Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset Bonus Ball **- Special SumoLego Edition -** Win complete set of S3 CMF's

bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
A special draw this week so without further ado over to our host and generous sponsor @SumoLego

In honor of the Patron Saint of the Brickset Forum @Pitfall69, hitting the extraordinary figure of TEN THOUSAND likes, this week's raffle will feature a complete set of Series 3 CMFs, provided by @SumoLego.

This week's question: "Who would you consider to be the most gracious runner-up in the history of the universe?"  

No sidekicks, please - just those noble souls that for any number of reasons, happened to finish second.  

(@SumoLego by coincidence happened to pass the ten thousand mark this week, but is too humble to draw any attention to himself for such an arbitrary accomplishment.  And he's originally from Buffalo, NY - the Mecca of the Runner-Up.)

Wow certainly a great prize to be won this week.  I don't really have a favourite runner up as I believe everyone can win given enough time, effort and determination.  Maybe Donald Trump would be the one I would select though - runner up for Time Magazine Person of the year 2015 and maybe runner up next year for another thing?

Good luck all and thanks to SumoLego again for providing the prize for this weeks draw and congrats to @Pitfall69 for being so liked by us all too.
GothamConstructionCoLegoboysnowhitietallblocktoodonutboySumoLegoPitfall69Lego_StarRenegade007cjhpharmjodkiki180703mr.pigglesMynattricecakecatwrangler

Comments

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    edited September 2016
    Hmm, will I be number 1? Stirling Moss, best driver to never win an overall championship. Edit: 1 it is. Edit 2: SIR Stirling Moss.
    SithLord196
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,902
    Weird Al Yankovic was quite gracious in the UHF commentary track when mentioning losing 'Best Picture' to Driving Miss Daisy that year. 
    gmonkey76ricecakecatwrangler
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Miss Colombia from the pageant thing last year.
    SumoLegoricecake
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 781
    Al Gore circa 2000.
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 762
    John McEnroe was always very gracious, even when a judging decision went against him. As in "good gracious me!"
    snowhitie
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    Raymond Poulidor
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Buzz Aldrin
    iso3200snowhitieLobotdavetheoxygenmanricecakecatwrangler
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    edited September 2016
    Jimmy White one of the worlds best snooker players never to win a world championship. He came runner up 6 times. 
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    Tim Henman at Wimbledon.

snowhitieSumoLego
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    Great effort @SumoLego.

From one of my favourite films, the best supervillan, Megamind.
    snowhitieSumoLego
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 292
    Buzz Aldrin
    davetheoxygenmanricecake
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    The Buffalo Bills who lost 4 straight Superbowls....
    SumoLego
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,011
    Norwich Football club - they always seem to do well in the championship, heading for promotion and then drop into the playoff places and never quite make it. My boss is a Norwich fan and he reminds me of Norwich's bad luck at least once a week.
  • DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    Jack Nicklaus
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited September 2016
    Miss Columbia after being humiliated at the Miss Universe competition last year. I would have sucker punched Steve Harvey for his inability to read a simple name on an envelop.  ;-)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    Possibly not the most gracious in history, as it would be bad form to repeat what other people have already chosen, but....

WHAM!

(or specifically, their Last Christmas song. The song that reminds me of Christmas the most)

Despite selling millions and millions of copies, and still selling quite well every year since, it only ever made it to number 2 in the charts (albeit for 13 weeks in a row). Why so gracious? Because George Michael also sang in the Band Aid charity effort that stopped it from getting to number 1.

MattsWhatsnowhitieSumoLegoricecakedspigelcatwrangler
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    Being the number two child in my family, and the middle child to boot, I guess I've never paid much attention to runner's up.  But I do have a lot of admiration for the marathon runner profiled on the Olympics here who was leading, comfortably, when a spectator ran him into the crowd, and ruined his rhythm.  He managed third in spite of that, and now teaches others about not giving up.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Lee Westwood for me. Can't see it happening for him in the future but he should have had a few majors in the bag already. 
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 377
    Buzz Aldrin
    davetheoxygenman
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 549
    Chewbacca - because he did just as much as everyone else but still didn't get a medal at the end of A New Hope.
    snowhitiegmonkey76TheOriginalSimonBToc13ricecakecatwrangler
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    Terry Fox
    LittleLori
  • pookiepookie Member Posts: 156
    N.J boxer Shakur Stevenson silver in Rio 2016.
  • BoomDiggityBoomDiggity Member Posts: 107
    Woody in Toy Story.  Let's be honest...it was definitely the Buzz Lightyear show.
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 342
    Salieri in the film Amadeus. He was clearly second best, but he handled it pretty well.....
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,670
    Buzz Aldrin
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    These things get harder each week - how about technic for being second to real LEGO 
    ;-)
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Second place is just the first loser. 

Oh, I guess that doesn't really answer the question. Um...

Cam Newton. Last season's Super Bowl. 

Oh wait, I'm not very good at this. 
    TyresOFlahertySumoLego
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 297
    Piers Morgan - poor chap never won anything. 
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 585
    Sega had a lot going for it in the 80's and 90's, but ultimately took 2nd place in the console wars to Nintendo. At least now they make games for Nintendo (ouch).
    AllBrickcatwrangler
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    Only thing that comes to mind is JR Hildebrand after losing the 2011 Indianapolis 500.
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,558
    Anyone one of us who doesn't win the raffle are runners up right. So brickset members are my favourite runner Ups! 
    TyresOFlahertysnowhitieAllBrickSumoLegoToc13ricecakecatwrangler
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    edited September 2016
    Waw, great extra special edition and cool prize, exciting!

Another vote for Buzz Aldrin here, he's still got closer to the moon than most of us :)
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 782
    Jimmy White. Nerves always got the better of him.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 991
    Bill Belicheat of the New England Patriots - actually tipped his cap to the Denver Broncos after last year's playoff loss
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,259
    edited September 2016
    Nikola Tesla.

(Although his invention makes all Frankenstein movies look cool)
    ricecakecatwrangler
  • jedivalkyriejedivalkyrie Member Posts: 238
    Tonto, always the guy who gets beat up to help the Lone Ranger
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 1,008
    Jimmy White is a good shout.

Id go for Queen We are the Champions - which never made it to no 1.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    @bendybadger seeing as someone else is contributing the price - maybe you should have a number too, to be part of the excitement on the other side.

You could be number one since you answered the question in your own post or whatever entry this is - 35?
    catwrangler
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,076
    Hillary Clinton in the 2008 Presidential Primary.
  • Darthtater147Darthtater147 United StatesMember Posts: 56
    I too have to go with Buzz Aldrin.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    edited September 2016
    Guy Martin
    He attended The Isle of Man TT 6 years and had 10 podium finishes, but never secured first place.

iso3200bandit778
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Although he won a fair share Jack Nicklaus placed second a total of 19 times.  

Congrats to Pitfall69 and SumoLego
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,057
    Guy Martin.
  • legobodlegobod CA USAMember Posts: 312
    Life. Always coming in second to finding that rare CMF in each series you can't get anywhere no matter how many bags you feel.
    MattsWhat
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,652
    edited September 2016
    God. Always pipped to the post by the devil, but seems to be relatively gracious about it.
  • magrimagri UKMember Posts: 157
    Andre De Grasse
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    John McCain.
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    Another vote for Buzz Aldrin.

• nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    Colin Montgomery, never won a major.