Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Sealed LEGO?

I'm looking to make a LEGO submarine (yeah, nearly impossible, I know). I have a decent idea of how to power it, but I need a sealed (or nearly sealed) container to put some of the electronics in. I've tried some Bionicle containers, but I was hoping for something a little larger than that.

Comments

• MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 561
    I am curious on how you would prevent it from floating or completely sinking to the bottom?
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,709
    Couple plans in the works. The simplest one (which I am considering the most right now) would be to have a pulley system on the surface of the water (like a boat lowering a research sub into the water). If I can manage that, I would hope to be able to make some kind of ballast system or put vertical propellers to control the depth.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,320
    I guess it depends what you are encasing, you could encase the important electronics in resin if you don't need to change them. Or use a small waterproof torch or "project box" or similar and gut it and put your electronics in that.

Or jump brands and use the PlayMobil underwater motor set.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    No ideas, sorry, but I'm excited to hear how this project unfolds!
    SprinkleOtter
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2016
    CCC said:
    Or jump brands and use the PlayMobil underwater motor set.
    Sacrilege! ;-)
    starwars4everkiki180703MynattSprinkleOtter
    Or practicality. If lego doesn't do something (or is incredibly expensive when it does) then use something else that works instead.
    Hey, guys. The problem isn't with the motors. I have a decent plan for keeping all of the electronics sealed, but I just need a container to seal them in.

Do any of the old sports sets, or brick bucket sets containers' seal?
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Depends what you mean by seal - if you mean 'designed to be watertight', then I don't know, but I wonder about the balloon here, because it's a container, yet it has connectors on the outside...

http://brickset.com/sets/5956-1/Expedition-Balloon

oldtodd33
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 804
    Hmmm... Well, there's stuff like this, but I think the openings are pretty small:

And then there's stuff that's not really designed to SEAL per se, but could possibly be made to seal with the help of some LEGO rubber bands or something.  But they're typically pretty huge:

I dunno... tricky problem to solve!

DaveE
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Hey, guys. The problem isn't with the motors. I have a decent plan for keeping all of the electronics sealed, but I just need a container to seal them in.
    "Electronics" probably aren't official LEGO pieces, so rules about staying "pure" have already gone out of the window. The standard waterproofing technique there is to use two, or more, tied condoms inside each other with their original openings at opposite ends. If necessary, you can also use them, inflated, for buoyancy.
    Unless you're planning some seriously deep diving, you don't need to actually seal a container - just keep it reasonably upright but inverted. Air has to be able to get out for the water to get in. Just subject it to a bit of abuse to make sure it's not going to capsize before you add anything electrical. Taller, narrower containers are going to be more useful than shorter, wider ones because you can tilt them more.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 180
    TigerMoth said:
    The standard waterproofing technique there is to use two, or more, tied condoms inside each other with their original openings at opposite ends.
    Well, that must be the very first time the word ' comdom'  is used in a LEGO forum worldwide. 

SprinkleOttercatwranglerDeMonteskiki180703OrmskirkBricks

Well, that must be the very first time the word ' comdom'  is used in a LEGO forum worldwide.
    It's supposed to be different around here because blushing and sniggering teenagers aren't allowed to post.
    TigerMoth said:
    "Electronics" probably aren't official LEGO pieces, so rules about staying "pure" have already gone out of the window. The standard waterproofing technique there is to use two, or more, tied condoms inside each other with their original openings at opposite ends. If necessary, you can also use them, inflated, for buoyancy.
    Unless you're planning some seriously deep diving, you don't need to actually seal a container - just keep it reasonably upright but inverted. Air has to be able to get out for the water to get in. Just subject it to a bit of abuse to make sure it's not going to capsize before you add anything electrical. Taller, narrower containers are going to be more useful than shorter, wider ones because you can tilt them more.
    That's a quite good idea.

Does anyone here know of a tub that doesn't have holes on the bottom? Otherwise, I'll be inclined to use a RUB until I can find one.
    SprinkleOtter said:

Does anyone here know of a tub that doesn't have holes on the bottom? Otherwise, I'll be inclined to use a RUB until I can find one.
    How big do you want? Storage Heads don't have holes in the bottoms.
    TigerMoth said:
    SprinkleOtter said:

How big do you want? Storage Heads don't have holes in the bottoms.
    Bare bones? 12 studs wide and have flat walls. It can go up to pretty much any size.
    1 x 1 Storage Brick?

As a bonus, you get a top and a bottom to play with.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
    So is the container the actual submarine shell?
    CCC said:
    So is the container the actual submarine shell?
    Indeed it is.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    Dinosaurs Cannisters? From memory they sealed pretty well (and in WCS you could run some plumbers tape around the thread). I'll go for a dig in th dungeon later but from memory they're around 10-12 studs square.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703catwrangler
    Project update:
    This stuff is hard. I've made the majority of the submarine, now I just need it to sink to test it. The problem is, the density of ABS is only slightly greater then that of water. And air has almost no density to it, and it gets trapped into all LEGO parts.

I'm trying to think of what to use to weigh down my sub, but I need ~15 lbs, and I don't want to use that many batteries...
    I've decided on using (dead) boat motors strapped to the outside of the sub if necessary just for extra weight. That would give me about half the weight I need. Then maybe I just need to make blocks of plates and stick them in the main part of the sub for weight.
  • steinbriquesteinbrique germanyMember Posts: 26
    @SprinkleOtter ,
    have a look at this for extra weight , not really cheap on bricklink but could do the trick 
    Item No: 73090bpb01

SprinkleOtter
  • steinbriquesteinbrique germanyMember Posts: 26
    sorry just realised you need 15 lbs... my solution will be really costly ....
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 431
    no way to make some holders out of technic beams to get some metal blocks attached?
    SprinkleOtter
    Back to condoms - fill some with sand.
    SprinkleOtter
    @SprinkleOtter ,
    have a look at this for extra weight , not really cheap on bricklink but could do the trick 
    Item No: 73090bpb01

I have thought of that, and it does make sense on paper. But as your next post says, ouch...
    If I can find the two I have, I will throw them in there.
    no way to make some holders out of technic beams to get some metal blocks attached?
    I did think of that. I just really wanted it to be nearly all LEGO parts.
    TigerMoth said:
    -_-
    TigerMoth said:
    -_-
    I didn't tell you to put them on afterwards.
    SprinkleOttersid3windr
    New container acquired. New design built. Awaiting tomorrow to fill up the bathtub and test...
    catwrangler
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    Please show us pics of this contraption at some point. I am having difficulty imagining it and am really curious.
    SprinkleOtterstluxLegogramdatsunrobbieDoctorMcGanngmonkey76catwrangler