Posting off topic?

bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
edited December 2011 in Forum Operation
Is it allowed?

Comments

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I hope so, I just did it on another thread! :)
  • bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
    lol. I meant not about Lego
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    edited December 2011
    Of course not. But I frequently do it unwittingly, and occasionally on purpose (star wars snowflakes) - I know this isn't facebook, but I wanted to make my Lego friends smile
    I LOVE the snowflakes. Templates sitting in my printer for tomorrow with the children! thanks, btw
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited December 2011
    Not allowed. Which is why the other category is called "Everything else LEGO" and not "Everything else." I think it might be overlooked if it's innocent and minor. *cough* @Savage_Steel *cough* :p But who am I to say?
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    edited December 2011
    Maybe a MOD could answer better, but it seems to be allowed as long as it doesn't get too out of control (like on another recent thread) and that people contributing to the thread want to continue it.

^EDIT Ok, maybe its just not enforced, as many threads I have read veer majorly off topic and off Lego.
    ok, thanks. wasn't important and i would like to hang around instead of being the newbie that got the boot
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Ha, you won't get the boot for making an honest mistake if you're acting in good faith. Mods here use common sense and are more interested in making this forum a great place to hang out instead of having pissing contests over rules. Yay mods!
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited December 2011
    Creating non-LEGO related topics is not encouraged, this is a LEGO forum after all. Neither do we immediately bin anything that breaks the above rule, but the only reason we can let the odd one slip through is because we get so little of it, so I'm sure you can appreciate that the guideline has to remain in place.

Posting off-topic in discussions is a different thing and does tend to happen a fair bit although again it is generally not encouraged. We do try to take a sensible approach so we let a fair bit of it slide, i can think of a fair few examples where the discussion has gone significantly off topic but ended up all the more interesting for it. Now that we have split/merge functionality you will probably start to see this happening more and more when a discussion takes an interesting left turn.

EDIT: and brickmatic is 100% correct, nobody will get the boot for making the odd mistake here and there, we wouldn't have any admins/mods left if that were that the case ;-)
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    I have a terrible habit of going off topic but I usually acknowledge before or after that I have done so and that appears to keep me out of trouble just seems to me to be the correct way of doing things.
    I was partially kidding when I said I would get the boot, but I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses. it is good to know the "rules" and tolerances.

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    A little meander seems to be fine, its part of normal conversation, hard to get to know people if you only every talk about lego. Im glad we dont get "Man U rule" threads on here though, like some places.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    A little meander seems to be fine, its part of normal conversation, hard to get to know people if you only every talk about lego. Im glad we dont get "Man U rule" threads on here though, like some places.
    As one of the frequent meanderers, I agree :)
    Could go waaay off topic with the latter comment, but I'll resist...
    ^smile
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    This topic was actually a sting so everyone that's posted in it is now banned. -Just Kidding :o)

Outside of @Savage_Steel and @Huw, this rarely happens so we usually just turn a blind eye. :o)
    ^cute...thanks for the smile!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    ^^ Ha ha ha
    Now you've made me bump it back up @yellowcastle! :-P

So, did I tell you all what I had for dinner tonight? And the film I saw yesterday it was ace... ;-)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Do they show real movies and tv shows outside of the U.S.? ;o)
  • nodnarb162nodnarb162 Member Posts: 58
    edited December 2011
    ^ Now your making the off topic, topic....off topic...? Topic inception :O!

Sorry for going off topic...I couldn't resist...