Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Block Feature

DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
Why is there still no block feature on Brickset? 

I don't have any problems with most posters, but there are a few that will relentlessly post passive aggressive comments on nearly EVERYTHING I say.  It's as if I can't express my own opinion without immediately being barraged by a bunch of fools.  Of course, they only do this to escalate things so they can manipulate my words and then accuse me of some BS.  It's ridiculous.  Bricksetters have been asking for this feature since at least 5 years ago I can remember.

It can't be the coding.  It can't be hard to block posts from people put on blocklists.  My question to the mods is are you attempting to silence anyone that has anything critical about Lego or do you want to instigate a combative atmosphere because it can really be only one of those two.  I've been here for nearly six years and have severely reduced my participation here because there seems to be this narrative that only positive things can be said about any Lego set ever made.  That's not progress. 

I'm pissed.  If you don't want to respond to this directly, just msg me.

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,465
    edited August 2016
    Yeah it would be great to have some sort of filter to prevent angry/rude/nasty things being said about other people we don't agree with. Maybe like some sort of something between brain and mouth or in this case, brain and keyboard?

As to your second point about only positive things being said about Lego: This is a Lego fan community. Bias is going to be strong to the positive by default. That said, there is no shortage of complaints about sets like Assault on Hoth or the tricycle they put Spiderman on.

It sounds like you are asking for an echo chamber to your views but also complaining that Brickset doesn't have diverse opinions.
    dougtscatwranglerkiki180703stlux
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    The alternative solution seems to have been implemented here.
    dougtsSumoLegoBricklover18kiki180703stlux
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    edited August 2016
    Yes... the solution should prevent the need for a blocking feature.

Negative opinions are fine but constantly arguing with, attacking and provoking others is not.
    ShibcatwranglerBricklover18kiki180703snowhitie
    I used to want something similar but they don't really work anyway. If someone else quotes a post then you get to see what you have blocked anyway.

It would still be good to have a ignore whole thread option though.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,333
    The sub-title for this thread should be "Unintended Irony and Instant Karma: Attacks!"
    GremerBricklover18Pitfall69kiki180703gmonkey76stlux
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 517
    So just to be clear we aren't getting a block feature even for those other "blocks" of the *ahem* so called "mega" variety? :)

I actually only saw this thread by chance today as I thought "Oh look there's someone possibly with the same first name as me" And then I happened to read some their comments and thought "Well I can count myself lucky this is the first time I've heard of this person or seen their rants".

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    So just to be clear we aren't getting a block feature...[SNIP]

Nope.

:-)
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Wait, a block feature? People getting banned? ^heavy handed moderation of quotes comments? Is this eurobricks?
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    @MattsWhat I think we can all agree that his ban was more than justified.
    MattsWhatkiki180703catwrangler
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Does this mean he'll now go to Eurobricks and petition for a block feature?
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Does this mean he'll now go to Eurobricks and petition for a block feature?
    As I understand it, Eurobricks does have a block feature - try petitioning for one and you'll see how it works!
    Bumblepantskiki180703stlux
  • norival1992norival1992 JapanMember Posts: 11
    Immediately knowing exactly what a variable should be named is a satisfaction par with getting an 'I' block in Tetris when everything except one column is completely solid.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,465
    Immediately knowing exactly what a variable should be named is a satisfaction par with getting an 'I' block in Tetris when everything except one column is completely solid.
    Are you a human that enjoys Lego? I have doubts.
    LostInTranslationkiki180703
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,942
    Blocking someone on a forum is stupid. You'll end up seeing contextless posts from other people and have no idea what they're going on about.

The best type of blocker is the one who feels the need to announce that they have blocked someone. The only purpose is to rile, and I wonder how these intolerant people cope in real life.
    I think it depends on the type of posts. I have about half a dozen posters blocked on the BL forum. These are people that start new sales threads near enough every day, sometimes multiple times a day, when their sales prices are not great anyway. Being able to block them is a very useful filter.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 804
    Blocking someone on a forum is stupid. You'll end up seeing contextless posts from other people and have no idea what they're going on about.
    I think for some people, it's a coping mechanism-- IE, they don't have the self-control necessary to keep calm and ignore certain people, and they know it's a problem for them.  But if they can block people, then it helps them deal with it.  I wish those people could do that job internally without the help of a mechanism, but it does make sense for certain people.

Personally, I'd prefer an "auto-collapse" feature.  That way you could hide what certain people say by default, but if you ever want to look at a particular context-less post, you can just expand it manually without having to unblock them and re-block them.

DaveE
    catwrangler
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,942
    I suppose it would be trivial to implement blocking on the client side if you're familiar with things like Greasemonkey. Should be straightforward to automatically collapse posts from people you don't care about, or hide them completely, or change their avatar into an aubergine (eggplant) emoji, etc.