Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What's your LEGO 'status' today?

Comments

• Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 277
    You didn't meet Steen on the last day of the tour when the set was presented? I was on the first tour this year, and Steen was there because he designed the set. He did a quick presentation about sets he designed including the tour set. Then he stuck around for autographs and photos. I was able to get my tour set and my Tree of Creativity set autographed by him.
    Sadly during our tour he was on vacation, so we didn't get to meet him. Instead Stuart Harris did the set presentation - he came up with the concept and initial version after all. Still, wish I'd gotten Steen's signature on the box!
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 507
    Needed a bit of retail therapy in New York 

@TheOriginalSimonB
    Is that the Rockefeller Center store?   We had a great time there and I remember that the PAB wall had some particularly interesting parts when we visited... looks like you are having a great trip!
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,331
    Last two BL orders arrived today, built my MOC, just need to fire up Mrs Speedys cutting machine and design the stickers for the sides and its ready to roll!
    FizyxKungFuKennyAddicted2Oxygen
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,334
    @KungFuKenny yes. The wall had some really good stuff but we are pushing on weight already so I limited myself to a couple of magnets and built a few figs.
    KungFuKenny
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,228
    Ready for a day of Legoland Billund!

Lego_StarAddicted2Oxygenbandit778snowhitieFizyxdavetheoxygenmanLittleLoriTheOriginalSimonBpxchris
  • KerreKerre In a bar, under the sea.Member Posts: 410
    edited October 12
    Spotting imperial spiders on a sunny autumn Saturday in Miniland Billund with @stlux ;
    stluxbandit778FowlerBrickssnowhitieLego_StarFizyxcatwranglersid3windr
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 435
    edited October 12
    been messing around with my new Halloweenfigs and #6085 :

Learnings: pics are sometimes upside down in the forums, and I should use my Fujifilm and not my iPhone...
    KungFuKennyModeltrainmanBumblepantsLego_StarFizyxcatwrangler
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 651
    I have a "most certainly not Lego" status today.

For the first time I tried out a clone brand today (it was on sale and the model is of characters that I like) from Mattel. It was the most confusing excercise imaginable for a child's model kit. The bags are all required to be opened out of order (to the point where the numbered bags seem entirely superfluous), with teeny tiny little bits sitting out for the duration of the build, never to be touched until the lat few steps. Some of the steps have several sub assemblies within them, without any clear order as to which goes when or where. They're just all arranged in a circle around what the end assembly needs to resemble in the center. And more than once I was trying to cram little pegs inside little holes, with painful results from pressing against disproportionate friction (one remains unassembled, as the part is absolutely too large to enter the requisite hole). If I have to strain so much, there is just no way a child could assemble this.

The finished model is lovely enough, mind. It's clearly not a Lego design, as it's shaping is largely dependent on parts that I imagine were created just for this model (although, there were a shocking number of parts identical to existing Lego bricks), but it is a fun representation of the characters. The absurd amount of effort to get it built though rather ruins the whole experience. And I don't think it can be disassembled again for storage when I tire of looking at it. I see it gracing the local charity shop in the near future.

Anyhow, lesson learned. :p

FowlerBricksKungFuKennycatwranglerBaby_Yoda
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,638
    @klinton MCX?
    klinton
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,814
    @klinton That kind of thing makes me think that part of the premium we pay for with Lego is the amount of work that must go into instruction design - given how challenging even some Lego sets can be, I dread to think what it's like building something where the instructions are badly thought out. 
    klinton560HeliportLittleLori
    @klinton That kind of thing makes me think that part of the premium we pay for with Lego is the amount of work that must go into instruction design - given how challenging even some Lego sets can be, I dread to think what it's like building something where the instructions are badly thought out. 
    That, and just the precision with which Lego pieces all fit together. I'd never stopped to truly appreciate the 'System' for just how amazing it is until this experience. At one point I was checking and triple checking an assembly of plates because there was a bizarre 2mm gap. There was no reconciling of the error. It was inevitable.

catwrangler
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 478

I haven’t built much lately as finding the time can be difficult because of work and being a carer but even when there is time I often am too tired.  So it was nice last week to make the Flintstones set.  Had almost forgotten how relaxing it is to do!  Really enjoyed it.

I did recently to go through my sets on Brickset and realise there’s quite a few that I’ve never got round to building that don’t actually interest me anymore.   This was after having to wade through quite a few boxes to locate a set I’d agreed to trade on here and discovering a couple of sets I'd failed to add to my owned list plus also some duplicate Brickheadz where I'd failed to add them to my list the first time I bought them!

So to claim some space back in the spare room and to raise funds to put toward future sets it’s time for a mini clear out.  Expect a marketplace thread at some point.

KungFuKennysnowhitie
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 536
    I've been attempting to scale the Harry Potter Clock Tower up to fit the scale of the rest of my Hogwarts so far. At the same time wondering why I'm doing it because it's going to be too darn big to fit anywhere if I ever finish.
    JenniMaffyDsnowhitieAddicted2Oxygen
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,901
    Got #60233 Donut Shop Opening for 2x points. Soon the donut shop will be on top of Ninjago City!
    SumoLegoKungFuKennyFizyx
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,089
    (With a hung-over Iron Man in it?)
    Switchfoot55FowlerBricksBumblepantsKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,901
    SumoLego said:
    (With a hung-over Iron Man in it?)
    I feel like I traded all my iron men. Probably to you? I don't think I have any that are not in my kids stuff.
    A little battle-damage only adds to the realism.  But good luck tracking down an Avengers-era Nick Fury and Black Widow...

BumblepantsFizyxFowlerBricksBaby_Yoda
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,960
    Mucking around with some minifigures and a camera.

@Speedman29, loved this shot.
    Most inventive use of a cheese grater, top marks. Out of interest (from someone who can use all the help he can get) how did you light it like that?
    LittleLori
    bandit778 said:
    @Speedman29, loved this shot.
    Most inventive use of a cheese grater, top marks. Out of interest (from someone who can use all the help he can get) how did you light it like that?
    Cheers! the grater was sat on a white bowl so light reflected underneath. I had a small torch illuminating the minifigure and then another shining from above through some coloured sweet wrappers to give the blue and greeny tint. Took a few attempts so I didn't get any glare or bright spots on the figure.
    bandit778catwrangler
    Speedman29 said:
    ...coloured sweet wrappers...
    Plopp?
    Bumblepants
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 479
    klinton said:
    That, and just the precision with which Lego pieces all fit together. I'd never stopped to truly appreciate the 'System' for just how amazing it is until this experience. At one point I was checking and triple checking an assembly of plates because there was a bizarre 2mm gap. There was no reconciling of the error. It was inevitable.

Math refusing to work out or why was it inevitable?

Math refusing to work out or why was it inevitable?
    The design was such that it was impossible to fill the gap. That was just how the pieces used 'fit' together. It was a design flaw. 
    SumoLego said:
    Speedman29 said:
    ...coloured sweet wrappers...
    Plopp?
    Quality Street! Toffee penny and coconut wrappers. No Plopp involved
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,619
    ^That is awesome! One of my kids favorite YouTube channels is EllieV Toys. She recently did a series titled, "Too Much ________" where she used a single color palette to build a small apartment. Unlike yours that is all a single red, she uses several shades of any given color to complete the scene. My kids (and admittedly myself) really enjoyed watching her work through the challenge. 

There was also a display at BrickCon in Seattle a couple of weeks ago that did a series of  mini-space stations out of single translucent colors. It was pretty awesome. 
    KungFuKennyFizyxcatwrangler
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,493
    ^ Gardening is creating Eden / paradise in your own space. :)
    Proven to give relief to modern stressful lives.  Even better when building some lego in your paradise.
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 501
    SumoLego said:
    KungFuKenny said:
    Unfortunately my spouse’s primary reaction was along the lines of “your minifigure looks like he is gardening in Hell“...
    All gardening is Hell.
    Venunder said:
    ^ Gardening is creating Eden / paradise in your own space. :)
    Proven to give relief to modern stressful lives.  Even better when building some lego in your paradise.
    No. Its hell.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76MaffyD
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 299
    My parts came, so I've been improving Casey Jr. He looks pretty great, now! Pictures soon, hopefully!
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 435

I’ve been having fun contributing over on the “collecting certain parts only” thread (which for me has meant collecting “all colors of a certain part”)... so I thought I’d try to do the opposite and create a small vignette where all the parts are of certain color...

Unfortunately my spouse’s primary reaction was along the lines of “your minifigure looks like he is gardening in Hell“...

Cool! At first glance it looks like you dropped a bucket of paint on a model... ;)
    KungFuKenny
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 299
    Been sorting today. I see why LEGO made that 'Forever Sorting' horror movie poster in #10232. I got the parts for Casey Jr.'s smokestack, need to get pictures of him, now...
    LittleLoriMCNwakeboardcatwrangler

madejp86
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,871
    Looks great @awahl211!
    awahl211
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,144
    @awahl211, lovely! What is that light brown building two houses down from the pet shop? It looks wonderful. 
    awahl211
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 507
    edited October 21
    Renny said:
    @awahl211, lovely! What is that light brown building two houses down from the pet shop? It looks wonderful. 
    @Renny
    Looks like Assembly Square #10255