The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Missing an old Lego Box and inner cardboard trays

jsadighijsadighi Los Angeles, CAMember Posts: 2
Hey there!

I was wondering if anyone could help me.  I have a large collection of old Lego Pirate sets from the late 1980s and 1990s that I kept from my childhood.  I've kept every box for each set and some of the sets even still have the plastic inner trays and original plastic bags the pieces came in.

However, I'm missing a few things:
1) The box for set # 6276 Eldorado Fortress
2) The cardboard inner tray for set # 6268 Renegade Runner
3) The cardboard inner tray for set # 6263 Imperial Outpost
4) The cardboard inner tray for set # 6267 Lagoon Lockup

I've seen a couple of boxes for Eldorado Fortress for sale on Bricklink, however the prices are set at $100.  I'm not going to pay that much for a box (total rip off IHMO).  I've seen boxes on ebay though they only get offered sporadically, and even then you can lose out to a competing bid.

The cardboard inner trays are far more difficult find.  I haven't encountered any websites that offer those for sale.  I've thought about recreating them from cardboard but the colors obviously won't be the same.  Has anyone managed to recreate or buys these anywhere?

Thank you for time and help!

Comments

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    Inner boxes are hard to find. I'm missing the two smallest inner boxes (there's 4) from my #6399 . I know that @Istokg had a large box collection, though I have a feeling it was all 60's stuff...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,749
    If you kept evety box; why do you need the box to Eldorado Fortress? Just kidding ;) The inner boxes and trays are extremely hard to find; most people threw away the boxes. I would imagine thst if people had the box with all the trays and inner boxes, they would want to keep that all togther, so your best bet is to buy the complete box from someone, then try to sell your box and/or trays. 
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRASprinkleOtterkiki180703
    It seems like a lot of work, but I do this when I try to complete/restore my old G.I. Joe sets. I will buy a lot thst has most of the parts I need, take what I need, then sell what is left.
    SprinkleOtter
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 958
    ^THIS EXACTLY.
    The availability of packaging of this vintage isn't driven by a supply/demand market (simply because there's so little supply!).  The fact that you've already indicated that you believe the asking price to be a "total ripoff" leads me to believe you may end up being consistently disappointed! Another option I guess could be to purchase a complete set in its original packaging and then sell the spare complete set. Note - I've done ZERO research on the sets in question so can't comment if this is truly viable.  Sometimes though it can pay to 'think outside the box', if you'll pardon the horrible pun!
    ^Oh, I love puns...um...and memes; if you hadn't noticed. "Punny" Memes are the best!! Funny Mimes?...not so much :)
    SprinkleOttergmonkey76MAGNINOMINISUMBRAstlux
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 958
    ^i don't mind the occasional cunning stunt...
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,068
    When people throw away their boxes because of space considerations, I can understand that.  However, that drives up the price on the secondary market because so few have saved their boxes/inserts... especially older items.   Unfortunately I don't have any of the boxes/inserts that are needed here.
  • jsadighijsadighi Los Angeles, CAMember Posts: 2
    Thanks for checking Istokg.

I wonder if there's a way to make inserts for those boxes out of cardboard.  Anyone aware of a tutorial?