Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Have you ever bought a MOC

Have you ever bought a MOC on Ebay? What was it and was it worth the expense? 

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,606
    Yes - the MOC below. It was expensive, but definitely worth it. More details here if you're interested.

D.

flordcatwranglerkiki180703gmonkey76bandit778josekalelGothamConstructionCo
  • Scott1Scott1 United StatesMember Posts: 48
    edited November 2016

I bought this MOC of a Tiger I Ausf. E, a tank used by the Germans in the Second World War. It looked pretty nice in the picture, except when I got it I found out it was as fragile as an infant and made using tons of illegal techniques and cut parts (like homemade 1x5-stud tiles, etc.) I'm still happy though. It was fairly cheap and it looks really nice on display.

legomental
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 659
    Years ago, someone was selling a MOC of the Kenner Star Wars Imperial Troop Transport (the old SW Action Figure vehicle where you could store 6 figures on the sides and had those black mind-control helmets for prisoners).  As a long-time SWAF collector I had to have it.  It looks pretty good compared to the source!  I swapped out the samurai helmets that came with the 2 pilot/drivers for more modern AT-ST helmets, and I separately sourced 6 stormtroopers + weapons to fill up the passenger bays on the sides, but otherwise it's a nice pile of old gray goodness and a fun complement to the official SW Lego sets on my shelf.

No picture of the MOC, but here's the original...

th.jpg 12.3K
  • NorvernRobNorvernRob Sheffield, UK.Member Posts: 6
    I built Anio's Super Star Destroyer a while ago and am tempted to put it on Ebay, the problem is I have no idea whether it would hit any kind of decent price. It cost me more than £600 to build (that magnet system is hella expensive!) so I couldn't sell it cheaply! 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,004
    No I haven't.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Sort of, I've bought the instructions for Kaneda's Bike, then bought the parts from someone else who had collected them all together.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 672
    Not on eBay but have bought a few Mocs from Creations for Charity
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,902
    I've bought instructions for a few MOCs in the past. A BrickCity Depot building and one of RoscoPC's classic F1 cars.

• danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 172
    I have. I've bought several as I view them as art to display and I'm proud to have pieces from well known builders I respect.   Not even that I could not build my own version.  I just think it's cool, and a small way to support some very creative and talented people. 
    DeMonteskiki180703
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    i ve bought parts for a minifig scale batman tumbler on bricklink
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    working on the Venator from Anio atm. luckily there was a mod developed by someone already to get around the magnet parts... and i took a shortcut on the LBG levers (made expensive by the MF) by going the old light gray route. (82 lvrs for 0.60€ each instead of 5.something each)
    bandit778
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I built the swiss Ghostbusters fire house, finished it about two weeks before rumours of the LEGO one started. Still love it though.
  • Johnyk668Johnyk668 Melbourne, Australia Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2016
    I bought instructions for the Johnny 5 build that gathered 10,000 supporters on Lego ideas but didn't get approved.
    Looks great as a display model, a bit fragile to move around.

catwranglerricecakekiki180703stluxSlapNuts
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    I've done several MOC's: Cavegods AT-AT, Mortesv's Nebulon-B, and two of Brickcity's Modulars to name a few. All were fun and challenging to collect the parts and build. The only one I truly bought off eBay was the plans for a train depot.  As I assembled it, it became obvious that the designer had never actual build the model as there were pieces that didn't exist and several structural problems. I actually enjoyed the process of fine tuning the model and it's a building that I proudly display on my layout. I wrote the guy a very nice critique with suggested parts and building changes. I never heard back from him and never saw the depot for sale on eBay again.   
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 500
    ^^Your photo came out way better than mine. Agree that the model is fragile - the head is especially prone to falling off at the slightest touch.
    Johnyk668kiki180703
  • NorvernRobNorvernRob Sheffield, UK.Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2016
    I rarely build anything else. I've done Anio's SSD, Speeder Bike, Sith Infiltrator, BB8, C3PO, AT-AT and A-Wing. I've done my own mods to a few of them and am currently finishing 6 Snowspeeders for a Hoth scene. I've also built an Ep7 UCS Falcon, and 2 of Gol's AT-ST's. 

Some of the stuff out there by some very talented people is amazing.

I love sourcing the parts and building things not many people have, I only build official Lego sets when I want to switch off and relax.