classic sets, the interior is big and empty and the panel-based construction is no more complex than modern castles. The general structure is basically the same as their modern counterparts (a gatehouse and two towers connected by parapets), but the perimeter is smaller, the piece count is lower, and the cost is higher. Set nostalgia aside and the newer castles win hands-down.
    You forgot about Skill Eyes Schooner. That was a classic Pirate ship that was EVEN bigger than the BSB.

I get what you are saying, but I still stand by what I said earlier. The fact that TO THIS DAY the only Pirate ship Lego has made that is superior to the BSB or SES is the Imperial Flagship, bodes well for my point.

Ok yes, the $100 or so dollar price point Lego shoots at today for these things IS a better value than the ($200 in THAT era money) that the BSB and SES were at. But still, those ships were sold at $100 in there day and they sold well. So clearly a more advanced Pirate ship for $200 today would still sell well
    edited December 2016

Aanchir said:

Modern sets may not measure up to the classics when you compare them against the biggest and best classic sets, but I still feel like they generally measure up wellrably to sets that were actually similar in price. And sometimes when there hasn't been a set as big or impressive as a beloved classic set in decades, that's for a good reason. #6285 was a great set in 1989, but it also cost the equivalent of $218 in today's money.

You forgot about Skill Eyes Schooner. That was a classic Pirate ship that was EVEN bigger than the BSB.

I get what you are saying, but I still stand by what I said earlier. The fact that TO THIS DAY the only Pirate ship Lego has made that is superior to the BSB or SES is the Imperial Flagship, bodes well for my point.

Ok yes, the $100 or so dollar price point Lego shoots at today for these things IS a better value than the ($200 in THAT era money) that the BSB and SES were at. But still, those ships were sold at $100 in there day and they sold well. So clearly a more advanced Pirate ship for $200 today would still sell well
    Was Skull's Eye Schooner bigger? Hmm. I thought I'd remembered it being the other way around. My mistake.

Even so, I don't think that "pirate ships sold at that price point once" guarantees that they'd still sell well at that same price point today. Maybe as D2C sets like the Sea Cow, but probably not at regular retail — even retail sets from the most popular themes like City and Star Wars don't break the $150 threshold. If LEGO were to try pushing the Pirates and Castle themes to a higher price point I think it'd be best to take it slowly and start with, say, a $120 set (which, for Castle at least, is admittedly overdue).

On the D2C front, I do have my fingers crossed that the rumored Pirates of the Caribbean ship next year will be good and well-received by the community. Even so, I think the recent non-licensed pirate ships and castles are better than the community often gives them credit for. I have plenty of my own gripes with these themes (LEGO Elves and Nexo Knights both gave us more interesting and livable castles this year than the Castle theme EVER has, though that may be partly a factor of their target age range), but failing to live up to the standards of the 80s and 90s isn't one of them.
    catwrangler
    for 200 you would probably have an imperial flagship now. something the size of the barracuda would be under 150, except maybe if it is licensed.

it would be nice to have a pirate theme put more emphasis on the imperial soldiers (or use islanders as antagonists instead). last year the imperials didn't even have a decent ship. of course with a wave of just 5 sets, 4 of them being under 50€, there isn't a lot you can do. 
    gmonkey76catwrangler