Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

40179 Mosaic Portrait

DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 616
4500 1x1 plates plus a 48x48 baseplate and a brick separator.  GBP100 at the new Leicester store.

davetheoxygenmanpharmjodBrickDancerkiki180703josekalel77ncaachampscatwrangler

Comments

• tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Cool idea!  Is this going to remain exclusive to this store?
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    "GBP100 at the new Leicester *Square* store." 

It's exclusive right now. Who knows where they might also install it? 

It is a cool idea but sooooo expensive 
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,944
    Although this does seem expensive for a box of 1x1 plates, from experience at making my own using new tiles varying in size from 1x1 up to 1x8 it's actually quite a good price for making up a mosaic.
    Even using Bricklink prices for the quantities required it's probably going to cost more than the set does, and you have to do all the hard work yourself.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    edited November 2016
    I remember when LEGO would offer this via the website before. Sounds like they are re-testing the waters. I have a lot of questions about how they are implementing this so it works for the regular moms & dads out there. 
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703SumoLegocatwrangler
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    "Hi, I'd like a mosaic made only out of the most expensive 1x1 variety please."
    TheBrickPalkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,218
    I suspect it will remain at very least in store exclusive - just what stores get it might change. Leicester Square is the kind of area that people are more likely to spend more than normal for souvenir type purchases.

while it might be a good price for that many 1x1 plates, it's a very restricted palette so you could probably still do a better job for less (if you use other sized plates) but would involve extra leg work.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,952
    edited November 2016
    Must be a bit of a chore putting on so many 1x1 plates (especially if you don't like them all to look wonky!). And although 1x1 plates are cheap, it's cheaper still to use larger plates wherever possible. There's obvious potential for savings on the background colour at least.

E.g. this is about a third of the cost of the equivalent thing made out of 1x1 plates, is more fun to build, and looks better imho:

pharmjodWilliam_Townsleykiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Might seem pricey, but that is a fantastic RRP price for what you get in 1x1 plates. I see plates in yellow, white, light bley, dark bley, and black only I'm guessing. But what color is the baseplate?
    edited November 2016
    You can fit, what, two thousand 1x1 plates in a large Pick a Brick cup? That makes it seem pricey to me (can't remember if all of those colours have been available on the wall, though!)
    SumoLego
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^But it's rare to find 1x1 plates at PAB. I've done a lot of mosaics and usually have to resort to BL where they really add up even at $0.02 - $0.04 a piece.
    It's a 48x48 light bley baseplate
    BrickDancerkiki180703
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    I'd buy one!  Regardless of it seeming pricey but thats unlikely as I won't be jetting off to London any time soon.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,298

E.g. this is about a third of the cost of the equivalent thing made out of 1x1 plates, is more fun to build, and looks better imho:

But you get limited definition of the image using plates. 1x1 offers the most detail. Looks pretty cool, not sure I'd get one, but its a great idea.
    But you get limited definition of the image using plates. 1x1 offers the most detail. Looks pretty cool, not sure I'd get one, but its a great idea.
    It should give exactly the same detail - use 1x1 plates only where you have to, and larger plates instead wherever possible. E.g. if you have two 1x1 plates of the same colour right next to each other, replace them with a single 1x2 plate instead. It works out cheaper per stud and the end result is the same in terms of what colour each "pixel" is.

Here's one I made of my cat using that approach - it was a right pain sneaking him into the photo booth (joke!). It would have cost about 3x more if I had used 1x1 plates throughout.

koshkaMegtheCatkiki180703pharmjodsnowhitie
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 848
    edited November 2016
    I have never seen 1x1 plates in those colours on the PaB wall and knowing how difficult it is to get 1x1 plates in decent quantities to keep my Bricklink store customers happy, I will be getting a set from my visit there tomorrow.

I had visions of a 1x1dispenser counting the required amount of plates to match the photograph! but I now see that the set is already made up with 4500 1x1 plates which gives 2198 spares once you have created the mural using 2302 plates. This makes much more sense.

I think it is a great idea, just hope the queue isn't too long tomorrow...

I reckon 900 of each colour = 4500 + baseplate and separator =4502 pieces.

snowhitie
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    @paul_merton - I think you're absolutely right in terms of your approach to mosaics and the use of plates to keep costs down - I think I'm right that I've seen a few other things you've done on here and you're pretty damn good at it!

I have to say though that I think this is a great offering from Lego - as people have said, the Leicester Sq store is a place where holiday impulse purchases will be rife, and having tested out the photobooth thing and seeing how good a mosaic can look I think a lot of people will be tempted - rest assured I am (and I would be genuinely tempted to have the rest of the family done too!)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    ^^ and of course bigger plates are a lot easier to break down than just 1x1s.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 848
    ^^^ and assemble....
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    @Calv I was the first customer to use the machine on Thursday, but I did not see any queues at the "photo booth" during the +/- 3 hours I spent at the store. You have to purchase a ticket to use the machine at the checkout first though, so time to get a mosaic depends entirely on any queues to get in/to the checkouts that there might be on Friday.
    For anybody who might think if gifting a mosaic to somebody: now that I've had a minute to look at the back of the card I had to buy to use the photo booth, I see it is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.

So you can easily gift a card to somebody to then redeem for their personalized mosaic as long as they're able to make it to the Leicester Square store within the next 12 months.
    LostInTranslationmessyLegoboykiki180703snowhitieLego_StarAdzbadboy
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 170
    ^Is the booth entirely automated, or is there an attendant?
    @tomahawker There was somebody available from the staff in case you needed help or had any questions, but otherwise it's fully automated. You hold the card you have bought at the counter at the designated spot (NFC?) and then the machine guides you through the process. Not more complicated than a normal photo booth.
    The one part where the store employee comes in the picture is putting the printout of your mosaic in the box, and reseal the box for you.
    tomahawkerkiki180703
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,174
    I like the idea, but it should be online so that the consumer can pixelate whatever photo that they desire. Makes gifting easier.
    catwrangler
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    The last thing I want is a mosaic of my own face. I'm blonde so there isn't much differentiation between skin tone and hair/beard. Do you think they'd have any issue with me holding up a photo of someone else? I wouldn't mind gifting it to someone or even a decent mosaic of Bill Murray. I'm aware of the websites/software knocking about to make your own, it's finding the 5000 plates I'd want to do a 96x48.
    LostInTranslationkiki180703
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 230
    Going by the videos and pictures online of the booth, it doesn't have a curtain like a passport photo booth. I hope that prevents any *ahem* inappropriate mosaic pictures being generated.
    lissa
    It does have a curtain. 
    vizzitorkiki18070377ncaachamps
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,298
    He's missed a yellow 1x1 of that!
    wardm
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    And bottom left too.
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 230
    It does have a curtain. 
    I must be going blind. Thanks for that.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,097
    stlux said:
    Got one today, and had my set signed by the designer :)
    That must be the easiest set ever designed!

"Hmm, let's grab 4500 1x1 plates of various colours and whack 'em in a box... Done!"

;-)
    William_Townsleykiki180703
  • sparklytorisparklytori Member Posts: 2
    Being really thick here... you do get to make/build it yourself don't you? 
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 493
    You get the pixellated picture (as shown above) and a baseplate and lots of 1 x 1 plates in 5 cardboard boxes. Then you can do what you like with it. Some sort of minimalist stripes come to mind.
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    Yes. Its in effect a box containing a large base plate and seperate boxes of 1x1 plates in a larger box.  The machine prints the design for you once you finish adjusting the image in the booth.

I wonder how hard it would be to mash up some mindstorms to "print" these for real!
    stlux said:
    Got one today, and had my set signed by the designer :)
    That must be the easiest set ever designed!

"Hmm, let's grab 4500 1x1 plates of various colours and whack 'em in a box... Done!"

;-)
    Well, there was also the whole machine and the video animation to create :)
    Lego_Star
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,859
    @joel4motion I was wondering that too. I guess you could buy the box with the plates and then print out your own picture with online software to make a mosaic. Only thing is that you'll have to open the box then and put in something you've printed out yourself instead of an official Lego-page. I like the idea though and maybe if this is a success they'll make them available online too.
    @snowhitie The box comes out of the machine after you have had your picture taken, so you cannot just buy the box. Wouldn't prevent you from changing the mosaic picture Lego provided with one of your own later on of course.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,476
    Sorry if this question has been answered..... Does the ratio of 1x1 plate colours in the box differ depending on the photo you take (i.e. are the parts in the box bespoke per customer)? Or is it a standard set of bricks in each one?
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,859
    @thefew There is a standard number.

@stlux yeah sorry didn't explain so well, meant that you then change your own picture for the new one. Or I'll Just put my son in there ;)
    ^ Judging by the fact that it contains nearly twice as many parts as you would need to fill a 48x48 baseplate, I guess they all contain the same standard set of plates.

Presumably the photo booth itself would stop you choosing a photo that contains too many pixels of a certain colour...
    catwrangler
    Thanks for the info. The "booth" is a bit less magic than I had assumed!!!
    SumoLego
    When I first saw it, I wondered whether there is actually just a little person inside it who pushes the box out. Is there? IS THERE?!?!?!
    snowhitiekiki180703sid3windrTheMaker37LegoboyJern92
    When I first saw it, I wondered whether there is actually just a little person inside it who pushes the box out. Is there? IS THERE?!?!?!
    Peter Dinklage's Summer job?
  • Sven_FSven_F CroatiaMember Posts: 17
    I was initially very excited about this, naively thinking i could just wear a sand blue t-shirt and get a bunch of plates in that color.  It's a nice idea,  probably better suited for people like my mom who are able to appreciate things for their novelty value. 
  • lissalissa Campbell, CAMember Posts: 3
    vizzitor said:
    Going by the videos and pictures online of the booth, it doesn't have a curtain like a passport photo booth. I hope that prevents any *ahem* inappropriate mosaic pictures being generated.
    Yup, I agree with you......