Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to wipe parts?

I've come across some small radar dishes I would like to wipe (comes out slightly cheaper than buying some on BL). I tried looking for a topic covering this, but couldn't find one.

I know some people here wipe parts quite frequently. What is the best way to do so?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    I use acetone heavily diluted with water (about 10% acetone).  Other people use Brasso or abrasives such as erasers or toothpaste. It is easiest on flat parts, as you can lay a cloth flat and put a couple of drips in and rub keeping the rubbing surface flat. So you might want to practice on flat old parts first to decide the method then go for your wanted piece.

I also occasionally use a fine grit sand paper.
    SprinkleOtter
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I use pure eucalyptus oil. It won't roughen up or degrade the plastic, plus it smells great. I take a piece of cotton, soak it in eucalyptus oil, place it on the printed part, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Most of the print will dissolved by then, the rest may need a bit of rubbing. It can also be used for spot-cleaning (meaning removing part of the print) using a Q-tip.
    catwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,101
    akunthita said:
    I use pure eucalyptus oil. It won't roughen up or degrade the plastic, plus it smells great. I take a piece of cotton, soak it in eucalyptus oil, place it on the printed part, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Most of the print will dissolved by then, the rest may need a bit of rubbing. It can also be used for spot-cleaning (meaning removing part of the print) using a Q-tip.
    So this also works on newer parts? I know the old space guy logos can come off with a bit of WD-40 and some 'elbow grease', but I notice a later Blacktron I torso (print was already messed up before people freak) did not succumb to that treatment (nor with goo gone). So I have been looking for another method but not damaging to the plastic.