Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What's your LEGO 'status' today?

Comments

• rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Bought Benny's spaceship today, can't wait to build it! :o)
    JenniCapnRex101mssloan1962
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    Rebuilding trains after an epic crash ..... I just sat down for a minute to reward myself after working my butt off for several days preparing for a Christmas Party. My reward, watching the trains run around the Modulars, Wiinter Village, plus Minas Tirith turned into snow mountain (not very successful, but it is too big/unstable to move.) Well, I wasn't paying enough attention or too tired, but two trains ended up in pieces on the floor. Good thing they are LEGO and can be rebuilt.

Guests reaction to layout - "You sure have a lot of Legos (they have grandchildren so I can hear the calculators adding in their heads)" and "What is THAT? - referring to aforementioned snow mountain. When I explained that it was originally Minas Tirith from Lord of the Rings, they became very quiet...
    Andor
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,522
    ^ If they are not fans of Lord of the Rings, they probably did not understand your reference to Minas Tirith. :) :) :)
    ^the sound of crickets is often my soundtrack.
    JennirancorbaitAndorcarlq
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited December 2014
    ^^^, ^^,
    klatu003 said:

the sound of crickets is often my soundtrack.

No, no, they were just clearly in a state of shock, knowing as we all do, that the white city shall never fall while trains defend it. :o)
    CupIsHalfEmptyrancorbaitBumblepantsJenniBuriedinBricksklatu003carlqAndor
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,553
    Today was my work's annual "Christmas Cheer" event where they lay on a spread of nibbles and drinks and we also got given our Christmas presents from the company - a handmade bar of chocolate with a festive decoration from a local chocolaterie and a £25 Amazon gift card!
    Guess maybe I can splash out on one of the big DC sets as soon as they are released after all!
    Shibcarlq
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,522
    Our boss is so stingy we had to provide our own day of Christmas Cheer!
    What we call a Fuddle.
    Any kind of gift card is just a wishful thinking daydream to us.
    But I have a Lego Movie Creative Ambush reserved at a shop, so I'll be happy when I collect it. :)
    @legomatt said
    No, no, they were just clearly in a state of shock, knowing as we all do, that the white city shall never fall while trains defend it. :o)
    Good thing I had put my cup of coffee down before I read that! On reflection, I'll bet orcs caused the train wreck.
    Andor
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,651
    edited December 2014
    A day of wrapping Christmas presents... only to discover the near-exhausted roll of sticky tape I have been using was the LAST one in the house! :oS

Running out of tape at half-past-three was not part of the plan. I can almost hear the wise words of a Native American Spirit-guide counselling me on this recent folly... he says "try the '62, it's a good one".

That's my kind of spirit guide.
    carlqLego_Star
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    ^ :-)) - I don't have a spirit guide, but until she retired, I did have a spirit Brown Owl! ;-)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,620
    All free lego from Brick2014 is now sorted. And counted. 9474 pieces, in case you're wondering...

It's only taken 3 weeks to disassemble, sort, clean, dry and put into my collection. Can I have my life back now?
    Lego_Star
    @carlq Well, I may only have been fancifully channelling some johnny-depp-as-tonto alter ego bit of nonsense, but nevertheless I sat back and enjoyed a drink as said 'guide' suggested...

...within half an hour reinforcements had arrived bearing two more rolls of sticky-tape.

Now That's Style.

Cheers, Tonto!
    carlq
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    Went to see Battle of the Five Armies: Having read the book and knowing how it ends I was still surprised, I know some creative liberties were taken by Jackson that some are not happy with but I thought it was a great ending to the trilogy. The Lego sets for this movie do not do it Justice.
    Andor
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 756
    Excited about the sets my CFOL will open on Xmas morning. Modular TH and Monster Fighters HH wrapped. Oh, and a few other Lego goodies in his haul
    MorkMan
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    @jediami65 It's been so long since I read the book, I can't even recall exactly how it all panned out. After the first movie though, I gave up on any insistence that the movies remain "true to the book."

I will still be waiting for the home release of this one though. Desolation of Smaug was the first time I've actually been bored during a movie based on Tolkien's work
  • GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    On my search for the last box of Christmas decorations, I finally found my minifig collection that I haven't seen in a year! Yay!
    LegoboyLostInTranslationcarlqAndorJenniSirBenAdeelZubair
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    Happy Festivus! I think there is a Lego set sitting next to my aluminum pole :)
    carlqGurooo
    edited December 2014
    'Yellow Light Of Death' on PS3 last thing last night without any prior warning. (safe mode not activating).

Well. That could not have been timed any worse with it being the dvd & blu-ray player too... It means there'll be NO Muppet's Christmas Carol this year!!! (not to mention all the pressies it would've played... aww).

...*(there would be a smiley face here, but the forum wants to drop a little picture in, which keeps throwing me off the webpage... tssk, bl**dy technology. ;oD
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 314
    Feeling bad/panicky as my 8 year old has asked for 2 lego movie sets from Father Christmas as his top of list of gifts and I've not got any of them, not sure how long he will believe if these don't turn up Christmas morning :(
    ^I guess the logical question would be why?
    Glorious Festivus!!! A package arrived from across the "pond" today. I wonder what it could be? I was instructed not to open it.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,304
    legonut80 said:

Feeling bad/panicky as my 8 year old has asked for 2 lego movie sets from Father Christmas as his top of list of gifts and I've not got any of them, not sure how long he will believe if these don't turn up Christmas morning :(

This is why I plan to follow my parents' example if I have kids. Father Christmas only brings the generic little pressents. The real pressents are from mum and dad. A lot easier for a child to understand that their parents couldnt get something in time rather than question why a magical being was unable to.

My lego status for the past couple of days has been questioning whether i want to buy a Toy Story Train and Monster Fighters Ghost Train sets nisb for rrp...
    BuriedinBricks
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @legonut80 I told my 10-year-old that I'm in contact with Santa and had forbidden any game systems. She seemed to accept that idea but is secretly hoping he disobeys me :). I think they have a lot invested in believing and will clutch at explanations.

legonut80
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,285
    ^^ My parents did the same thing. Presents in my 'Santa sack' that goes beside my bed were always from Father Christmas and the rest were from family members.

@legonut80‌ - Another of my parents' tactics was to tell me that Santa has to buy some gifts like anyone else, hence you see him in shopping centres at Christmas as the moment he is done meeting children he rushed off to buy presents for everyone. I am not sure if I ever believed that, but I remember it :)

Of course all this talk is just theoretical though, concerned with what excuses might be used if Santa wasn't real. Luckily we don't ever have to use them!
    Jennilegonut80carlq
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 314
    I bought him 3 minecraft sets as he's minecraft mad and they're on the list just quite a bit down the list, after the Lego Movie sets and game console (that we would've got as a family gift if I'd seen the right deal). I've bought more smaller sets and things that he wanted so should be fine.

It's hard to tell them about father Christmas and what happens when each book, film or friends at school have different things to say about it. I tell them that he brings gifts to those that are good and believe in him. A friend of mine tells her children that he brings one main present and the rest they buy. I'm trying to teach them that it's nice to give gifts to other people this year.

I suppose I should be more concerned about my daughter (6) who didn't get a barbie last year so said he wasn't real.

@CapnRex101‌ I like that :) I do think there's too many shopping centres and places where you can go meet Santa, he really must be tired by January.
    I was absolutely shocked by this story yesterday http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30586908

So this morning my CFOL and I made a delivery to the hospital. Hopefully this will put a smile on a few faces in the morning.

LegoboyBumblepantscarlqLostInTranslationMorkManSombuxMrs_Wobblehead
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,759
    edited December 2014
    They need a visit from Brick Fairy, sharpish.

Good effort.
    8.10am Christmas Day morning. How in God's name are the neighbours kids in my house?
    CapnRex101carlqLostInTranslationAdeelZubairchuckpcobblers
    edited December 2014
    First of all, Merry Christmas my fellow Bricksetters!

Look What Santa Got Me...

...Not really. I got the Benny's Spaceship for my self, the rest is what I asked Santa to get me :D

Look What Santa Got Me...

A Christmas Tree...

...These are the boxes of sets I already own (Not Christmas Presents)

A Christmas Tree...
    CapnRex101carlqGothamConstructionCoNatebwrancorbaitLegoboyLegolovermanBuriedinBricks
    Merry Christmas to me!
    carlqLostInTranslationrancorbaitGothamConstructionCoBumblepants
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,553
    Me and my three year old niece having no interest in Dr Who, we decided to build one of her new Lego Friends sets (#41032). Very cute set, she loves the cheeky monkey (being one herself!).
    Jennicarlqlegonut80chuckpGothamConstructionCo
  • JdslaterJdslater Member Posts: 59
    Pretty good. Got the exo suit and B wing for Christmas. Got £80 in Westfield vouchers and will get a few troop carriers and the advanced TIE fighter.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,328
    Ready... Set... Sort!

(What have I gotten myself into?)... UCS AT-AT day 1.
    rancorbaitPitfall69chuckpLostInTranslationGothamConstructionCocarlq
    I just checked Shop.LEGO.com and they have listed most of the January 2015 sets. I would like to point out that is LEGO becoming generous next year? Here are some shocking prices:

#70818 Double-Decker Couch - £14.99 (I expected £24.99)
    #31035 Beach Hut - £19.99 (I expected £24.99)
    #31036 Toy & Grocery Shop - £34.99 (I expected £49.99)

And the list goes on...
  • SombuxSombux Member Posts: 7
    Coming out of the "dark ages", finally found some free time during Christmas to sort some of my old Lego from the 90's. I only really started to "care" about my bricks in like 97 or 98, so my older sets were mostly a dirty mess by now. But everything was thrown together into boxes with hardly any bigger assembled modules left, meaning it's quite a job to sort it, I made lists with pieces needed for each of the sets I'm hoping to retrieve and hunted some of the parts for them, as well as evaluating all the other parts if they'd be of any use. I noticed that my pre-97 or so parts are all scratched and dirty while the post-97 ones are shiny (albeit dusty, but that's gonna be my next mission), not sure if Lego started using different standards and plastics during those years, but at least it was easier for me to tell between the parts :P From the older parts I only kept the unusual and rarer shapes (which weren't damaged or really messy), the rest is going back to the basement.

Oh well, 2 more large boxes left.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,301
    So pleased my wife got me The Lego Neighborhood Book. First time I have ever gotten anything Lego from her so it is pretty special. Beyond that I have been busy building Princess and Chima Lego with my kids.
    LostInTranslationcarlqBuriedinBricks
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Not a single Lego themed present for me. Although the household has mindstorms (Which is truly amazing and great value at the seemingly standard price of £210), a death star, an AT-AT and IJ temple escape. So plenty of Lego to help with!
    @Bumblepants‌ It really is a nice book packed with some good tips. I was very happy to receive a copy as well.

It's a littler smaller than I expected, but that's actually a good thing in some respects. I have several of the DK books and they take up such a huge amount of shelf space (I love them, but shelf space is limited).
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,111
    organizing, organizing, organizing.

Opening all my Hobbit sets to remove the minifigures and hopefully selling the parts so I have funds for an extra DO and the new Pirate line coming due soon.
    UCS AT-AT day 2... Still sorting with no end in sight.

Maybe I shouldn't have poured all the pieces out onto the table at the same time...
    LegoboyBumblepantsrancorbait
    ^ One crazy mofo.
    samiam391
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    ^^Dayum. Got enough bricks?

^^Dayum. Got enough bricks?

@plasmodium‌ - The answer to that question is always... no.
    carlq
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 513
    samiam391 said:

Maybe I shouldn't have poured all the pieces out onto the table at the same time...

i never sorted the parts manually, when you know how the bags are presorted and get behind that and then repack them into boxes for better access you can get good progress, too
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    samiam391 said:

So much fun :)
    ^Starting to look a like lot Xmas
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 865
    edited December 2014
    Was at the LEGO store yesterday with my boys - they love to 'window shop' [like dad] and I was chatting with one of the employees. A young lady came up to him and asked how much the #21050 Architecture Studio cost. After he told her, she said "that's too much" and walked away. I mentioned to the employee that if I had $150 to blow on LEGO today it would be one of my top purchases. She turned and said "really?" and she and I proceeded to have an animated discussion about the merits of #21050 vs. #10234 Sydney Opera House. In the end, she agreed that her 16 year old cousin would have more fun with the 'box of white bricks' (as she put it). Long story short, she didn't have/want to get a VIP card but asked me if I had one and the employee swiped it saying "you sold her on it, you should get the points!" 150 VIP points for being chatty! Happy Day for me!
    carlqJdslater
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    Building and helping the Young-lings build some Lego sets we purchased today. My oldest (8) purchased her first Architecture set #21019 she enjoyed the build and wants to get more sets.
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    After being sick with strep throat AND the flu for the past week, finally had Christmas with the wife and her family. She bought me Home One: Mon Calamari Star Cruiser-so nice of her, can't wait to put it together. Also, when I went to Gamestop today to get a gift for the nephew, I asked for and received a Plastic Man figure! Good day all around.
    chuckp