Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

2016 Monthly building contest - November - Flight

TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,243
OK Bricksetters, here's your November building contest and the subject is flight.

Lego loves helicopters, planes, dragons, birds, balloons and so on, meaning there is plenty of inspiration out there to get you started but I want to see what you lot can come up with.  Dragon-chopper hybrids, Disney planes, convert-a-cars - the sky really is the limit this month.  Models, mosaics, pictures, mini-figures suspended from the ceiling on bits of string, it really is up to you so long as flight is involved.

Oh, and as there are other definitions of "flight" they count as well for the really creative amongst you.

Here's a couple I knocked up to get you in the mood - Disco wing (and a flight of stairs!) and the coffin copter:

The prize this month keeps with the theme and comprises #30184 Creator small helicopter and #41559 Paladum, the flying horse Mixel.

Entries close at your midnight on November 30th and I'll announce the winner as soon as I get a chance in December.

Good luck and happy building.
snowhitiekhmellymelSalamalexBricklover18Wicksy80stluxPeteMcatwranglerLEGO_Dad77BumblepantsGothamConstructionCoSirBenrdflegokiki180703TheLegoMaster35

Comments

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,780
    Cool, fun you've added some examples! Will have a think.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Will be headed home this weekend, hopefully I can build something while I am there. 
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,243
    One week gone bump.
    Nice - part narwhal.
    rdflegoSprinkleOttercatwranglerkiki180703
    Two-weeks gone bump...
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,710

So this is my go at building a dropship from the game Destiny. I really like the unusual design of the monstrous engines so I picked this one to try and copy. 
    Nice model! I always have a hard time converting pictures into bricks.
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 273
    Current mantra - I will get my build built and photographed by the deadline, I will get my... You get the picture.
    snowhitieLegogramTheOriginalSimonBkiki180703
    I just need some tiles and should be able to get something on here soon!
    TheOriginalSimonB
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I'm still fiddling, trying to make my entry look right but I should have it finished by Monday.
    TheOriginalSimonB
    8 days still so no need to panic yet...
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 340
    ^When people start telling me not to panic, I know that it is about time to start panicking. 
    I plan to start my entry tomorrow...
    SprinkleOtterTheOriginalSimonBLEGO_Dad77stluxsnowhitiekiki180703
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    @snowhitie The programmer sounds like a minifig after my own heart! :D I love how many forms of flight you managed to get in here! Flights of imagination...
    snowhitieSprinkleOtterkiki180703
    @catwrangler thanks :) and don't forget, in most tales vampires can fly too ;)
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,710
    snowhitie said:
    @catwrangler thanks :) and don't forget, in most tales vampires can fly too ;)
    Or, in some, just sparkle...

Sorry.
    catwranglerLEGO_Dad77pasat14kiki180703
    ^ Very pretty, love the colours you used. Think we used the same baseplate ;)
    Salamalex
    ^^ I love all of the foliage and the use of the leaves to make the staircase. My entry will show that I, too, am not much for attempting vehicles. 
    Salamalex
    I like the sky behind the buildings @BillyBricks84

Last few days for anyone else to make judging this harder than it is already going to be.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
    @TheOriginalSimonB - I had that very thought last night when I saw @BillyBricks84 entry. 
    @Salamalex The sky was actually something I didn't even consider adding until after I had built the city. I figured there needed to be something behind the buildings since I don't own a "sand blue" sheet to hang behind the scene. 

@TheOriginalSimonB The current variety of the entries will definitely make this a tough one to judge. Of course, if it was easy to choose, that wouldn't be much fun. I'm just glad I'm not in charge of the contest. And there are still two days... 
    catwranglerkiki180703
    Last day to get those entries in...
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    rdflego said:
    I've taken a more literal approach to the contest with my rocket-car-plane.
    Nice! Looks like one of those world speed record cars, like Thrust SSC.
    rdflego
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    Barely got this in. haven't thought of a name for it yet, but it's like some sort of black bug ruler. Decided to use the old batman wings. Very excited as this is my first contest entered on Brickset or Bricksetforum!
    BillyBricks84ricecakekhmellymelLEGO_Dad77BumblepantsTheOriginalSimonBstluxcatwrangler
    btw, the claw looking things near his eyes are mandibles. 
    LegogramSalamalexbandit778
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,233
    mothman?
    ^^Congrats on your first post and first contest entry! It looks like you built this so that you can do a variety of poses with it. I like the blue against the black for the eyes. 
    OK, I'm off to make a decision! 
    Salamalexsnowhitiecatwrangler
    Good Luck with your deliberations, I think you need a score card with a range of criteria but I couldn't, for the life of me, work out what they should be! ;)
    ^^Congrats on your first post and first contest entry! It looks like you built this so that you can do a variety of poses with it. I like the blue against the black for the eyes. 
    Thanks!
    OK folks, I've ruminated and cogitated and have decided to expand the prize fund somewhat...

Honourable mentions (and Christmas cards if you want them) go to @TheLegoMaster35 - excellent start to your forum life, @Shib for pointyness, @rdflego for extreme thrust  and @bandit778 for remaking one set.

Mystery Runner-up packages will be going to @Bumblepants - that's a really good recreation of the source, @snowhitie for the many versions of Flight and @BillyBricks84 for living in the clouds.

Which means the winner this month is @Salamalex - you may well have finally converted me to Elves sets, fantastic use of colours and a totally unexpected flashback to the Magi Faraway Tree stories I used to love as a wee nipper.

Congratulations all and thanks for taking part.

If Everyone would like to PM their address details (and name to use for postal purposes) I'll get stuff on the way...

Over to @William_Townsley for your Christmas competition needs...

snowhitieBumblepantsWicksy80William_TownsleyGothamConstructionCoLegogramricecakestluxcatwrangler
    Congrats Salamalex! 

P.S. 
    how do I PM my info to you TheOriginalSimonB?
    Congrats to @Salamalex

@TheLegoMaster35 If you scroll to the top of the page, you will see your name and a little envelope underneath it on the right side. Click that, create a new message, and begin typing in his name so it fills in. 
    Waw, cool, thanks @theoriginalsimonb. @Salamalex did a great job, I agree, the tree is beautiful and the colour scheme is amazing. Also loved @BillyBricks84 in the sky.

It's very nice of you to expand the prize-pot and since I love a good surprise (except if it's Marmite, don't mind golden syrup though) I'll send you my details.

PS I missed another definition of 'flight' - that's also applicable to @salamex : a flight of stairs ;)
    BillyBricks84stluxkiki180703
    snowhitie said:

PS I missed another definition of 'flight' - that's also applicable to @salamex : a flight of stairs ;)
    Never would have thought of this. I'm sure @TheOriginalSimonB had his dictionary out while judging and used that to help look for the different versions of flight people put in. "Hmmm.... @Salamalex features spacemen chasing elves. He seems to be engaging in flights of fancy. Another point for him."
    edited December 2016
    Oh wow, that's ace. Thanks @TheOriginalSimonB and what do you have against marmite @snowhitie?

Thanks a bunch BillyBricks84!