Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Del Monte Mystery Kit

wjoeyjoneswjoeyjones USMember Posts: 19

So I have come across 2 brown box mailer kits from what appears to be Del Monte.  They are very similar to the Kraft Velveeta Mail-In Offer sets.  The only thing I know about them is that the return address is from:

Del Monte LEGO Building Kit

P.O. Box 16362

Denver, COLO. 80216

Each kit had the following part counts in the boxes:

Part #

Description

Color

Count

Brick 1X2

Clear

Brick 1X2

Blue

Brick 1X2

Red

Brick 1X2

White

Plate 2 X6

White

Brick 1 X 8

White

Brick 1 X 8

Red

Brick 2  X 2

Red

Brick 2  X 2

White

Brick 2  X 2

Blue

Brick 2 X 4

Red

Brick 2 X 4

White

Brick 2 X 4

Blue

Thick Base 10 X 20 No underside Studs

Blue

The only exception was one box was missing 3 bricks to make them the same.  Not sure these are even the correct bricks.  The bricks are all Pat. Pend. Bricks, no Cellulose bricks.

One of the boxes has an idea sheet # 8029.  This is a two side black and white sheet and I have only found one reference to it at http://brickfetish.com/samsonite/8029/

The boxes are made out of corrugated cardboard, not the chip board that the Kraft Sets came in.

My assumption is this kit is from the early 70's based on the bricks and the paperwork still coming from Samsonite.

I was hoping somebody like @Istokgor any of the other experts online could help me out in identifying what this kit might be.

Lego_Starkiki180703stluxcatwranglerMr_Crossandhe

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    Paging @Istokg:-)
    Lego_Stargmonkey76kiki180703
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 509
    Those are definitely Samsonite bricks.  The hard part is knowing if all the parts are there.  126 doesn't clearly match up with any of the promo sets I'm familiar with.  For the late 60s and early 70s the only US promo sets I can think of are Kraft/Velveeta and Life Cereal.  I've not seen any Del Monte promos, but that doesn't mean the didn't happen.  Given the number of unknowns for that era its possible there are still unheard of promos.

I'll have to check my promo boxes to see if any say Del Monte or if they are all Kraft and Life.
  • wjoeyjoneswjoeyjones USMember Posts: 19

I agree the part count does not match anything I could find.   The Kraft sets I have say Kraft-LEGO Special Offer or Kraft-LEGO Mini Wheel.

I just noticed something on the shipping label, RPL 15.  This is similar to the markings on the Kraft Labels.  I do not have duplicates of any one set so I cannot confirm this, but it looks like the Mini Wheels sets where marked MM 51 #1, #2 and #3, respectively.   Maybe it means something, maybe not.  I am also adding a new picture, there is a 1258 stamped in red on both boxes.  I know that the numbers on many of the brown box catalog sets had a unique number.

Those are definitely Samsonite bricks.  The hard part is knowing if all the parts are there.  126 doesn't clearly match up with any of the promo sets I'm familiar with.  For the late 60s and early 70s the only US promo sets I can think of are Kraft/Velveeta and Life Cereal.  I've not seen any Del Monte promos, but that doesn't mean the didn't happen.  Given the number of unknowns for that era its possible there are still unheard of promos.

I'll have to check my promo boxes to see if any say Del Monte or if they are all Kraft and Life.
    Sorry @LusiferSam I guess I should also start pinging for you as well :-)
    sid3windr
    ^ No worries.  Istokg is the real expect.  I'm just an interested amateur.

I don't know that the number on the shipping label means anything.  The red number might.  Which 3 pieces are missing from the second set?  It's possible it's only missing two pieces.  I have theory about the late period catalog sets which may apply here as well.  If you drop the last number from the Mfg number it looks like a set number.  If you drop the 8 you have 125, which is oddly close to the number of pieces you have.  Then again it may just be a coincidence.
    Which 3 pieces are missing from the second set? 
    It was missing a Clear 1X2, a White 1 X 2 and a Blue 2 X 2.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,183
    OK.... well now we know this 8029 (the brochure number dates this to 1971) is from a Del Monte product.  It would have to be something that kids love.... so my guess would be one of these 3 items.....

Although hypothetically, it could be any Del Monte product.

Even Oxydol... a USA laundry soap got into the LEGO craze at the same time circa 1971...

bobabrickswjoeyjonesmadforLEGOkiki180703catwrangler

Thanks @Istokg , I have been looking at thousands of images from Del Monte products, I had hoped to see something that said LEGO.  I also found out that Hawaiian Punch was once owned by Del Monte when Del Monte and RJ Reynolds where merged in the 70’s for a time.  It was a reach, and It only lead me to looking at bunches of Hawaiian Punch ads to no avail.

I am going to keep researching, I now have something else to look at when I visit Yard Sales and Flea Markets, Del Monte swag.

• M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 640
    ^ I’m hardly an expert on history for any of these sets, but just have to say that’s an awesome find!
    Awesome find, your copy of the Del Monte set box is in very good shape.  I always love seeing something new like 1259 vs the1258 I have on both of my boxes.

Did you get the broacher with the set?  The copy I have is in very poor shape, hopefully you got a nice copy.

It hasn't arrived yet.  It should come with the brochure, which is a large part of why I was so quick it grab it.  The brochure looked to be in good shape.  I'll have to wait and see once it arrives.

I hadn't seen the photos of the second box before.  Is ink on the second box also in red?  Yours is the only Mfg number I've seen in red.  Normally they are in black. 
    @Istokg in case he is interested
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 921
    Huw said:
    Perhaps @DeMontes is interested in the Del Monte set, too...

I am so, SO glad that I'm not the only one who thought that.
    davetheoxygenmanDeMontesKungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    So I spotted this on eBay and snapped it up right away.

So you made an offer and the man from Del Monte said yes?
    drdavewatfordLusiferSammsanders
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 652
    edited January 16
    Fizyx said:
    Huw said:
    Perhaps @DeMontes is interested in the Del Monte set, too...

I am so, SO glad that I'm not the only one who thought that.

and I looked at this thread originally and thought WOW....a mystery for ME !!!!

Then I looked again (sigh) I am interested in the Del Monte set haha but just sad that this thread is not all about me ;-)
    FizyxKungFuKennyMr_CrossLittleLoridavetheoxygenmanomniumbandit778sid3windr
    CCC said:
    So you made an offer and the man from Del Monte said yes?

No, not really.  A man with a Del Monte set (not even with Del Monte) made an offer and I said yes.  I know I'm messing up the joke here, sorry.
    Fizyxdavetheoxygenman
    Sorry for the delayed response, I just got back from Brickfair Alabama.  Yes both boxes are stamped with red, and yes these are the only ones I have seen stamped in red myself.

If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, the one box looks like somebody was using a black ink pad and then switched to a red ink pad.  The one box is a good clean red while the other is darker red, like somebody mixed up something.  Could have used the wrong ink to re ink the pad, or stamper.  No idea, just a thought.  Samsonite was not know for quality control or consistency...
    No worries.  I've been battling the flu for several days and have large been too busy catching up on work before I head out of town on business.

Anyway, the package arrived last week.  The brochure is in very good shape.  I've not yet counted the pieces to see if what is there.  The box is same size as the Kraft 125 box.  This is not surprising given that these are basically the same set, with one being sold by Kraft and other by Del Monte.

Interesting on the ink.  Mystery for me mull over later one.  In the meantime I guess it's just Samsonite being Samsonite.

M1J0E
    edited January 30
    Paging @Istokg   (as Im not sure it worked last time)