Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

2016 Brickset Secret Santa

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084
    edited November 2016
    snowhitie said:
    For anyone who is doing this for the first time, I had a good question that might be useful for others. 

If you want to add mystery so that the Santee can't find out who his Santa is (unless you prefer revealing yourself) but you do want to have the safety of a return address on your parcel, you can put one of your friends's /parents/work address on there. Or, in the UK feel free to contact me and you can use my mother-in-law's address that we use for trading, so she is used to get Lego ;)
    Yeah, right! You're just hoping somebodies SS gift gets returned so you get 2! :-o
    starwars4eversnowhitieSprinkleOtterLegogramRenegade007cjhkezkiki180703
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Inspiration struck yesterday, and plans have been set in motion...
    kezkiki180703
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 450
    ^ Could the SS who did this PM me so I know where I can get it done please? 
    stluxSprinkleOtterkiki180703Legoboygmonkey76
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,242
    That's amazing.
    Legoboykiki180703
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,224
    That is SO awesome, well done S.S.!
    LegoboySprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    Muftak1 said:
    Just in case that SS doesn't want to reveal them self (it wasn't me) I believe I've seen those (or similar) done by minifigsforlife 
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    The gift for my SS recipient is coming along nicely, however there's something that's niggling on my mind. When writing the tags on the gifts, do I use my recipient's real name (from their postal address) or their Brickset username? Or even both? What does everybody else do?

It's always the little minor things like that that get me doubting and not the big questions of "will my recipient like my gift" or "have I got the recipient enough" strangely :o)
    snowhitiekiki180703
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,181
    Shib said:
    Muftak1 said:
    Just in case that SS doesn't want to reveal them self (it wasn't me) I believe I've seen those (or similar) done by minifigsforlife 
    A chap called bricksanity.com also does similar. Such a cool idea.

@MaffyD we do SS at work, luckily despite not being in the office much the person I got I know pretty well. I'm alos doing one with a mate at work called "not secret santa, just buy each other LEGO" Where we buy each other a surprise set with a £25 budget.

@TheOneVeyronian I think I might go with a mixture of real and forum name. I'm also nervous about getting it right for my recipient. I hoping that people will just like the effort everyone has gone to.
    snowhitieMaffyDkezbandit778
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,426

I would second the use of the forum name on the tag/card/present. It will give them a smile as they realise where the unexpected package came from, and will inspire conversations as visitors come around pre-Christmas and have a nosey at the presents under the tree.

At least, that's what happens round our way with any unusually tagged items!

Maybe not the outer package though. Would get confusing in any house which might have lots of people eager to open any packages!

I also inwardly tutted at @Legoboy when he opened that present. He is quite naughty. I'll let him off though, I've seen photos of his feet. That sounds odd out of context. Which is fine by me.

stluxTheOriginalSimonBkezkiki180703snowhitieLegogrambandit778Renegade007cjh

Also, third delivery has arrived! It's all coming together...

Of course, if it doesn't all arrive, then what I have is practically useless, but let's not think about that!

Legogramkiki180703
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 423
    I have already received my SS prezzie, very exciting. The detective in me is crossing off people who have admitted to not sending their parcels yet (please see above). You won't get any such clues from me......
    stluxkiki180703snowhitie
    ^ I was lying. Or I could be lying now. Either way, you can't trust me on issues like this. Good luck! :-)
    stluxsnowhitiekiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,708
    Since everyone seems to be getting their things together, may I take this time to remind everyone to carefully conceal their package? Loved ones, for all their good qualities, aren't likely to catch the "to Brickset secret santa" on the shipping label before opening the package, and seeing the contents. From there, it's just one "you got a Super Hero set in the mail" away from the surprise being ruined.
    MaffyDkiki180703
    The gift for my SS recipient is coming along nicely, however there's something that's niggling on my mind. When writing the tags on the gifts, do I use my recipient's real name (from their postal address) or their Brickset username? Or even both? What does everybody else do?

It's always the little minor things like that that get me doubting and not the big questions of "will my recipient like my gift" or "have I got the recipient enough" strangely :o)
    I think both of my previous SS's were addressed to me with the main label in the format 'Firstname "Plasmodium" Lastname'.
    HugeYellowBrickkiki180703
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    My SS gift is 1/2 complete, I'm just... rearranging stuff to build the other half. 
    kezkiki180703
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,030
    I've already received the gift my from SS :-o
    bandit778kezkiki180703snowhitieRenegade007cjhTheOriginalSimonB
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    Had to go onto plan 'B' 

Items are all now winding there way to me.
    Looking forward to wrapping and posting off at last.
    snowhitiekiki180703
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 472
    Just sent out my gift today. Hope they like like!
    SprinkleOttersnowhitiekiki180703
  • thebeermonkeythebeermonkey GlasgowMember Posts: 390
    edited November 2016
    My Secret Santa now bought, wrapped and ready to be posted.

Yay! It's beginning to feel a lot like late November!
    bandit778kiki180703SprinkleOtterAllBrick
    Had a stupid moment yesterday when a parcel arrived that had the distinct LEGOy sound and I couldn't figure out what it was. Thought it might have been from my SS but no indication to not open it so opened up the package...

turned out out to be the LEGO Dimensions stuff I'd ordered from Amazon.de the day before. Hadn't forgotten I'd ordered it but wasn't expecting such a quick delivery!
    snowhitiekiki180703SprinkleOtterbandit778
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 817
    I've sorted out my SS's goods, just waiting for a few things to arrive before I package and post. :-D
    snowhitiekiki180703
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,242
    ^Might have an impact on your postage costs of course...
    Redbullgivesuwindkiki180703
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    edited November 2016
    I gave my mum's address for Secret Santa as I'll be there for Christmas. She has just informed me a parcel has arrived for me so I'm guessing that's what it is :-) 
    Probably a good thing I don't have it here to rattle and tempt me! 
    snowhitieTheOriginalSimonBkezstluxkiki180703bandit778SprinkleOtter
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 887
    Super jealous about the Secret Santa. I didn't participate this year because of the move to Switzerland. It's super expensive to send parcels from here (around £20-25). I wasn't expecting to be back in the UK until after Xmas (too late for Secret Santa) but now I'm back for a meeting next week so could have participated in the UK one! Oh well. Anyways, I Love reading the forum and excited to see all the gifts. Good luck guys. 

I'm doing secret Santa at work so may be I'll get some secret Lego - everyone knows I love it! Plus I making some Lego Xmas decorations for my Secret Santa (although they will guess it's from me!!!!!). I'll post pictures soon. 
    snowhitiekezstluxMaffyDbandit778

Probably a good thing I don't have it here to rattle and tempt me! 
    Yeah I know. Having received mine, the next few weeks will prove to be a test. I've got to look at it for a whole month. It'll be a while yet before we've even got the tree and deccies up in our house, and this thing is just going to taunt me all that time.
    snowhitiekezstluxbandit778SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,757
    Packed and shipped!
    snowhitiestluxkiki180703bandit778
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027
    The gifts have been shipped!
    snowhitie
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    So many clues in this thread that could ruin the secrecy.... :)
    William_Townsleysnowhitiekiki180703
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,779
    edited November 2016
    ^ Unless some of them are lying to confuse people ;)

But I agree, be careful what you say on here!
    stluxbandit778kiki180703
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    edited November 2016
    snowhitie said:
    ^ Unless some of them are lying to confuse people ;)
    And there was me thinking this was an upstanding community. 
    I'm shocked. ;)

On a lighter note have received all my orders for my recipient and will be getting them off in the post shortly. 
    stluxkiki180703Legoboy
    I sent mine out on the 6th of Smarch...hope it made it through that lousy Smarch weather! ;-)
    3stackshsMattDawsonkiki180703
    edited November 2016

I will send mine out three weeks ago, just need to finish building the temporal anomaly posting machine I've been working on. Built out of Lego, of course.

It already works on message board posts (I posted this to the forum on Christmas Eve) and will be easily converted to real post.

And now I've alerted myself in the past that this will work! Yay!

SprinkleOttersnowhitiestluxkiki180703
    I have no idea what I posted above. I think we may have multiple dimensions involved on this Secret Santa... Its the only explanation. :-)
    edited November 2016
    I can neither confirm nor deny if I have sent my gift out. Or even if I have planned it. Or actually know what I'm on about.
    MaffyDkiki180703
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    Secret Santa? What's that?
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 276
    Shib said:
    I sent mine out on the 6th of Smarch...hope it made it through that lousy Smarch weather! ;-)
    Do not touch Willie.
    Shibkiki180703
    iso3200 said:
    I can neither confirm nor deny if I have sent my gift out. Or even if I have planned it. Or actually know what I'm on about.
    I can neither confirm nor deny that  I have received confirmation that the various bits of my gift have now been dispatched, but if I could, it would be classified.

Oh yes, and I need to pick up a few bits from my parents when I'm there this weekend. 
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    I have sorted the other 'half' so will be procuring suitable transport methodology for the incumbent postal service to transfer said items to their destination. 
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 678
    Got a gift from my Secret Santa and I'm shipping my surprise gift out today.

Are we still talking about Lego here? I'm getting quite confused! :-)

Or am I? ;->

Yes, yes I am. But that's normal for me anyway.

• Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,500
    Grrr bloody post office made me declare full name and address for package then stuck the sticker straight on front of it. Not so Secret Santa anymore. I love the Irish postal service.........
    kiki180703
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    Ok - purchasing all done.  Just need to do some wrapping and then off to the Post Office!

Then follow @SirBen's idea and see what I can sneak into the house...
    stluxbandit778kiki180703SirBen
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    If I were a SS I would be looking for a box to pop my santees gift in and post it off today. I'm not though so, time and money saved.