Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Set Details "Current Value" calculation

tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 180
I'm loving the integration of Brickset with Bricklink, and I'm finding new features all the time.  I'm not sure when this was added, but I really like the "Current Value" information displayed on the Set Details sidebar, as it is helpful in deciding which, if any sets, I may want to sell from my collection.  However, I'm finding the information displayed a bit hit and miss when it comes to accuracy.  For example, when I look at this page:

http://brickset.com/sets/21017-1/Imperial-Hotel

It is showing a new set current value of ~$103.  In looking at the Bricklink Price Guide page, it seems that that is based on the minimum price for new sales in the last 6 months.  This number can be quite misleading as many times sets are sold as incomplete or have other issues that create a very low minimum compared to the average sell price.   I would think a more representative number is the average price of sets sold, or perhaps even more relevant, the average price of sets available for sale.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    It doesn't make much difference for this set, but maybe also it could use the "exclude incomplete" option.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 497
    Average price of "exclude incomplete" sales strikes me as fair. After all, an asking price doesn't have to reflect the true market value, but the price of a completed sale defines the market.
    ricecakekiki180703
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,726
    The data is provided by the brickline api set up for me to use and yes it's supposed to give lowest 6 month sold price. It may well exclude incomplete sets, I'm not sure, but often sellers don't label them as such which  causes anomalies.