Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which Star Wars UCS set should I buy?

Lego_Nerd98Lego_Nerd98 Fort Worth, Texas, USAMember Posts: 235
Next Friday, I'm heading over to Order 66 Toys. When they release the newest LEGO Star Wars sets, they're also gonna sell at least 1 copy of every single LEGO Star Wars set ever produced. So, I figured I'd take advantage of the opportunity and pick up a UCS set. Which one would be best? I'm considering multiple factors in this decision: price/value, aesthetic appeal, display simplicity, popularity, etc.

Comments

• dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 434
    I'd say MF if you have very deep pockets.
  • Lego_Nerd98Lego_Nerd98 Fort Worth, Texas, USAMember Posts: 235
    edited September 2016
    dspigel said:
    I'd say MF if you have very deep pockets.
    If it's sold for RRP then I've definitely got enough for that.
    SumoLego
    What about cloud city? Will that one be available?
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,612
    edited September 2016
    Not sure Order 66 will have the UCS MF at RRP. Just warning you in advance :-)
    edited September 2016
    @MaffyD I didn't think so :)

but they're also willing to negotiate...
    @dspigel Yeah they'll have that one. But it's not UCS...
    #10221 I think looks amazing. I hope I can get this guy one day.
    aw yes! But if I were to get a Star Destroyer, it would have to be the classic:

• starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 479
    I recommend getting the #10026 UCS Naboo Starfighter, if it's at retail (or a little more). It was only $40 and is the only Naboo N-1 to date to use accurate Chrome parts. Plus aftermarket prices for it are crazy!
    @starwars4ever Not a bad idea! Maybe if I don't spend everything I'll throw that in there.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,736
    dspigel said:
    #10221 I think looks amazing. I hope I can get this guy one day.
    That is an awesome set. Not too much above retail (used without figs). If you're open to a few substitutions, they are cheaper still.
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2016
    aw yes! But if I were to get a Star Destroyer, it would have to be the classic:

This is very iconic, but there are two flaws with it: it is a huge pile of gray, and the seam line is very visible and distracting.

Since this was released almost 8 years ago, I hope Lego will redesign and re-release it. :-)

This and the Rebel Blockade Runner.
    @nhyone yeah this one's kinda messed up, but it's still a beautiful set. The level of detail is incredible, considering this came out before the outbreak of new pieces that came around 2009-10.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    #10143 - Death Star II
    #10179 - Millennium Falcon
    #10221- Super Star Destroyer
    Lego_Nerd98RomanticWarrior
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,043
    What is your motivation: building, flipping, long term investment,...?
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 585
    I'd get the UCS Assault on Hoth ....................
    RomanticWarriorDontcopythatfloppy
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 696
    How about just buying your favourite?
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,387
    @Lego_Nerd98&nbsp
    I think only you know best which UCS set (if you can choose only one for the moment) you like best.
    I like the Slave I a lot, that is why I bought it. The design in Lego is really wonderful, plus it is actually full on minifig scale, which is always an extra big plus in my book. Though because of lack of display room I still have not build it.
    Another UCS set, that is no longer available from [email protected] is the X-Wing Fighter #10240 , I think that set looks fantastic. The X-Wing is a beautiful sci-fi craft, and that Lego version is too.
    Some people lament that the new Death Star, and the Sand Crawler should not have been labelled UCS, but those two sets I also really like.
    bandit778Lego_Nerd98
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,846
    The IS is my favourite UCS set - incredibly accurate to the source material, great wing opening mechanism, almost completely SNOTed, and minifig scale.
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    Another UCS set, that is no longer available from [email protected] is the X-Wing Fighter #10240 , I think that set looks fantastic. The X-Wing is a beautiful sci-fi craft, and that Lego version is too. 
    I couldn't have put it better myself :)

The other UCS set that I love (one that I'm not lucky enough to own) is the Imperial Shuttle #10212. I couldn't justify the £600 aftermarket price, so I got #75094 (which is very good but not UCS). After the X-wing, the Lambda-class Shuttle is definitely my favourite OT craft.
    TheBigLegoskikiki180703SprinkleOtterAdzbadboy
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,720
    I couldn't have put it better myself :)

The other UCS set that I love (one that I'm not lucky enough to own) is the Imperial Shuttle #10212. I couldn't justify the £600 aftermarket price, so I got #75094 (which is very good but not UCS). After the X-wing, the Lambda-class Shuttle is definitely my favourite OT craft.
    You need to have a word with @richo.
    @CCC My goal is building and displaying. This one's not for sale! :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,043
    In that case, ignore popularity. Go for what you like. What's your favourite scene / film.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    You can't go wrong with the Rancor pit, bro! 
    Lego_Nerd98
    @CCC I've always been a vehicle guy, so I love the scenes with awesome vehicles. Specifically, I love the Hoth battle scene, Battle of Endor, Battle over Coruscant, Battle of Geonosis, Battle of Naboo, Battle of Yavin...etc. etc.

My favorite film is (of course) Ep. V. I'd love to get an AT-AT, but I'm also interested in a Star Destroyer, the MF, or the Death Star.
    Looks like an awesome haul.
    Lego_Nerd98kiki180703
    Yeah the Tantive and AT-AT were straight off of a collector's display, so they're in pretty good condition.
    Not an amazing deal, but very nice sets.
    Lego_Nerd98kiki180703
    ^ I thought the Tantive was UCS? Or am I opening a massive can of worms again?
    Lego_Nerd98Dontcopythatfloppy
    None of the above are UCS.
    SumoLego
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    @MaffyD there is a UCS tantive V but its not that one.
    @MaffyD The UCS Tantive IV is extremely outdated.
    I used to keep track of the old UCS sets, but I had a moment or clarity a while back and decided I'll just do without. After a while I'm now forgetting some of it... actually quite pleased I didn't recognise it. Alternatively, senility could be setting in early... you never know.
    tallblocktookiki180703DontcopythatfloppyLego_Nerd98