The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Anyone else miss LoTR...

mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
With fall in the air and Halloween around the corner I'm looking for something like LoTR or "Castle-y" to build.  Lego currently doesn't have anything to offer me.  Nexo-Knights isn't it.  The Disney Castle while neat is way too much for me to spend and isn't dark enough.  If you know what I mean.  I'm looking for Tower of Orthanc or even Haunted House type builds.  But new and off the shelf.  Anyone else with me?  I guess MOC'ing is the answer.
MasterBeefytallblocktooDontcopythatfloppy

Comments

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,078
    I'm certainly in agreement... I have been picking up a number of LOTR / TH sets on the after-market recently and there's a (very small) running joke about when (not if) I purchase a ToO, but I'd love a proper Castle set or two as well.
    When I was young, I preferred the Classic Space theme, so have no old Castle sets and, unfortunately, I was in my DA when the last Castle sets were released and I'd love some of the ones released between 2007 and 2013.
    MasterBeefyMaffyDDontcopythatfloppy
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,365
    I would love to see a dark, evil-ish version of the Disney castle. Change some colors here and there, add some deterioration of sorts. Hmm. Maybe I'll add that to my already impossibly long list of MOC ideas. 
    SprinkleOtterMasterBeefygmonkey76catwranglerDontcopythatfloppy
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    edited September 2016
    I just bought a sealed copy of Dol Gulder Battle on eBay for $56 shipped.  I've always liked ruined castles and I think Lego bricks translate well in this regard.  I'm going to incorporate it into a "dark forest" MOC that I'm working on.  
    MasterBeefygmonkey76Dontcopythatfloppy
    I'm certainly in agreement... I have been picking up a number of LOTR / TH sets on the after-market recently and there's a (very small) running joke about when (not if) I purchase a ToO, but I'd love a proper Castle set or two as well.
    When I was young, I preferred the Classic Space theme, so have no old Castle sets and, unfortunately, I was in my DA when the last Castle sets were released and I'd love some of the ones released between 2007 and 2013.
    I actually sold my ToO last year.  I kind of regret it but we needed the money.  Great set if you can afford it.  And after-market prices are not terrible on it.  

I like Classic Space too.  In fact Castle and Space are really the only two Lego themes that I collect now.  I go back and forth which I want build/play with.  As fall approaches I just get the craving for dark, Castle stuff more.  
    JudgeChuck
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,902
    I miss a good castle line. While not my main collectible, that being City, and city related Creator sets (modulars), I really have a soft spot for the theme, and miss LoTR a bit, as I think it was near the best LEGO could do with the line given some of the grand scenes in the book/movies.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
    I loved the LotR theme too, but I doubt Lego will ever release sets from this theme again. I would get whatever LotR set you think you're going to want because they are only going to go up in price. Personally, I've been snapping up LotR minifigures for my display cabinet, and one can never have too many Orcs.
    SumoLegoMasterBeefydougtsDontcopythatfloppy
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 715
    edited September 2016
    Sigh ... I miss new LOTR sets.  I've been filling in with reverse engineering micro builds.
    This Minas Tirith by Lisqr is my current project.
    stluxFarmer_John
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 477
    Oh yes, I definitely do miss them. The Hobbit sets disappointed me with the release of the last film, but I was so stoked for the Tower of Orthanc and other Return of the King-themed sets. Alas, we never got any battle vignettes for the Battle of Pelennor Fields, or a proper depiction of Sauron in his Second Age form. I treasure my ToO, however, and all the sets I got from the previous year of release.

All we need for the theme to return is for New Line Cinema to wrest the rights to the Simarillion from the Tolkien Estate and WHAM! A new trilogy of films and some sets to accompany them.
    MasterBeefyFarmer_JohnCommanderRaab
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,390
    TLG never did a proper series of sets for Return of the King.
    No Minas Tirith,
    No Battle of Pelenor Fields,
    No Battle Packs for army building.
    No Death of The Witch King. 
    No Grond. 
    No Mumak.
    The list goes on.......

A few people have tried some great Ideas projects, but they have all been rejected - so far. I'm guessing TLG no longer have the licence? and would not care enough to make the sets that AFOL's and LoTR fans want.

As far as I am concerned LoTR could be an evergreen Fantasy Castle series or done as a five year rotation, with Harry Potter filling the gap years. But TLG will not do that. 

MasterBeefyicey117
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 423
    @mathew Couldn't you just get the instructions for the Disney Castle from the Lego website and do a Batman redesign, i.e. make it in black... and really dark grey?
    gmonkey76
    Venunder said:
    TLG never did a proper series of sets for Return of the King.
    No Minas Tirith,
    No Battle of Pelenor Fields,
    No Battle Packs for army building.
    No Death of The Witch King. 
    No Grond. 
    No Mumak.
    The list goes on.......

A few people have tried some great Ideas projects, but they have all been rejected - so far. I'm guessing TLG no longer have the licence? and would not care enough to make the sets that AFOL's and LoTR fans want.

As far as I am concerned LoTR could be an evergreen Fantasy Castle series or done as a five year rotation, with Harry Potter filling the gap years. But TLG will not do that. 

I thought LEGO Ideas said any licensed sets would not be reviewed even if LEGO had the license already, is that not true?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,666
    I loved the theme but don't actually miss it, but then I am complete - if only I could find a few missing minifigs. I miss the things they didn't produce although that is mainly minifigs and creatures.
  • MasterBeefyMasterBeefy US of AMember Posts: 120
    I feel the same way, thankfully I was blessed to be able to get most of the sets when they were still out, that and the after-market prices aren't terrible. I actually snagged 2 Uruk-hai Attack sets for $100 which is the only set that has really gone up steeply (besides Shelob), but besides that I've been looking to the various CMF series to fill out my ranks, and the miscellaneous set's to add to my castle piece count. Angry Birds castle is obvious, but the Dr Strange set is  actually a decent castle part pack as well.
    Yodalicious
  • squarebear47squarebear47 Ohio - USAMember Posts: 29
    I would love to see any castle theme that has that essential Middle Ages feel to it. LOTR, generic european castle, middle eastern early society etc. 
    catwranglerMasterBeefy
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,846
    Would love to see a series with a darker version of Elves with heavy castle themed tie-ins. And a really deep storyline. Lets say, we'll call it Legend...
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 10,321
    The new Elves Castle is pretty dark.  
    SprinkleOttercatwranglerLostInTranslationwardmLyichir
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 467
    edited September 2016

I second the recommendation of Ragana's Shadow Castle ( #41180 )--you can always replace Ragana with Maleficient if you're allergic to minidolls. You can also expand it with parts from #41179 (Queen Dragon's Rescue) which are likely to be available from Bricklink without the dragon and minidolls, at least for a while.

Having said that, I also wish there had been some sets based in Gondor for the LOTR theme. I would have gladly bought several of the sets @Venunder proposes...sadly, the fact that TLG keeps rejecting all the LOTR-related Ideas that clear 10,000 votes indicates that MOCs are the only way we'll see them.

catwranglerSumoLegoLostInTranslationDontcopythatfloppy
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,553
    I miss LoTR, too.

But my aim is getting better. ;)
    SumoLegowardm
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,054
    I'm with you - this is my favorite time of year by far. 

Maybe not quite as dark as you're looking for but what about the Haunted Mansion from Scooby? That will probably be my Halloween build this year anyways. 
    catwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,333
    @JudgeChuck - the Tower is calling you... Answer it's call...

That went all Steven King's Gunslinger series there didn't it? Carry on!
    catwranglerJudgeChuck
    MaffyD said:
    @JudgeChuck - the Tower is calling you... Answer it's call...

That went all Steven King's Gunslinger series there didn't it? Carry on!
    La-la-la-la-la-la-la... Can't hear you... ;-)

Anyway, I need #79018 The Lonely Mountain first... :-)

That reminds me though... I'm sure that I missed the last book of SK's Gunslinger series... Must see what I've got and get up to date...
    SprinkleOtterMaffyD
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 801
    LOTR/Hobbit is my fav theme too.

As to castles, only had some of the most recent releases like the King's Castle, Kingdom Joust, Dragon Mountain, Troll's Mountain Fortress, Medieval Market etc, nothing older. Also had Cinderella's Romantic Castle, if you consider that as one :)

At one point in time, wanted to get the King's Castle Siege but in the end didn't.
    MasterBeefy
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Hey my first comment in a while. Very busy working on creating my business. 
    I love love LOVE the Hobbit lineup. There was so much drive for me to purchase every set just so I could collect every Dwarf. Great design for display and good for playing with for the kids if they so wished.  
    MasterBeefySumoLego
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,247
    This was the line that fully brought me into Lego (before that it was Bionicle and minifigures and small sets....though I guess I never really had a "dark ages"). Anyways before LOTR I never bought large sets. With LOTR and Hobbits I wanted almost everything either for the figures or the builds. I do hope if there is ever a major return to castles that they keep the fantasy elements similar to LOTR/
    MasterBeefycatwrangler
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 449
    I guess just a little.  Maybe.  As a big Castle fan I like anything Castle like.  I feel like there should have been one more wave to cover a few holes, most from Return of the King.  The Fellowship was well covered, but has a few gaps.  The Two Towers is spars but well covered.  Most the set I think are needed the large UCS style like Orthanc.  I think Lego spent too much time on the Hobbit. 

What I really miss is a good series of Castle sets.  The 2013 series was ok, not great but not terrible.  I enjoyed the Kingdoms and Fantasy era stuff.
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Lord of the rings is without a doubt my if not  favourite certainly the most treasured line . I cherish every set and minifig . It's also the scarcity and knowledge that there will be no new variation of any to come that makes them evenow more special. God I missp LOTR
    I never got to buy all the hobbit sets . Most didn't convince me but now I'm wondering if I'll regret the misses...

If I could recommend a great goth castle build to add to a LOTR type setup #9468 vampyre castle . Play and display perfect and still at a reasonable price .

• sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 530
    ^ This is the kind of thing that LEGO needs for a Castle theme. We really could use a series that is only part juniorized, in the smaller sets, then has a couple of really complex sets, even if not so large, for more advanced builders. There are so many gorgeous medieval period sets (Asian and Western) out there in MOCs. Temple of Airjitzu, Kingdom's Joust, and Medieval Market Place have come close and are quite beautiful.
    catwranglerrichostlux
    I wish LEGO would as much effort into a new Castle line as they did for LoTR as there has not been a line like that since The Orcs/Dwarves line (before LoTR) IMO. It just seems like LEGO does not spend as much time allocating the funds and designing any good themes not called 'City', 'Creator', 'Super Heroes' or 'Star Wars'.. The pirate line is a good example of this I think. Now I love City and Creator lines, but I wish LEGO would just put more effort into Pirate and Castle, at least once in a while.
    Yodalicious
    edited September 2016
    I'm afraid that the simple fact is that it is probable that LEGO don't put a lot of effort into them because they didn't / don't sell as well as other themes.
    I would disagree that they don't put funds etc. into other themes though. Look at Nexo Knights & Ninjago for just two examples. Those two are arguably the modern incarnations of the Castle and Pirates themes, especially Nexo Knights, as LEGO themselves have stated.
    catwranglerstlux
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,712
    edited September 2016
    It's a bit of a vicious circle, too - the last lots of Pirate and Castle sets were nice enough in themselves (didn't buy them, but the Pirate ones are still around and for the right discount, I would), but perhaps not different enough from what had gone before to excite collectors - and maybe not kids, either. So they get less attention, so they sell less, so there's less reason to invest in those themes for the future...

And then there's the story thing - when I read about TLG's development in the last few years, there's always a lot of stress put on the fact that, contrary to the heyday of Castle and Pirates, the kids they focus-group apparently are much more enthusiastic about toys that come with a pre-loaded, detailed story and characters - not just names, I guess, but personalities like the Nexo Knights (and presumably Ninjago) ones have. Bionicle had a whole mythology. 

Now, I don't know why that should be the case now and not back then, but there are so many more competing demands on kids' time now, and a lot of those involve watching or playing narrative media. (And funnily enough it's not much different for geeky adults - me and my friends have spent so much time over the years on forum RPGs, fanfiction, fantasy board games and reviewing/arguing about movies...) Maybe it's just not enough to toss them some knights or pirates with names any more, as in days of old; maybe it really does have to be part of a whole multimedia storytelling package with the comics and TV shows and so on. 

I'm not even sure if this is a bad thing; maybe this is just the form kids want their castle and pirate adventures in now, but I know that if TLG brought out a castle theme with the aesthetics of @richo's MOC, with or without stories and characters, I would jump at it. Classic Castle is my happy place. :)
    Bumblepants
    I'm afraid that the simple fact is that it is probable that LEGO don't put a lot of effort into them because they didn't / don't sell as well as other themes.
    I would disagree that they don't put funds etc. into other themes though. Look at Nexo Knights & Ninjago for just two examples. Those two are arguably the modern incarnations of the Castle and Pirates themes, especially Nexo Knights, as LEGO themselves have stated.
    Yeah, but I consider them a different class than basic pirate or castle though. They have to be good as there is a cartoon behind them pushing the sale of those lines. There are no cartoons behind Castle or pirate though. Now I will say that will PoTC coming there is likelihood that another ' pirate' line is due with those sets.
    gmonkey76
    Yeah, but I consider them a different class than basic pirate or castle though. They have to be good as there is a cartoon behind them pushing the sale of those lines.
    You could equally well say that they could be bad, as there is a cartoon behind them pushing the sale of those lines. With the extra advertising from cartoons, they might be able to get away with less good sets if the kids have been brainwashed into wanting them by the cartoons.

TBH the MOC above, that is exactly the sort of MOC that shouldn't be a set. Adult MOCs would rarely make good sets. It is a nice adult MOC, but looks a bit boring for kids. I cannot really tell what play features there are in it, but it looks fairly exterior focussed with little possibility for getting hands inside to play. Unless of course the walls swing out and there are loads of hidden play features.

I showed it to my kids earlier and compared to the Fortrex. They both thought the Fortrex was a better set (for kids).

SumoLegoBumblepantsLostInTranslation
    I liked that MOC. But I agree that the target market demands more 'points of interest' these days. My six year old is all about what the characters do, and how they use the interactive bits of the model. My older children more so.

I like things that look great and don't need to be handled (or rather, I prefer it if they don't get handled, but that's sometimes not a choice I have)!
    stlux
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,127
    when I compare my helm's deep set to the most recent king's castle, I like how helm's deep has more texture and looks more authentic. I think the king's castle is good too, but it looks just a bit too clean.
    YodaliciousMasterBeefy
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 216
    Lego needs to use the same building techniques that they used on the Elves dragons to make more dark/light dragons for their line (wonder if we will see a dragon employed by Jestro in their NK line). 
    MasterBeefyDedgecko
    MaffyD said:
    I liked that MOC. But I agree that the target market demands more 'points of interest' these days. My six year old is all about what the characters do, and how they use the interactive bits of the model. My older children more so.

I like things that look great and don't need to be handled (or rather, I prefer it if they don't get handled, but that's sometimes not a choice I have)!
    Please don't take that last sentence out of context. Dear God. Blame the painkillers I'm on.
    BillyBricks84red5Toc13
    The last Castle and Pirate waves were mostly terrible IMO.  Lazy, un-inspired re-treads of previous sets but more generic.  No personality.  Unfortunately to get anything resembling intricate and creative builds I believe that we will be stuck with licensed sets.  The new Pirates of the Caribbean film might yield a couple of good sets including a pirate ship or two.  Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any Fantasy based films on the horizon so Castle is going to be lame for awhile.  The Nexo sets are kinda interesting but too far out there to be used for anything remotely realistic.    
    MasterBeefyricho
    Didn't sets like MMV and Joust hang around for ages, even when discounted? That is what I seem to recall. Along with smaller ones like the Blacksmith. 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,113
    CCC said:
    Didn't sets like MMV and Joust hang around for ages, even when discounted? That is what I seem to recall. Along with smaller ones like the Blacksmith. 
    Yup. Sadly the stuff we Afols tend to fawn over doesn't sell nearly as well as we would like to believe. And things we scoff at like Assault on Hoth probably sell far better.
    catwranglerMasterBeefydougtsLordmoralLyichirstluxDontcopythatfloppy
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,791
    edited September 2016
    CCC said:
    Yeah, but I consider them a different class than basic pirate or castle though. They have to be good as there is a cartoon behind them pushing the sale of those lines.
    You could equally well say that they could be bad, as there is a cartoon behind them pushing the sale of those lines. With the extra advertising from cartoons, they might be able to get away with less good sets if the kids have been brainwashed into wanting them by the cartoons.

TBH the MOC above, that is exactly the sort of MOC that shouldn't be a set. Adult MOCs would rarely make good sets. It is a nice adult MOC, but looks a bit boring for kids. I cannot really tell what play features there are in it, but it looks fairly exterior focussed with little possibility for getting hands inside to play. Unless of course the walls swing out and there are loads of hidden play features.

I showed it to my kids earlier and compared to the Fortrex. They both thought the Fortrex was a better set (for kids).

Thankfully I don't make models with you in mind @CCC

I actually built a 5000 piece UCS Hogwarts that completely opens up. My daughter loves it.
    catwranglerstlux
  • shaaseshaase Member Posts: 15
    Its unfortunate that the Hobbit Trilogy (that shouldn't have been a Trilogy) combined with Lego only basing sets off the Movies (no originality)...kind of killed off LotR and the Hobbit themes rather quickly. I also miss the "Castle" theme with the different factions other than humans; when it comes to the Castle theme Lego seems to have not only take a step away but also backwards; this is unfortunately where we are.
    catwrangler
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 798
    While I didn't get into the LEGO fantasy stuff when I was younger, in my young adult years I got into Warhammer 40K.  Nexo Knights really scratches that itch!  Space Marines, melee combat, and Chaos!

I picked up a couple of the Nexo Knights Library Sets (these have have been $20 for a few months now), and one can fashion a decent outpost/small castle, with a little sci-fi flair thrown in with these fairly easily.
    catwrangler
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,712
    @richo Any pics of the UCS Hogwarts online? :)
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,791
    edited September 2016
    ^  Lol, yeah I forgot I uploaded this yonks ago. It's got Smaug the dragon on the top at the moment. @catwrangler, here you go! Thanks for the interest, it was a labour of love for a good few months.

I keep meaning to get some more students. I need about 30!

dannyrwwJudgeChuckcatwranglerYodaliciousstluxstevecook132legomentalstarfailureJessyPR
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,835
    Like many LOTR fans I'd have loved a bit more. I really get the feeling that the Hobbit being split last minute screwed us all over - the way that LEGO phoned in a few sets for the second and third wave makes me suspect there was some sort of contractual obligation to do x number of sets per film and TLG didn't like the 2/3 change.

I think the bigger disappointment is knowing that we are unlikely to see any other castle stuff for the next couple of years at least- Mark Stafford commented over on eurobricks that Nexo Knights was developed initially as a Castle theme. While it does have potential to provide some interesting fantasy minifigs, the actual Knights (and their vehicles) are generally more suited to Sci-Fi builds.

I'm just glad for Elves at the minute, at least there is one theme that is most definitely fantasy/magic based and a lot of the sets can be useful for castle builders with a little imagination.
    BumblepantsrichostluxcatwranglerDontcopythatfloppy
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,247
    Love the color schemes of Elves as Well, and some of the pieces. It really does scratch that Fantasy Theme Itch, even if I am not fond of the minidolls (My daughters love them though).
    dannyrww said:
    Love the color schemes of Elves as Well, and some of the pieces. It really does scratch that Fantasy Theme Itch, even if I am not fond of the minidolls (My daughters love them though).
    It's too "Disney Fairy Fantasy" for me I'm afraid, even taking the minidolls out of the equation but, similar to you, my daughters love the one or two sets that they have from the theme so far.
    Dontcopythatfloppy