Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Type of 1x4 brick in 335-2 Transport Truck.

I'm trying to put back together the one LEGO set my father remembers from his childhood, the 335-2 Transport truck. I am trying to make is as periodically correct as possible. I have most of the parts, but am missing two yellow 1x4s.

Bricklink isn't very helpful on whether or not the part was supposed to have antistuds. The 1x8s and 1x6s I have do not have antistuds, only cross bars. But the 1x2s I have do have the central tubes underneath.

I was wondering if anyone here has that set/knows what type of 1x4 was manufactured in this timeframe. Perhaps @Istokg @TigerMoth or @piratemania7 would know?

Thanks,

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,578
    edited December 2016
    I have a few sets from this era but not this set. From my other sets the 1 x 4 bricks should have anistuds and should have pat pend underneath and will have a casting pip on the side. You might not want to trust me entirely on this, a second opinion is nice. 
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,270
    edited December 2016
    @SprinkleOtter this would be a good example of why you should be including where you live on your Brickset profile.... ;-)

First of all, when the 1x4 bricks were introduced in 1964.... they all had antistuds (I call them "post bottom") all over the world.

The 1x6 and 1x8 bricks are another matter.  In Europe and Australia they switched to antistuds very quickly around 1964-65.  The reason for that is likely that all the cross support molds were likely shipped to Samsonite for USA/Canada to use in their LEGO sets.  So Samsonite LEGO continued to have cross support 1x6 and 1x8 until 1973.  1972 was the last year of Samsonite LEGO sales in the USA... and the 1972 Samsonite Retailer catalog image shown here still showed the old cross bottom bricks in their LEGO models.  See the musical Calliope (or whatever it's called) in the lower right of this 1972 Samsonite image..... cross supports still show up on the 1x6 and 1x8 bricks....

I also had a 225 spare parts pack of continental Europe (1963-65 with Kliklok box type)... that had 5 yellow 1x6 bricks with anti-studs, and 4 yellow 1x8 bricks with cross supports.  Due to the pristine condition of the box and parts... this was the crossover period from switching to the antistud parts in Europe (likely 1964).... and TLG saw nothing wrong in mixing box parts.

So depending on if your 331 set is Samsonite or not... the 1x4 bricks should always have antistuds, but as for the 1x6/1x8 beams.... USA/Canada ones had the cross supports, European ones had the antistuds.