Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Star Wars REBELS series/theme topic

Comments

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,593
    We shouldn't have to watch a 12 minute you tube video to explain a half hour tv show. They made a big deal with Maul being back, and then Obi-Wan return. What did Obi-wan have 5 minutes of screen time? A 5 second fight? I'll still say it was a waste of time. It's like waiting all year for an Xmas gift, shaking it to hear the familiar sound, and then opening it to find mega blocks.
    dspigelJackad7VBaskin2008
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,743
    gmonkey76 said:
    We shouldn't have to watch a 12 minute you tube video to explain a half hour tv show. They made a big deal with Maul being back, and then Obi-Wan return. What did Obi-wan have 5 minutes of screen time? A 5 second fight? I'll still say it was a waste of time. It's like waiting all year for an Xmas gift, shaking it to hear the familiar sound, and then opening it to find mega blocks.
    I guess to each his own. They were going for a deeper story with more meaning. I'm sure some don't appreciate that.
    ARo2891natro220gmonkey76VBaskin200877ncaachampssolid_strider
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,289
    edited March 2017
    I found the conclusion to be reasonably satisfying and the ease with which Obi-Wan dispatched Maul was certainly appropriate. Maul's frequent escapes have become quite ridiculous over the last few years so I am very glad that his story line has been brought to an end and the recognition that he and Obi-Wan are both victims of the Empire was pleasing.
    Coolguy5000SprinkleOtterJackad7VBaskin2008solid_striderLordmoralhleonffu
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I was glad not to have to watch a drawn out battle.  I thought the episode was both satisfying (Maul overstayed his welcome bigtime IMO) and sent shivers down my spine seeing young Luke going inside when Aunt Beru called.  As SprinkleOtter said, to each their own.  I am excited to see the finale, and where this series is headed.
    VBaskin2008
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    gmonkey76 said:
    We shouldn't have to watch a 12 minute you tube video to explain a half hour tv show.
    I guess to each his own. They were going for a deeper story with more meaning. I'm sure some don't appreciate that.
    Fairly standard for Star Wars too - always lots of canon back-story behind what appears on screen. It's what gives it such a massive cult following.
    SprinkleOtterJackad7jediami65VBaskin2008
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 532
    gmonkey76 said:
    We shouldn't have to watch a 12 minute you tube video to explain a half hour tv show.
    Fairly standard for Star Wars too - always lots of canon back-story behind what appears on screen. It's what gives it such a massive cult following.

I definitely agree with this, they do such a good job at putting things in new movies/tv shows that fit like puzzle pieces into the original trilogy. Examples being the empty chair in A New Hope (director Krennic) and the white bearded character who is in Return of the Jedi (Rex). Although I realize that neither of these are canon but I can't imagine that either of these are just coincidences.
    jediami65VBaskin2008
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 731
    Wait. Captain Rex is in Return of the Jedi?
    VBaskin2008
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,141
    (Um, sometimes an empty chair is just an empty chair.)
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAgmonkey76VBaskin2008
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 731
    ^ Not to Clint Eastwood it isn't.
    SumoLegoJackad7gmonkey76VBaskin2008
    flord said:
    Wait. Captain Rex is in Return of the Jedi?

*Waves hand*
    Yes.

jediami6577ncaachampsKevin_HyattVBaskin2008Goldchains
    Any chance we'll get a more coherent remake of the prequels?  

My mind has been blown by the revelation that Santa Rex vaguely resembles a nameless bearded redshirt from RotJ.

Sky's the limit.  That chair will be President in 2020...

flordJamesJTVBaskin2008
  • ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    Isn't that nameless beard also the source for one of the endor minifigures in #75094 ?
    VBaskin2008
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nik_Sant

Anddd wiki put a hole in the random conspiracy theory of the day.
    VBaskin2008
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    I thought it was rather unusual for Obi Wan to catch and cradle a dying Maul.

Showed respect for him but also a recognition that Maul was no longer the Sith devil he once was. Reformed, I guess you can say.
    SprinkleOtterVBaskin2008
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,877
    edited March 2017
    SumoLego said:
    Unlikely, although Disney appear to be ignoring the prequels to win hard core Star Winge fans over. I don't think they would be able to redo them due to contracts and keeping it coherent. They would irritate people as well, a lot of fans who grew up with the prequels are now adults; and don't view them as badly as older fans who built up their own massive expectations. Plus if they re make them they can also do that to the original trilogy.  
    VBaskin2008
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,133
    Whaaat?
    Remake the original trilogy?
    A story about a desert bound youngster who doesn't realise their potential until meeting a sage old hermit?
    A superweapon that can destroy planets?
    A bad guy with a scary helmet and a red lightsaber?
    A rescue attempt from the mentioned before superweapon?
    Blowing up said superweapon as the climax of the film?

Nah, it will never happen. ;)
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAJackad7SprinkleOtterKevin_Hyattgmonkey76JamesJTRedbullgivesuwindVBaskin2008solid_strider
    SumoLego said:

My mind has been blown by the revelation that Santa Rex vaguely resembles a nameless bearded redshirt from RotJ.

Sky's the limit.  That chair will be President in 2020...

It beat our options in 2016...
    Jackad7VBaskin2008
    Also, weren't clones aging ~2x as fast as everyone else? Wouldn't Rex be at least in a walker by RoTJ?
    VBaskin200877ncaachamps
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 806
    One of the people involved with Rebels said something along the lines of "I'd like to think of that bearded rebel in RotJ as Rex".
    VBaskin2008
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 806
    Also, weren't clones aging ~2x as fast as everyone else? Wouldn't Rex be at least in a walker by RoTJ?
    Well, Rebels is only a few years before ANH, and the original 3 films aren't top far apart time wise, not like RotS and ANH. Plus, I might be wrong, but I think clones only reached maturity 2x as fast, and didn't age 2x as fast their while life. I could be wrong.
    VBaskin2008
  • EmbowEmbow U.S TexasMember Posts: 9
    I might be wrong, but I think clones only reached maturity 2x as fast, and didn't age 2x as fast their while life. I could be wrong.
    Clones age twice as fast as a regular human, hence Rex being so old in Rebels.
    VBaskin2008
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    The fact that Rex is a Polynesian clone whereas Nic Sant is Anglo-Saxon (or the galaxy far, far away equivalent) is a bit of a fan retcon party killer for me, even when the retconning fan is involved in the production of the SW universe.
      The empty chair one is a bit cooler (though way back in the infancy of fan retconning most of us seemed to agree the empty chair belonged to the Emperor).
    SumoLegoVBaskin2008
    Can I put in a vote for Admiral Thrawn?

Because... Thrawn.
    SprinkleOtterflordJackad7gmonkey76VBaskin2008Lordmoral
    SumoLego said:
    Can I put in a vote for Admiral Thrawn?

Because... Thrawn.
    Here, here!
    SumoLegoVBaskin2008
  • solid_stridersolid_strider TexasMember Posts: 207
    Watched the season finale on demand and was a bit let down if I'm to be honest.
    gmonkey76jediami65VBaskin2008Jackad7
    I hate to say this, but I secretly hoped that Thrawn was going to be a SDCC exclusive so he would be easier to display.
    SprinkleOtterVBaskin2008
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,593
    @SumoLego He still can be depending upon what uniform/outfit they put him in. 
    SumoLegosolid_striderVBaskin2008
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,541
    Yes I was left underwhelmed by the finale. The highlight for me was the thrawn/kallus fight.
    solid_striderjediami65VBaskin2008
  • BoomstickBoomstick IndianaMember Posts: 247
    I want a lego bendu. That would be cool.
    solid_striderjediami65VBaskin200877ncaachamps
    SumoLego said:
    I hate to say this, but I secretly hoped that Thrawn was going to be a SDCC exclusive so he would be easier to display.
    An armoured Thrawn would be cool, but not as an exclusive :)  

After this season, I want:

Salt and pepper haired Obi Wan
    Maul
    Maybe the above two with a pair of Tusken Raiders in a battlepack... with a bantha and dewback!

Fenn Rau

Dodonna and Mon Mothma in a Corellian Corvette or Hammerhead 

Pryce
    The last two Inquisitors

And most of all, Hondo

jediami65starwars4everVBaskin200877ncaachampsLordmoral
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    Just watched the double episode season three finale, and I loved it!

With regard to  cool Lego sets and official minifigs I can dream of TLG designing:
    I hope TLG will release a new AT-AT (SW Rebels version / Ralph McQuarrie version) set, similar or a little bigger in size than #75054
    Great opportunity to include Grand Admiral Thrawn in battle outfit in such a set, next to some storm Troopers, and pair of Death Troopers. Only I hope they won't mess up the helmet print! For those of you who remember: I don't like the SW-R droopy mustachio vents on the helmets of troopers and Tie-pilots etc. and I for those of you who forgot about me ranting about it, now you do. ;-)   (sorry)
    Anyway, instead of an AT-AT, a full scale Sentinel-class landing craft will also be fantastic. A big set with a beautifully designed vehicle that includes plenty of minifigs such as: Grand Admiral Trawn, Governor Price, and Admiral Constantine, and some more imperial crew members from the Imperial Navy to fly the ship, cargo such as crates filled with proper minifig blasters, as well as room enough to stash troopers from e.g.: the currently available R1 Imperial battle-pack minifigs in it, and/or room enough for some speeders.

About this episode, as well as some of my thoughts on season 3:
    Loved the fight between Thrawn and Kallus. I saw the animators studied some kickboxing/Muay Thai. I like how they choreographed that fight.

Love the introduction of Thrawn in this season, but missed the inquisitors. A shame they did not continue to do anything with this secretive order of dark force wielders, and no Darth Vader in season three!   

Ooh and I am glad about how they build up the suspense for Kallus. Is he going to make it or not. Kallus is a great character, and it is a shame they did not centre an entire episode around him, instead of some of the other 'filler' episodes. Such as the episode called 'Iron Squadron' where a bunch of not well rounded annoying juvenile characters, or rather just some silly stereotypes, are introduced flying a ship with a broken hyperdrive taking out Imperial capital ships with ease which was just ridiculous. Did I catch a glimpse of one of those kids (the cousin or nephew of Commander Sato) flying an A- or Y-wing going into battle in this final episode? The episode 'An Inside Man' was good, and another episode centring even more on Kallus and Thrawn would have been much appreciated.

The double final episode is a solid, full of action and suspense. At least in IMO! At times it seemed a little rushed and I think they (Hidalgo and colleagues) could have even layed out this story in three or maybe even four episodes.

All in all this third season felt very uneven to me, with some fantastic episodes, but also a couple of lacklustre ones, and even a really terrible one. I am glad most of you all seem to like 'Twin Suns' (episode 19), but I thought Hildalgo and his 'partners in crime' really wasted Maul. Yes, an utter waste to end such a great character the way they did! No 12 and a half minute youtube:

Rebels Recon #3.20: Inside Twin Suns | Star Wars Rebels

can change that, in spite of the entire explanation about what they all tried to convey. It is nice that they were inspired by Akira Kurosawa (did they even mentioned him), and possibly other Japanese directors who have made Samurai films where the duals fought with katanas are often decided with one swift stroke (in reality I have read and been told the two samurai often just killed each other simultaneously when they attempted to decide a dual in one sword stroke). Such samurai films are similar to the way you see gunslingers in western movies with dead accuracy after a suspenseful long stare-down settle their disputes pulling the trigger only once, and one of the two cowboys dropping to the dust. However the ideas are good, yet it did not translate well in my opinion to the episode of SW-R. With regard to the fight: Obi Wan cut Maul's double lightsabre in two, yet Maul was unspoiled when he should have been dead instantly with his head split in two, or when Obi Wan only cut his sabre in two, he should have either stabbed or followed it up with a final strike to actually finish him off. Now understandably having Maul die with his head being split like a melon would have been possibly too graphic and gory for a cartoon series for all ages, but they should have then (IMO) drawn a different storyboard, with a different choreography and animated moves in this fight. I know when you watch fencing or kendo, these point based fights don't last long, but like in real life back in the days of the samurai in Japan, and medieval Europe, and well after that up until the nineteenth century soldiers fighting with melee weapons usually wore protective armour so they could withstand (some) blows and strokes. For the sake of drama and suspense and the purpose of entertainment they should have given Maul more of a tragic but above all epic final showdown. I am not so much disappointed with Maul dying in Obi Wan's arms, coming to terms realizing the chosen one will still avenge the sith in the future. But again a character from both the OT and PT is introduced, and even an ant size glimpse of Luke Skywalker is shown, and these characters are under utilized (well at least Obi Wan). You might as well have kept Maul around, and pit him against Darth Vader in season four! Also I thought it was ludicrous when Hildalgo started about how he deemed prolonging the fight to be not believable to the audience, when he has written and directed entire episodes lacking credibility and suspense of disbelief (such as episode: iron squadron). It makes me wonder if his subordinates need to fear for their jobs, hence not criticising poor screen writing and directing. Perhaps my expectations as a SW fan are too high, but I cannot help but wonder why some brilliant episodes are recurringly followed by some that are so poorly done.

Anyway I am still very much looking forward to season four.
    starwars4everVBaskin2008gmonkey76
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    SumoLego said:
    An armoured Thrawn would be cool, but not as an exclusive :)  

After this season, I want:

Salt and pepper haired Obi Wan
    Maul
    Maybe the above two with a pair of Tusken Raiders in a battlepack... with a bantha and dewback!

Fenn Rau

Dodonna and Mon Mothma in a Corellian Corvette or Hammerhead 

Pryce
    The last two Inquisitors

And most of all, Hondo

But not only that, the biggest part for season 4..........THE X-WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBigLegoskisolid_striderLordmoral
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    Rebels fans, which Star Wars: Rebels vehicle and starfighter deserved to be in a LEGO set?

Hera's B-Wing Starfighter.

The Hammerhead-Class Corvette.

Fenn Rau's Fangfighter.

Kanan and Rex's T4 Lambada-Class Imperial Shuttle.

Or YT2400 Sato's Hammer.

Let me know OK?
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    Uh oh... here we go again.  How many Star Wars threads are we going to see on the f/p of Collecting?
    gmonkey76SumoLegoTheBigLegoskistluxVBaskin2008
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,995
    Agree. There is a SW Rebels topic already. Why not join in the discussion there rather than splitting the existing one.
    gmonkey76TheBigLegoskistluxVBaskin2008
    I wasn't wowed by the finale. No suspense- nobody I really cared about could be killed off. I actually wanted Kallus to die for something, but the kept him around.

Alliance commander ramming an Imperial ship? Never seen that before. Except with the Lusankya, battle of Mon Calamari, Anakin over Ryloth, and that A-Wing from RoTJ.

Rebels escaping just in time? Seen it.

I just felt disconnected from this episode.
    VBaskin2008Jackad7gmonkey76
    (You won't enjoy Iron Fist, either.)
    bandit778SprinkleOtterVBaskin2008ARo2891
    @SumoLego                

Why won't @SprinkleOtter like Iron Fist either? I don't know anything about Iron Fist. I had to google it, and discovered he is a Marvel superhero with the power of mintberrycrunch! Aahhmm, no that is another 'superhero', he has the power of Chi!!!

I agree with SprinkleOtter that Sato going suicidal was a bit silly. Commander Sato could have ordered some astromech droid to sacrifice its self and get the fudge of that ship before it went boom! Just like all the other Rebels who abandoned ship in escapepods.

Still I loved all the space battle scenes. It is so much fun to watch.
    SprinkleOtterVBaskin2008
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    CCC said:
    Agree. There is a SW Rebels topic already. Why not join in the discussion there rather than splitting the existing one.
    He is already quite active in that discussion.
    VBaskin2008ARo2891
    SumoLego said:
    The ship or the book? I'm ashamed to admit I haven't gotten that far in the Rogue Squadron books.
    VBaskin2008
    SumoLego said:
    The ship or the book? I'm ashamed to admit I haven't gotten that far in the Rogue Squadron books.
    I meant feeling disconnected from the finale.  The last episode of Iron Fist on Netflix should have been the 6th episode.  Very underwhelming!  My apologies for being completely and utterly off-topic.  Not that I meant to steer this elsewhere, but it is really difficult to balance a satisfying finale without boring half of the viewers. 

Iron Fist - Marvel Superhero, not in the SW Universe.
    VBaskin2008SprinkleOtterbandit778gmonkey76
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,133
    @SprinkleOtter
    I loved those books and always thought they would have made an excellent tv series.
    @TheBigLegoski
    Just add Star Wars in front of your search and it should come up with the book and ship reference.
    VBaskin2008
    @bandit778
    Thanks, but I already facepalmed myself. No, but really thanks. When I did google it wookipedia popped up with an 'executor class star-destroyer', and book six of an X-Wing series being called 'Iron Fist' too. Still I was right in assuming Sumolego referred to something else, and since Sumo is nuts about Marvel (among other things) I just went with that.

Anyway back on-topic.
    Looking back on this third season, I have to conclude other than Kallus as one of the informants using the codename Fulcrum being uncovered, and Maul dying a shitty death, absolutely nothing has progressed from the events at the end of season two. I feel a bit miffed about this season. None of the main characters were further developed, except for Sabine, from the point of last season's finale. This season sorely lacked consistency.
    gmonkey76VBaskin2008
    @bandit778
    Thanks, but I already facepalmed myself. No, but really thanks. When I did google it wookipedia popped up with an 'executor class star-destroyer', and book six of an X-Wing series being called 'Iron Fist' too. Still I was right in assuming Sumolego referred to something else, and since Sumo is nuts about Marvel (among other things) I just went with that.

Anyway back on-topic.
    Looking back on this third season, I have to conclude other than Kallus as one of the informants using the codename Fulcrum being uncovered, and Maul dying a shitty death, absolutely nothing has progressed from the events at the end of season two. I feel a bit miffed about this season. None of the main characters were further developed, except for Sabine, from the point of last season's finale. This season sorely lacked consistency.
    I disagree on "nothing happened". However, the only thing that did happen was the episode with Mon Mothma. Best of the season in my opinion.
    VBaskin2008
    I definitely felt the episode was underwhelming but I also kind of expected it. I'm hoping they're going to reach a point like in the clone wars when they start killing characters off (I mean, I guess maul and sato but they were "here and there" characters.) and the episides start having more diversifying endings than the typical "feel good" endings. I am reallly glad that Thrawn didn't die because I really haven't seen him make the impact I expect from a his character. 
    Moving on I'm excited for season 4, the teaser picture that showed Fenn Rau's helmet and Bo  Katan's helmet looks really good. Also the death watch story from The Clone wars was probably my favorite because the story can be devolped without having to play around the movies and they did a really good job with that in the clone wars. I am hoping that this season will be the turning point for rebels as the mandalorians don't appear in the original trilogy so these shows don't have to have everything end all feel good. 
    solid_striderVBaskin2008
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 705
    Thrawn Star Destroyer The Chimera with Gilliard Palleon as his XO and filled with Imperial crew and ground personnel.
    VBaskin2008
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    Hammerhead is a guarantee to get made at some point with its appearance in Rogue One as well. 
    Jackad7VBaskin2008Lordmoral
    ^Yeah, my initial take on the finale was that it was a "Disney" ending.  It needed a major death (aside from Sato, which I felt was a given) to have more gravity.  I thought they'd do a nod to the original Timothy Zahn story and have Kallus kill Thrawn and then get killed afterwards.  That would have been an acceptable way to write Thrawn off to me, while also having the Rebels suffer a loss.  I'm certainly glad that Bendu didn't kill him off.

Also got as far as finishing season 5 of Clone Wars on Friday.  I know I'm years late, but man, that last Ahsoka story was something else.  It's definitely swayed me to either get the Combat Frigate or pony up for Rebels Ahsoka (and Sato) on their own.  Being a fan of the Karen Traviss Republic Commando books, I was indifferent to the Mando stories on TCW since they completely disregarded the world she built, but I did like Pre Viszla and got more into when they merged it with the Maul arc.  Looking forward to seeing how they wrap that up, especially with Filoni saying that they're managing to find ways to resolve those TCW loose ends.  It'd be cool to see Boba Fett and Cad Bane next season.
    Jackad7VBaskin2008
    I'd like to see something with the interdictor cruiser, maybe a midi-scale set since play size sets of those style ships usually aren't great and no way it will be a UCS. I just really like the gravity well 'effect' and it is unique to rebels (in that it doesn't appear in the movies.)
    VBaskin2008Lordmoral