Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Proposal: a new subbrand, merging parts of technics and creator

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
Just looking at the new boat .. http://brickset.com/sets/42064-1/Ocean-Explorer  .. a thought occurrred to me ... 
Lego has now got to the stage where technics is sometimes indistinguishable from 'normal' lego. The boat, for example .. if the cab had been built from 'normal' bricks (which would, arguably, be better for the job) it could be mistaken for something in the creator series.

Technics is everywhere these days, so why have a subseries for it? Its just another type of brick. Even the christmas train has technics functions. 

IMO Lego should re-think the technics brand as its become a 'catch all', and segment out part of it into a new subbrand which merges the more 'stylish' technics and the more functional parts of creator. For example, if you look at the old technics supercars and the creator supercars, these shoudl really have been in the same series, and if they had been, they would be less limited about the types of bricks they could use - more 'normal lego' in technics sets and more technics in 'normal sets'. Why limit yourself? they should choose the best bricks for the job surely?

When the brand limits you product, its time to change the brand. 

The subbrand would probably aimed at older/ teen boys, mostly, better models would result, and I bet they'd open up new sales avenues too.  

Comments

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    It's an interesting thought. Certainly, Technic has become much more concerned with a smooth external look than it used to be, and I do wonder how they see the theme looking in ten years' time if they continue to refine that as they've been doing. 

I personally feel Technic has lost its brand identity a bit. But then, as far as the younger target audience is concerned, what we get today is Technic, and that old clunky studded framework stuff with the visible mechanisms is the stuff you use to make certain features in standard Lego sets work. 

And of course, the other target audience, i.e. the older Technic fan who is an enthusiast for the real vehicles depicted, and has a hobbyist or professional knowledge of engineering, mechanisms etc., is still buying Technic sets and probably loved the Porsche this year, despite a few quibbles. 

I suppose the risk is that with any change, you scare off one group or the other...
    AllBrick
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Technic components have been working their way into system themes for some time. Particularily as action features in themes like Chima or Ninjago. The only theme that is really without it is the Classic series.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    I think the idea of exploring full merging would be great. We've gotten a little bit of technic in system sets and a little bit of system in technic sets, but I think a few models with the full functionality and skeleton of technic with the refined exterior of system would be awesome. They would definitely be expensive and heavy part count models. I would guess the closest thing we have to this is something like the star destroyer models or clone turbo tanks/other large StarWars vehicles.
    catwrangler
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Yep.
    I'd still envisage technics continue, just an extra spinoff brand added with more flexibility around brick types and more polished looking designs. 

The mini/ beetle/ camper/ f40 for example.
    catwrangler