Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Castle Chess Model # 852293

BeverlyFBeverlyF NYMember Posts: 1
I am trying to locate an original box for this item - any suggestions out there? 

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,708
    Bricklink, Ebay...
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084
    edited October 2016
    The question isn't as un-informed as I first thought. Bricklink does not list the box as a separate entry like it does for most other sets. I wonder if that is because it is listed as "gear" rather then a "set". Here's is the link:

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?G=852293&name=Fantasy Era Castle Giant Chess Set&category=[Game][Castle][Fantasy Era]#T=S&O={}

TheBigLegoskikiki180703
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    edited October 2016
    There is only one case for sale on BL

Looks like $250 with shipping
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084
    edited October 2016
    Oops, I was wrong. There is a listing:

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?G=852293stor&idColor=0#T=S&O={}

Had it go to the bottom of the parts listing to find it.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,305
    It is messed up on BL. The only reason it is in the inventory is because the box itself is "gear" not a box. Most games don't have boxes listed anywhere. So people sell them as the set, but note box only. And since gear cannot be listed as complete/incomplete, it makes the price guide look strange (and skews average prices).
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 399
    edited October 2016
    The fact that this amazing 2300-piece chess set is listed as "gear" on BrickLink is simply ridiculous.  So may components of their catalog are a complete joke.  Guess that's what you get when you force unpaid volunteers to curate the catalog.

That part (deciding where it goes) is not down to volunteers, that is policy.

• ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 399
    So what was the policy to classify a 2300 piece chess set as "Gear"?  The fact that it came in a really big box?  The fact that it was a game?  Dumb.

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    Wow! That is one expensive Lego set. It always was an expensive set, but I had not idea it is being offered on BL now for that much money.

If you want a new one, the cheapest one currently is €910,44 (not including [insured] shipping).

But then again, it is the chess-set of chess-sets, the ultimate Lego chess-set ever!

I don't need to buy it though, as I have most of the minifigs from this set.

@BeverlyF ;          
    Thanks for starting this topic, the instructions are still in cache fortunately, as I could no longer find them on lego.com.
    Brickset is awesome!!!
    http://brickset.com/sets/852293-1/Castle-Giant-Chess-Set
    I really need to build this set some time this winter. I got pretty much all Lego elements except for the black dragon head, and the beige giant ogre/troll with the gold armour, and all those green banners (same colour as the troll minifigs themselves). Maybe I do not have enough black and white 2x2 tiles for the board either, but those I can just buy from the PAB section at [email protected] I do have enough giant trolls though, just not that particular one, and regarding the banners; another colour green will suffice.
    http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/852293.pdf
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    edited October 2016
    Just noticed that those building instructions are not complete! the pages are blank after p.107.
    ToddMyers said:
    So what was the policy to classify a 2300 piece chess set as "Gear"?  The fact that it came in a really big box?  The fact that it was a game?  Dumb.

All traditional games are gear. Whether they contain card parts and no lego whatsoever, or loads of parts. Whereas dimensions, they are sets. Stupid, I know. But consistently stupid.