Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Death Star or Old Death Star

bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
I was just watching the trailer for the new Spider Man Homecoming movie and this showed up in a scene. Anybody wanna take a jab at weather its the new version or old version?

Comments

• dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 453
    That would be hard to figure out from just those images.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    Consider the time of filming...unless LEGO gave them the newer one months ahead of release it would have to be the older one.
    gmonkey76stluxmadforLEGOkiki180703Johnyk668AdeelZubair
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
    I was watching this yesterday and thought that as Marvel Studios was a Disney company, and as the new Death Star was under the Disney branding it had to be the new Death Star..

It shows you Disney are now product placing the brands under their umbrella, Star Wars and Marvel..
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,970
    It's a Sony film. With some ties to the MCU. But definitely not Disney. Doesn't mean there weren't any talks about cross promotion, but unlikely to result in an early version of the new Death Star being sent to the set - it looks like a quick two second visual gag, so the old version would do just as well.
    Happy to be proved wrong though.
    SprinkleOttermadforLEGOkiki180703
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 197
    I don't know if it's just me - does anyone else think maybe the props department made a few tweaks to weaken it so it'd disintegrate on impact like that?  I feel like the basic structure of the Death Star's pretty solid, the core frame wouldn't come apart like that from such a low drop (not that I'm about to test it with mine).  Mental image of a props guy up until 3am patiently slicing the studs off every second brick in the walls; film sets working the way they do, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they did a half dozen of them in case they needed extra takes.

Don't get me wrong, it looked perfect, I'm sure every AFOL got an instant dropped-Lego pang of sympathy for the kid on first watch, I'm just curious.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    @MissKittyFantastico I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw it too. It breaks apart way too easily. I pity the bloke who had to set that up to crumble like it did. The actor was also probably told 'Dude, I'm going to hand this to you, but don't move an inch otherwise this thing will disintegrate in your hands! Just cradle it and drop it when prompted...'
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    I don't know if it's just me - does anyone else think maybe the props department made a few tweaks to weaken it so it'd disintegrate on impact like that?  I feel like the basic structure of the Death Star's pretty solid, the core frame wouldn't come apart like that from such a low drop (not that I'm about to test it with mine).  Mental image of a props guy up until 3am patiently slicing the studs off every second brick in the walls; film sets working the way they do, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they did a half dozen of them in case they needed extra takes.

Don't get me wrong, it looked perfect, I'm sure every AFOL got an instant dropped-Lego pang of sympathy for the kid on first watch, I'm just curious.
    I had a weird and nonobvious distintegration on something else already once. the far end of the build also popped off even though it shouldnt have. and not sure if someone had a successful rebels attack on the DS already
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,061
    ...disintegrate...
    ...distintegration...

No disintegration.

And the remix, for those of you that enjoy that type of thing.

starwars4everJackad7kiki180703
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,257
    For some reason, this played with the subtitles on. Not sure what other viewers get up on the screen but some of the text that came up would confuse the plot line somewhat. 
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,316
    MaffyD said:
    It's a Sony film. With some ties to the MCU. But definitely not Disney. Doesn't mean there weren't any talks about cross promotion, but unlikely to result in an early version of the new Death Star being sent to the set - it looks like a quick two second visual gag, so the old version would do just as well.
    From the web:

"Spider-Man: Homecoming is an upcoming American superhero film featuring the Marvel Comics character Spider-Man, produced by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios, and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. It is intended to be the second reboot of the Spider-Man film franchise and the sixteenth film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)."

"In February 2015, Marvel Studios and Sony reached a deal to share the character rights of Spider-Man, integrating the character into the established MCU."

I'd suspect there is a good chance it is the new Death Star after all.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
    MaffyD said:

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921
    Disney wouldn't have any bearing on whether it was the old or new Death Star because Disney effectively owns the licensing rights to both sets. Even though the older set came out before the Disney acquisition of Star Wars and didn't have a Disney logo on the box, that doesn't make it any less of a Disney product after the acquisition.

This is also why I feel like it's silly when people suggest the Death Star set was redesigned just so they could put the Disney logo on the box — LEGO could have given the set a new box with the Disney logo regardless of whether they treated it as a new set, same as how they were able to re-release the LEGO Architecture Sears Tower set with Willis Tower branding without changing the set number.

Anyway, I've seen some comments on Facebook suggesting that the Death Star in this scene could've been CGI? Not sure if there's any credence to that but it could've been a viable option to make sure it fell apart just right when dropped.
    @Aanchir, could be, but considering the amount of work involved, doubtful, practical effects would likely be easier & cheaper. My suspicions of it being the new one are based on the fact that companies generally prefer movie makers to use the currently available version of a product over previous ones.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,101
    edited December 2016
    New one...old one.... Just imagine if they screwed up the scene somehow and had to reset?
    bobabricksBillyBricks84
    Thanks @VorpalRyu, @Fireheart - it's still a Sony film. That's what the deal meant. Sony benefits from MCU branding and Marvel executive expertise in their franchise, and Marvel benefits from getting their most popular character back in the MCU at zero cost. Disney does not get to shoehorn product placement into the Sony film "just because", although like I said, they may have talked about it (just not very likely, based on the more obvious option of just using the old one).
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    New one...old one.... Just imagine if they screwed up the scene somehow and had to reset?
    I'm sure they had the PA build a few. 
    MaffyDkiki180703catwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,061
    The incessant Roxxon product placement is infuriating.  Shouldn't Hammer Industries be defunct?  How do they afford their product placement?!?
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 137
    See if Lego exists in the MCU then I wonder if Peter Parker has a Tanker Truck Takedown set? 
    starwars4ever
    @MaffyD, as I posted earlier, "produced by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios, and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing," so Disney, via Marvel Studios is footing some of the money for this. The exact percentages aren't publicly available, but I suspect it would be enough for Disney to request product placement slots.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    I've been amazed for years that we've yet to see a scene involving Lego in a Marvel Movie. It almost seems like a no brainer as far as product placement goes! 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,891
    ^Antman had Lego bricks in it in a shrunk down scene
    @VorpalRyu - Marvel Studios are listed as 'producers' on all the films based on their properties. Just look at Blade or X-Men. Doesn't mean they pay for it. According to Wikipedia: "Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films." Disney has no input, as far as I can tell.

* I am very aware I'm quoting Wikipedia here, so I will happily defer to a more authoritative source. I doubt that such a source is publicly available though...
    edited December 2016
    The best I can find at this point would be Collider:

During the press day for Captain America: Civil War, Collider’s own Haleigh Foutch posed this question to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who revealed the details of Marvel’s involvement in the Spider-Man reboot:

“We’re working very much [together]. It is a— I don’t know exactly what the credits will be, but it is a Sony Pictures production of a Marvel Studios film. The agreement was that it is very much a Sony Pictures movie. Amy Pascal is co-producing it with us and [Sony Chairman] Tom Rothman is leading the charge for Sony and that we are the creative producers. We are the ones hiring the actor, introducing him in this film, and then working right now on the script and soon to be shooting the actual Spidey film.”

Feige said the focus right now is on Civil War and the standalone Spider-Man picture, so plans aren’t yet in motion for further sequels in the new Spider-Man franchise, but he did say that Marvel’s deal with Sony does not specifically denote who can and cannot crossover between the franchises. Feige recently said that MCU characters will likely pop up in the Spider-Man film, but there are no contractual specifics as to which ones are allowed to weave between the films.

What I'd take away from that is Marvel Studios is involved in financing side of it to some degree, even if only a minor amount & Marvel has some sway with Sony....after all, if Sony don't want to do what Marvel says, Downey packs his bags & they are forced rewrite around say, Renner or Ruffalo being the MCU ringer for the current film.
    MaffyD
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    Will it ever be possible to really confirm which Death Star this was, even pausing it on Blu-Ray and zooming in? I would guess the only way to tell is trying to spot Han's new scruffy hair piece or identifying another minifig that confirms the set.

Maybe finding out when filming wrapped, or even that scene in particular, would tell us if it predates the release of the new Death Star?
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,686
    I had a closer look and I'm pretty confident it's #10188 - Death Star. The middle of the dish cannon only has cylinders, not the reinforced one from the 2016 version.
    VorpalRyuMaffyDsid3windr
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921
    MrKettle said:
    See if Lego exists in the MCU then I wonder if Peter Parker has a Tanker Truck Takedown set? 
    While this question seems silly on its surface, the store-bought Avengers masks the robbers wear in the trailer suggest that superhero merchandise does exist in this universe. So maybe there COULD be LEGO Avengers sets in the MCU? Then again, conversely, would the actual existence of those heroes and villains (and their casualties) in that universe make such sets violate the LEGO Group's "use of conflict and weapons" policy?
    VorpalRyucatwranglerpharmjod
    edited December 2016
    @Aanchir, GOLD!!! You have a solid point there...

@Adzbadboy, that's one thing I didn't think to look at... I did notice the lack of a blue part on the bottom section that I thought should be visible if it were the new one, but I chalked it up the idea that the lighting might be too low to see it.
    MaffyD
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,015
    MaffyD said:
    @VorpalRyu - Marvel Studios are listed as 'producers' on all the films based on their properties. Just look at Blade or X-Men. Doesn't mean they pay for it. According to Wikipedia: "Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films." Disney has no input, as far as I can tell.

* I am very aware I'm quoting Wikipedia here, so I will happily defer to a more authoritative source. I doubt that such a source is publicly available though...
    I think marvel/Disney has a very big part in production decisions.  It was marvel's decision to get a new actor to play spiderman (tom Holland) rather than keep the previous actor.  That is a big decision.  I would say most of the decision making is led by marvel to keep the story aligned with the rest of the universe.  I'm sure Sony has to ultimately agree to the final decisions though since marvel is playing with sony's money.
    MaffyD
    edited December 2016
    ^ I'm not saying you're wrong, but there is very little public information to give much authority to any view on here, and that is exactly how the studios like it, bearing in mind there are shareholders to appease and NDAs in force. The only point of view I hold is that because Sony is paying for it all, Disney won't get much of a look in on product placement. There is definitely a great deal of creative input that Marvel is giving to Sony (to keep it in line with the MCU) and Sony would be stupid to ignore it (as the MCU version of Spiderman is what everyone wants), but the buck stops with Sony.
    I've read a lot about this on the internet. It's all rumour and opinion and vague commentaries that could mean anything. But the internet loves all of it, so it never abates.
    ReesesPieces
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    I'm sure they had the PA build a few. 
    That was the very first thought that went through my mind when I saw the trailer.

The second was envy.
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 197
    @Aanchir good point (there were Avengers toys in the first episode of Agents of SHIELD, if memory serves, as well).  If Lego-199999 holds true to our Lego's policies, given the obvious money in Avengers merch it seems likely that clone brands will have pounced on the license (in which case I'm sure Peter wouldn't have those sets, because he's an upstanding hero; also, bad history with clones in general).  I'm not sure where this is going, but I want there to be some headcanon where the illegal knockoffs are made by Hydra.
    MaffyDVorpalRyucatwrangler
    edited December 2016
    ^ lol - clone reference. Do we even know if the Death Star was a genuine Lego product? Even in HD it would be hard to spot the logo on the studs. Could be Lepin (gah, the horror, etc etc)...

Just thought, what if in Earth-199999 it's Lepin that has the Marvel license..?!
    VorpalRyu
    Ok, so I've just gone down a rabbit hole and found Earth-13122. We just can't help categorizing stuff, can we?
    VorpalRyu
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    ^^ I think you just figured out why it fell apart so easily!
    VorpalRyubandit778gmonkey76MaffyD
  • monsterbrickmonsterbrick usaMember Posts: 1
    I have built several of the old Death Star.....even smashed most of them into a box at the end of the event....I got one left.....mayhaps I will drop it from a similar height and see what happens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterbrick/27416942812/in/dateposted/