Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What's your LEGO 'status' today?

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,685
    You can message BL sellers and ask, right?
    andhe
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 772
    @Astrobricks, I did. We'll see!
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 772
    My Santa's sleigh arrived, looks really cool, looking forward to building it, but we're saving it until December. Mrs Speedy picked up a freebie FB LEGO pile the other day. Lots of random bricks and part built Creator set and in the bottom four green army men minifigs and the instruction book for the set, but not sign of the jeep. Found a BL seller with just the jeep for a couple of quid. They're now on patrol in my street.

This looks great, Steve! The only problem is, the yellow tooth isn't completely connected to the modular's awning.
    VgangWesterBricksandhe
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,172
    PJ76uk said:
    Feeling slightly annoyed, received my Bricklink order today and despite making purchases of both new and used bricks they all arrived in grimy condition so its impossible to tell which is the new from the used bricks. Also not all bricks were genuine Lego so messaged the seller and awaiting a response.

On the positive side, whilst boxing up some of the junk in the attic ready for our move I found an old plastic tub with about 2 dozen polybags in, nothing rare or exciting but it will come in very useful whilst the bulk of my collection is in storage for the next 6 months or so!
    I only sell real LEGO and new/used is one of the things I separate when bagging it up. Crazy idea, right?
    560HeliportWesterBricksPJ76uk
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,172
    The Titanic set was mentioned on SNL Weekend Update "Largest set ever, nine thousand pieces ... but 900 of them are frozen Irishmen"
    Bumblepants560HeliportYellowcastlepxchrisSwitchfoot55
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,405
    @Speedman29, you've inspired me to put my Toy Story Army Men and Jeep out into my Winter Village this year with that picture! Not sure why I had never thought of it before!

@Modeltrainman, in my experience with BL sellers who say "pre-bagged in bags of xx," it usually means that you have to buy in multiples of that number. But, seeing as they have less than a "full bag" according to their listing, I'm not entirely sure what's going on?
    560HeliportModeltrainmanautolycus
    @Switchfoot55, Do it! It'd be great! (And Rex on a sled.) Secondly, yup. It was weird. In the end, another seller had more parts I was after...
    Switchfoot55panchox1
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 998
    Finished Fire Brigade — just had the roof left when it was dinner time yesterday. Rearranged my entire cabinet, clearing out some random SW bits and bobs that were taking up the whole bottom shelf, and moving OFS, DO, and AS to that shelf and re-ordering the ones left on the 2nd shelf. Now I’ve got plenty of room on the top shelf for GE and GG. I think CG will go next to the diner, so there will be nice visibility for the two corners on that shelf. 

And this is why I need a full Lego room. I need this cabinet to be at least 3 more shelves tall to have enough space for more modulars!!
    Cymbeline560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,990
    @Speedman29, you've inspired me to put my Toy Story Army Men and Jeep out into my Winter Village this year with that picture! Not sure why I had never thought of it before!

I love adding non City sets or minifigs into my street. The rooftops of my modulars are littered with DC and Marvel characters
    Switchfoot55CymbelineKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegoGibbo1959Mr_CrossMaffyDgratefulnat
  • sipusssipuss PolandMember Posts: 56
    edited October 12

I love adding non City sets or minifigs into my street. The rooftops of my modulars are littered with DC and Marvel characters
    That's the very reason I got #5004930 . Now, I don't have #10278 yet, but its rooftop is already occupied.
    autolycusKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLegoryderfan
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 442
    I have the Bat Signal on one corner roof top in my city and Catwoman from #70902 on the opposite corner.
    MarshallmarioKungFuKenny560HeliportSumoLego
  • PhoenixioPhoenixio CanadaMember Posts: 92
    Went to the store to impulse buy some sets, thought I could give a closer look to the Stuntz subtheme.  Only 1 set was available: #60293, and wowza, 40$ for a 73 pieces set?!  Even Vidiyo had better prices for their beatboxes.  What is this madness?!  Even if you account for 5$ per minifig and per motorcycle (per the 10$ price of single racers), that's still 20$ for something like 60 pieces...

So I left empty ended and quite sad.  This will definitely have to wait for some sort of sale, as rare as they can be in Canada...
    EGRoberts
  • EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 209
    Phoenixio said:
    Went to the store to impulse buy some sets, thought I could give a closer look to the Stuntz subtheme.  Only 1 set was available: #60293, and wowza, 40$ for a 73 pieces set?!  Even Vidiyo had better prices for their beatboxes.  What is this madness?!  Even if you account for 5$ per minifig and per motorcycle (per the 10$ price of single racers), that's still 20$ for something like 60 pieces...

So I left empty ended and quite sad.  This will definitely have to wait for some sort of sale, as rare as they can be in Canada...
    Ya I looked at those sets but not really something I want. Been focused on collecting up a ton of new star wars sets and using bricktober as my excuse at TRU. Light at the end of the tunnel though Phoenixio, black friday and xmas deals approach! Somewhere someone will have to have at least 1 good deal... Also Mastermind Toys always has a bunch of sets %50 off on boxing day to clear older stock retiring if you have one near you. Also if you join the Armed Forces you get discounts on top of sales (tru is %10 even on sale stuff). Join the Army! It's not a job, it's a calling... with discounts! 
    Phoenixio
  • EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 209
    Also to make you feel better look what I missed by like 10 minutes today;

As my 10 year old son would say "worst day ever!"  lol but I'll live.... barely.... 
    560HeliportWesterBricksMarshallmarioFizyxsnowhitie
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 647
    Phoenixio said:

Pretty bad... but ey, Amazon will have them at 40% in no time (already got my boys #60295 for €50 (RRP €99,95)) :)

Brickfan50560HeliportpxchrisOnebricktoomanypanchox1snowhitie
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,602
    Working through cleaning up some classic sets I've recently purchased and came across a pheonominom I personally hadn't seen before - faded black bricks. Now, I've certainly come across my fair share of yellowed and/or faded white and light gray bricks as well as blue bricks that are either yellowed or looked kind of bleached out, but this is the first time I've ever seen the same on black bricks. At first I just thought they were dusty/dirty, but washing has no effect on them. I am getting the impression that this set got a lot of sun in it's past life. Even a few of the red bricks seem a bit faded to me. It's quite odd.

Thankfully the set as a whole is in good condition and I think I should be able to easily replace the small handful of bricks that are faded from my bulk.
    FizyxEGRobertsBumblepants
    ^I picked up a bulk lot a few years back that had a lot of classic era sets/bricks and had the same thing happen with some of the black and red. It definitely is an odd phenomenon. They became filler in other projects eventually.  
    I accidentally dropped one of my Powered Up train motors. Seems to be fine, though. Just can't make a habit of it! God is good. I do wish it was more powerful though. Don't really want to link 2 for a 4 car train,  (Casey Jr., still)as that seems like overkill.
    Switchfoot55veyniac
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,663
    @pxchris Very nice score! I'll agree with including #1788 in Islanders. I didn't realize that blue palm tree piece was so rare- maybe because I have all three sets it came in! ;) #6286 Skull's Eye Schooner is on display in my living room. Islanders is one of the very best LEGO sub-themes ever. 
    pxchris
  • PhoenixioPhoenixio CanadaMember Posts: 92
    I miss Islanders, such an innocent colorful theme.  I had the smaller sets, and that double canoe was my most played.  Too bad we'll never see anything like that again, unless they make another Moana...
    pxchrisBumblepants
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,984
    @pxchris I always get massive envy at your posts. I stupidly sold my pirates stuff when I was 20 and now really regret it. Slowly rebuilding is not fun.
    pxchrisBrickfan50
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 613
    Currently can't decide if I'm lucky or unlucky!

Ordered 20 packs of series 2 Bandmates from Lego and they finally arrived today after delays in shipping. Instead of having 20 packs in the box there was 22, so 2 free packs - lucky you might think. Unfortunately I've received 2 identical sets of 11, so unluckily I still need one more Bandmate, DJ Rasp-Beary. Hopefully I can trade for the missing one in the marketplace!
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 401
    New wish list on lego.com is live and it sucks. can't have more than 30 items on a list. Why do companies try to improve something that isn't broken and then make it a pain in the ass to use? I used to have my wish list to pad orders to get free shipping or a GWP. Or have a list of sets I have a tiny interest in and take a shot on them to see if I like the build. Now I probably won't get those sets because they are not there easily in front of me in a convenient list.
    autolycus
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 845
    PJ76uk said:
    Currently can't decide if I'm lucky or unlucky!

Ordered 20 packs of series 2 Bandmates from Lego and they finally arrived today after delays in shipping. Instead of having 20 packs in the box there was 22, so 2 free packs - lucky you might think. Unfortunately I've received 2 identical sets of 11, so unluckily I still need one more Bandmate, DJ Rasp-Beary. Hopefully I can trade for the missing one in the marketplace!
    Seems most who order 20 need this one. (I did it twice with me and a friend and still need Puppy and Rasp-Beary)

Very frustrating...
    PJ76uk
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 613
    Seems most who order 20 need this one. (I did it twice with me and a friend and still need Puppy and Rasp-Beary)

Very frustrating...
    Well I've put a post in marketplace to trade, if I have biblical then I guess I will resort to bricklink...
    @pxchris I always get massive envy at your posts. I stupidly sold my pirates stuff when I was 20 and now really regret it. Slowly rebuilding is not fun.
    Yeah... that's a tough one!

I do however quite enjoy the hunt. As I've gone about rebuilding my childhood collection I've found the process of digging through my bulk pieces, then searching out the missing items on Bricklink, or in other cases just hunting for a good deal on the entire set to be quite a satisfactory process. My bank account however finds the process a bit less enjoyable.

More so than just simply rebuilding the collection I had as a kid is that now I branch out into all of the other sets that I was never able to get back then in the 80s or 90s. Like with the Islanders, as mentioned I only ever had the catamaran before. With the main pirates theme I only had a handful of sets (most importantly Eldorado Fortress) but have now been able to collect everything from the first few years that I'd always wanted. This is adult me with money fulfilling my childhood dreams.
    560HeliportPhoenixioCymbelinelowleadRedbullgivesuwindMarshallmarioFizyx
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 426
    New wish list on lego.com is live and it sucks. can't have more than 30 items on a list. Why do companies try to improve something that isn't broken and then make it a pain in the ass to use? I used to have my wish list to pad orders to get free shipping or a GWP. Or have a list of sets I have a tiny interest in and take a shot on them to see if I like the build. Now I probably won't get those sets because they are not there easily in front of me in a convenient list.
    Just create an excel list locally on your PC and update it as you buy/change your mind.
    Never trust 3rd parties to do the job for you. 
    Heck (and i'm Sorry to say this) i dont even trust brickset to last indedinitely, so i have an ever expanding excel sheet with all my sets per theme etc, with number of pieces, numbrr of minifigs and even the price i payed for it just in case i'll sell one at a later date.
    The file uploads to a dropbox account every time i'm saving it, so even if your pc is on fire, the file is still available. 
    edited October 21
    Well, if Brickset ever dies we're all pretty much up sh*ts creek anyways, right? haha

But, the great thing about Brickset at least is it is super easy to export all of the set data to an Excel friendly CSV format should that ever become necessary. I love Excel and I creat sheets for all kinds of things, but for my primary logging of set purchases Brickset is far, far better in every way in my opinion.

(edit: I should clarify that for my personal use, I've actually changed everything over from Excel to Google Sheets which is about 1000% more convenient)
    AstrobricksKungFuKenny
  • Diamondback_SixDiamondback_Six USAMember Posts: 181
    Until Google decides to crap the bed... I still burn archival DVD's regularly, and use external HDD's for redundant backups and most of my bulk storage.

Not to mention the various special security requirements clients impose on their NDA materials... I had one that insisted that I store their files on a drive that when it was connected and under power it had to have a Deadman Switch that I had to reset every 30 minutes or it'd wipe the drive, another required an external drive that my laptop be hard-disconnected from all networks while the drive was plugged in. Ya take their money, ya do what they tell ya within reason and legality, ya know?
    SumoLego
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,984
    pxchris said:

I do however quite enjoy the hunt. 

It is def part of the thrill to hunt them down and try and find them. 

More so than just simply rebuilding the collection I had as a kid is that now I branch out into all of the other sets that I was never able to get back then in the 80s or 90s. Like with the Islanders, as mentioned I only ever had the catamaran before. With the main pirates theme I only had a handful of sets (most importantly Eldorado Fortress) but have now been able to collect everything from the first few years that I'd always wanted. This is adult me with money fulfilling my childhood dreams.
    Ha ha that is exactly how I approach it. What did I want as a kid but never get. I found a website that has lots of old Argos catalogues. I just sat through them as 8 year old me demanded it all.
    pxchris
    There was a season of life when I was younger where my older sisters and I would watch Home Alone at least once a day all winter long. We were beyond obsessed with it. Seeing photos of the actual set have me simultaneously wanting to watch the movie and buy the set. I think it's really well done!
    560HeliportModeltrainmanpxchrisKungFuKennyCymbelineWesterBricksvizzitor

Switchfoot55Cymbeline560HeliportflightriskKungFuKenny
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,356
    ...from 2001, including his instructions and oddly greyscale box...
    The grayscale box is perfectly appropriate as a symbol of the proto-bankruptcy era of LEGO.  Nothing makes less sense in the marketing and sale of a toy (or even a larger scale model for adults) that a completely bland grayscale piece of cardboard devoid of the fun and vibrancy of the thing it contains.

I've got a buildable minifigure #3723 that has the same box style.  Truly inspiring.

(I think most of the Creator Expert line in 2000/2001 had this packaging.)
    BumblepantsiwybsKungFuKennygmonkey76FizyxMr_Cross
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,356
    pxchris said:
    ...probably over 8 feet of table space worth of display...
    You're going to need a bigger boat.
    KungFuKennyCymbelinepxchrisgratefulnatgmonkey76veyniacYellowcastle
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,685
    SumoLego said:
    pxchris said:
    ...probably over 8 feet of table space worth of display...
    You're going to need a bigger boat.
    Classic Pirate Titanic!
    560HeliportSumoLegogratefulnatpxchrisgmonkey76KungFuKenny
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 380
    So I attended a big Lego-only toy auction yesterday and managed to win the very rare Olli Dragon sculpture #3724 from 2001, including his instructions and oddly greyscale box.
    I read a post on Bricklink today about the resell value for the instructions from this set — coincidence? 😀
    KungFuKennyMr_Cross
    I got baptized last night. God is good! What does this have to do with LEGO, you ask? First, we have the Wailing Wall. Then,  this is apparently the Holy of Holies, God's own place in the temple. 
    flightrisk560HeliportveyniacSwitchfoot55KungFuKennypanchox1brickventures
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,043
    So I attended a big Lego-only toy auction yesterday and managed to win the very rare Olli Dragon sculpture #3724 from 2001, including his instructions and oddly greyscale box.
    I read a post on Bricklink today about the resell value for the instructions from this set — coincidence? 😀
    I’m not Stuart9 but it’s an interesting coincidence all the same looking at the thread on Bricklink. No one seems to be discussing on their thread that some of the bricks are relatively expensive or hard to come by in the quantities required by the set, even though they’re ‘common’ in the sense that they’re not specialised or printed.

I think many people are just intrigued by the format of the ‘Advanced Builder’ sculpture instructions from the early noughties. The majority is all built in layers in a 2D format top-down but that does make it confusing to tell the difference between plates and bricks. As far as I know these sets were also amongst the first to have a ‘part quota’ on the side of each step telling you all the exact bricks you needed. Which is commonplace now.
    pxchrisBrickfan50
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 998
    I missed this earlier. Agree completely! I appreciate the ability to create multiple lists. If I can share a specific list with my wife in a reusable way, that will save some hassle around birthday and Christmas. it would be nice to have priority or similar. 

I kind of chuckled when I saw the “add all items to cart” button for my old list of 54 sets… sure, let me spend $6500 with the click of a couple buttons!

And… it doesn’t seem to be iPad friendly. That’s annoying. I can’t add a set to multiple wishlists right now. Hmmm
    SirBrickalotOfLego