Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset Bonusball Bonanza - UK draw 26/11/2016

snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,044
This week's bonusball is a triumvirate of @SumoLego who provided the prize, @iso3200 who is sending it and myself who is doing the admin ;) We are giving @bendybadger some more time off so he can save his pounds for buying Mrs. Badger a lovely Christmas present.

Talking about spouses, there are a few mentions of wives/husbands/girlfriends/parents/... that complain a bit when us AFOL's buy a bit too much Lego (especially when there are offers on...). What I'd like to know is, what does your significant other/parent/child/... do that you like to complain about? Spend lots of money on shoes? Never put the seat of the toilet down? Sing out of tune along with the radio? ... If you are an independent sort of person, you can just share what annoys you in general about the world ;)

I first thought of asking what you are most thankful about in the spririt of Thanksgiving, but a bit of a moan can be fun too!

Any new people might wonder how this works, well, it's simple. Answer the above question, and get a number based on your post in order between 1 and 59 for the UK national lottery bonus ball.  If your number gets drawn on Saturday night you win the prize.  If you don't make the first 59 replies, well there's always next week to be a little quicker.

Oh and you want to know what the prize is? It's a lovely little #30278  X-wing.

Good luck all!
GothamConstructionCoSumoLegokiki180703thebeermonkeymessybrickedinLegogramLegoboysolid_stridertallblocktooricecake

Comments

• Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,553
    Step on lego. Then say it's my fault. Slowly winning though, as my first winter village set of Santa's workshop is ordered and set to go on the mantlepiece above the fireplace all going well.....
    snowhitie
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    My wife has a terrible habit of collecting pets, we were up past 20 a while ago, Cat, Fish, Hamsters, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Chickens, can't move for animals.  Takes up for too much space ;-p
    SprinkleOtterGothamConstructionCokiki180703snowhitiecatwranglerbandit778
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,393
    My wife fortunately doesn't complain about what I spend on Lego, and even likes putting together sets. She even has some sets which are *hers*, and are in her mind most definitely not mine. Even though I do add them to my owned sets here on Brickset ;)
    What she does moan about from time to time is the backlog off books she has. She does read several books a week, but buys them at an even faster clip. I then berate/roll my eyes/laugh about her luxury problems, which gets me a black mark in her notebook for lack of empathy...
    TheBigLegoskicatwrangler
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 775
    My wife likes to collect little lists of all my bad habits and every so often gets them out and read them aloud, mainly when we have company.
    SprinkleOtterBumblepantsiso3200SumoLegomessySirBensnowhitiebandit778khmellymel
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 375
    Breathe during the night! Not just breathe, sounds like a drain! 
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 583
    My significant other DEFINITELY doesn't do this, but I have a friend who's wife tries to have really complex conversations via text while he's at work. He says it drives him nuts especially if she's texting during meetings. ;)
    SprinkleOtterTheBigLegoskicatwranglerRenegade007cjh
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    She puts her handbag on the floor, next to the table instead of on the table. Does my nut in, more that it is completely illogical than messy.
    SprinkleOtterGothamConstructionCo
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,996
    I do pretty much all the housework except the laundry. The wife uses our dining table as a dumping ground for what comes out of the tumble drier. She then irons just enough for what is needed for the day (every day) and the pile of clothes gets bigger. I refer to the dining table as "tabletop mountain". Needless to say, we don't eat at the table.

Very annoying!
    snowhitie
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,397
    General silliness - but I've always been this way so she knew what she was getting into
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    My mom complains about all the Lego that I buy. 
    kezsnowhitie
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,591
    Not sure I dare comment in public...

MrsB does seem to expect me to know everything.  Why that person walking past the house looked in our garden.  Why Sainsburys don't stock the exact brand of something she is after.  Why the public keep voting for Ed Balls.  Why reporters stand outside parliament at 10pm rather than just doing their bit from a nice warm studio.  And so forth.  It gets a bit wearing some days.
    TheBigLegoskiLegogramsnowhitiecatwranglerRenegade007cjhbandit778
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,751
    Ah, I see. @SumoLego , @snowhitie and @iso3200 didn't want to have to answer this question, so they decided to run the raffle instead ;)

It's not that annoying, but plain funny that people here will momentarily act like this is some kind of "LEGO Addicts anonymous" meeting, and that we're all here to help them. That viewpoint evaporates a few posts later when we all encourage them to buy more LEGO.
    stluxTheBigLegoskiSumoLegocatwranglerRenegade007cjhkhmellymel
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    My brother's cat enjoys chewing my LEGO...
    SprinkleOtter
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    I find it annoying when anyone turns the lights off in my house. I have motion sensors that turn them on and off automatically, so when someone turns them off at the switch, they won't automatically come on again!
    SprinkleOtter
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,582
    Buys wholewheat pasta. Pasta is meant to be white. Wholewheat bread I can live with, but pasta? Yuck.

SprinkleOtterJudgeChuckSumoLegoeggshenmessycatwranglernychromastoneBumblepants
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    Me sister is excellent at coming up with plans that involve me spending money that
    I don't have.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,382
    My other half is generally great, but she has one really annoying habit, when we're relaxing on the sofa watching a film or series in the evening, of pausing it to tell me something about her day and then resuming whatever we're watching. 10 seconds later, she'll pause it again to tell me something else about whatever it was she was telling me, but had forgotten earlier. And then she'll do it again a further 10 seconds later. It drives me loony! ;-)
    TheBigLegoskiTheOriginalSimonBRenegade007cjhtallblocktoobandit778
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 773
    My wife likes to set a used tea bag on its own little plate, instead of just tossing it straight into the garbage. I typically end up throwing them out.
    Renegade007cjh
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,457
    edited November 2016
    My girlfriend never complains about what I spend - it's my money, and she doesn't know how much I spend. :D (Hah, excellent trick, isn't it?)

I'm not sure if there's anything I regularly complain about. That she leaves the lights on everywhere when she leaves the house, even though we have a nice "all lights off" button right by the front door!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,917
    edited November 2016

My mum: "If we come to sell the house it is going to be really hard. They will just think this room is really messy and cluttered"

Me "Why? Are they buying the things in it as well?"

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,431
    Being as @snowhitie puts it an independent sort of person again, I am free of such idiosyncrasies. So no complaints about the complaining of any other significant other at the moment on my part.

Furthermore I have decided some time ago to try and adopt a somewhat stoical  attitude here on this forum when it concerns all sorts of non-Lego related topics, which admittedly isn't always easy being opinionated, generally not shying from anything controversial, and taking an interest in current affairs, as well as being sometimes a little curious about what people here think/believe about all sorts of other issues too.
    Yet this became clear to me on the off-topic topic: '(a little) respect for Donald Trump', where I, even though I did not favour, and still feel impartial to both major candidates (less diplomaticly put: they both suck!), but did appreciate that thread as a place to both ridicule and discuss the election and its candidates. I came to this conclusion some time after placing a remark about the unnecessity to engage in personal attacks, and the BS-member who I addressed felt it furthermore necessary to twist my words around, attribute words to me I did not write, falsely accuse me of hypocrisy, and go on a preposterous rant about fascism. The bitter sweet irony of someone decrying that certain topics to be just toxic, only then to elaborate and proof himself to be the most poisonous commenter on the thread, made me realize again: A. some people on the web are just not worth my time and energy, and entering into a discussion with them is likely to be not productive and/or pointless; B. the Brickset forum is not the best place for such discussions, especially as I like this virtual spot as a sort of sanctuary where not to engage in verbal flame-wars, but just our shared hobby.

So long live Lego & Brickset!  
    SumoLegoSirBen
  • thebeermonkeythebeermonkey GlasgowMember Posts: 390
    edited November 2016
    Ooh! An interesting question @snowhitie

This is just for fun, right? And not a way of collecting very blackmailable information to use at a later date? ;-)

My significant other tends to answer questions that she'd like to be asked rather than the question being asked. 
    messyGothamConstructionCosnowhitieRenegade007cjhbandit778
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 297
    edited November 2016
    By being. 

On on the other hand - he is my Lego facilitator so I'd better shush. 
    messy
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 867
    Hmmm...well, she tries to be the voice of reason when I'm planning my Lego purchases...    
  • sukhsukh Member Posts: 142
    Over buys food! And then claims it was for me 
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 245
    On the rare occasions the Mrs washes up she leaves the spoons bowl side up so they get water marks while air drying, I know in the greater scheme of life this is a trivial matter but it annoys the hell out of me!
    TheOriginalSimonBsnowhitie
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 406
    edited November 2016

...doesn't wash up properly! 

We have a dishwasher, but the few items that are handwashed like frying pans are never properly cleaned.

Now I'm in trouble...

snowhitiekhmellymel
  • toftof Member Posts: 147
    Complains aboard t the fact I won't be able to display all my sets because of the lack of room space
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Every fall my Significant other would buy a pair of Black boots. It drove me crazy to see multiple pairs from previous years pilling up. Then one year she actually found 'the' pair and has been in love with them ever since. She's had the same pair for the past three years. :D 
  • MasterBeefyMasterBeefy US of AMember Posts: 121
    Nothing worth complaining about really, but my family can be really bad about putting dvd and games back into their cases.  
    Renegade007cjhBumblepants
  • LegogramLegogram PA USAMember Posts: 320
    My hubby always splashes water every which way whenever he uses a sink, but never wipes it up. Drives me nuts, since I frequently forget to check first. :-( My other complaint is that he is my lego enabler, and sometimes pushes me to buy when I know I shouldn't. :-)
    snowhitie
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    edited November 2016
    I'm not married yet, but the caliber of dudes out there in the Age of Tinder is ridiculous. I could write a book of strange experiences with strange people :P

I'll give a general complaint about family who visit me: wearing their shoes inside the house. You're tracking in mud, shoes by the door please, I'll give you slippers.
    Renegade007cjhkhmellymel
  • PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 275
    Leaves cold dishwashing water in the sink after washing up. Should be grateful for the washing up having been done, but.....
    GothamConstructionCo
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 582
    General messiness of the children's toys (which encourages me to keep my Lego contained so I don't have to hear about it overtaking the house as well).
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 364
    My wife will always be sitting on the thing she is looking for - her mobile phone, the remote, anything. She'll have me hunt everywhere and then when we can't find it, I'll get her to stand up and there is was all the time, exactly where she's sitting.
    TheOriginalSimonBSumoLegosnowhitieRenegade007cjhbandit778
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    Not washing her coffee mug in the morning. 
  • janscjansc The Netherlands Member Posts: 60
    Not turning on the dishwasher in the evening and find everything still dirty in the morning. The person that closes it should also turn it on!
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,090
    The only thing I can publicly mention is her thinking that Sunday mornings are for getting up early & going to church rather than their proper purpose of having a lie-in
    Renegade007cjh
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 307
    My wife cannot say goodbye to any of the shopping bags she gets when shopping. Not that she does anything with them or uses them or looks after, she does just czn get rid of them.
    snowhitiebandit778khmellymel
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    She does seem to think that i can hear her even if we are at opposite ends of the house with the doors to the rooms shut and other things like radios/washing machines/ kettles on in the background. But its always me that has to go to her. Arrghh.
    TheOriginalSimonBsnowhitiestluxmessyLegogrambandit778nexander
  • MextenMexten MexicoMember Posts: 70
    My wife collects these decorative souvenir plates. They are sooooo ugly. Once in a while I try to hint that she has too many, but am interrupted with a "but you have a lot of Lego". I hate it!
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    My wife is now an ex wife. With the exception of the strain it placed on our kids and extended families , I find I have less to complain about as each day passes...
    Renegade007cjh
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,035
    I'm single so my only complaint is not having anyone to complain about. :(
    LegoboyTheOriginalSimonBsnowhitieSumoLegoGothamConstructionCostluxkiki180703bandit778
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,001
    It annoys me when my wife likes certain Lego sets. I look forward to getting a great Lego set to really enjoy the build, e.g. Disney castle, and then we have to share the build!!!! I don't get the whole experience! I know, I know, that it's great I can use the excuse that the Lego is for 'us' but then she wants the build it.... 
    Renegade007cjh
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    My wife has never met a cupboard door that she was able to close....

sid3windrsnowhitieGothamConstructionCokiki180703Legogrambandit778khmellymelricecake
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    Leaves his shoes where I'm bound to trip over them!
    Legogramkhmellymel
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    edited November 2016
    My ex hated the sound of Lego being rummaged through, I had to wait till she was out or sleeping. When asleep, I still had to close the doors and spread it out thinly to make no noise.... But now I'm FREE! I can make Lego percussion instruments if I want... . . . . Edit: Totally misread question... To answer, far too much to list.
    sid3windrcatwranglerRenegade007cjhbandit778
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 486
    Complaining about Lego taking up too much room! Drives me bonkers!