Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

4-stud-wide vehicles VS. 6-stud-wide vehicles?

Scott1Scott1 United StatesMember Posts: 48

Right now I have mostly 4 stud wide vehicles, but I've been looking at the 2017 City sets, and it seems Lego is making the transition to 6 stud wide. I want to do the same, but I'm a bit worried cost-wise. I want to know what you guys have done; have you moved to 6 stud, and if so are you happy with the result? I don't want to have half and half, as they look weird right next to each other.  

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    4 and 6 wide can look fine together, so can 5. Just look in the street, there are different shapes and sizes. I do the same with trains, a mix of 6, 7, 8 and even one 10 wide.
    SprinkleOtter
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,635
    edited December 2016
    6-wide vehicles have been a staple of the LEGO City line-up for many years now; most of my 4-wide vehicles date back to the 70's and 80's so any transition occurred a long time ago for me!
    madforLEGOScott1SprinkleOtter77ncaachamps
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Yeah, Lego has been using six wide for quite some time. The small cars are still four wide, but with fenders and tires that make them closer to five or six. 
    madforLEGO77ncaachamps
  • Scott1Scott1 United StatesMember Posts: 48
    edited December 2016
    I know that Lego has been using 6 stud for large vehicles like trucks, etc., but for most City cars, it's 4. (5 with tires + fenders) And it's not just about size; 6 stud vehicles are generally more detailed. I've been wanting to change to 6-stud for a while now, I just wanted to know you guys' opinion on it.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 831
    I think we need 7 stud vehicles so we can sit two minifigs side-by-side :-)
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,672
    LEGO needs to make this piece wider so we can fit bigger vehicles in a garage. http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4218#T=C
    sid3windr
  • prettybigguyprettybigguy Bellevue, WA USAMember Posts: 21

I think that it’ time that all automobiles and light trucks are replaced with 6 (7) stud wide versions. All heavy duty vehicles (tractor trailers, fire trucks, buses, etc.) be replaced with 7 (8) stud wide versions. 

I’m happy to see the “moon buggy” wheels being replaced with the 6102594 and 6102596 combination.

As great the the designs for the Speed Champions are, their proportions would be so much better if they were wider!

• GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    I've mentioned this in the past in other speed champion discussions but the hilarity of the cars in that theme can be summed up in 1 detail:

Lego made a Ford Raptor pickup truck 8 studs wide (10 to the tires) the real truck is 86 inches wide
    Lego also made the Porsche 917K, 6 studs wide (7 with fenders) real car is 82 inches wide

for MOCed cars though I tend to stick with single seat 6 wides (plus fenders) but 5wide would also be good for some of the smaller cars (smarts, and early euro/Japanese cars) if a real car is being reproduced in scale then I try to scale it as accurate as possible.  
  • VaderFan2187VaderFan2187 MustafarMember Posts: 15
    6 wide vehicles are far better than 4 wide. I think, using jumpers, you can put to figures side by side.