Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

71040 Cinderella's Castle

Comments

• 12651265 Member Posts: 954
    Watching the video - starting at 1:13 - as the camera is moving up showing the shape, I see no differences in the glare from the lighting on the surface on the brick even while transitioning through the printed piece.  Looks printed to me.
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 942
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2016
    nhyone said:
    If they are stickers, why are no sticker edges visible?
    Maybe the stickers follow the shape of the bricks? They don't have to be regular shaped.
    Very possible.  I'm now subscribing to this theory.  This is certainly the cheapest option, and as Ole used to say, "Only the most cost effective is good enough!"  er...wait.
    bobabricks
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    i can tell this debate will last for a long time.

i am going with print.
    but we will have to wait for the reviews to find out.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited July 2016
    Definitely stickers.  They would have highlighted printed pieces during the video.  They love to do that.  Now if this were a Megabloks set you can bet that everything would be printed much like the recent Star Trek sets.  

Overall not a bad set, but the color scheme looks a little off in Lego form.  Nice to see a Lego castle in this size.  The designer video was surprisingly bad however.  
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    I'm still wondering why it's partly tan, when the real castle isn't
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    ^You can't help but get a tan in Florida in the middle of summer. 

I really do do hope these are printed, but I would not be surprised if they were stickers. This would be the first instance of the Magic Sticker Theory were stickered pieces look like printed parts in photos. 
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    I'll leave this here...

71040 Disney Castle
    bobabrickscatwranglerPitfall69TheMaker37
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    omg.

this thing looks huuuuuuge!
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited July 2016
    @TheLoneTensor (and everyone else)
    Look at the long slope parts either side of the entrance - both have the same print/sticker but the one left of the door is very close to the studs, the one right of the door is slightly higher (further from the studs).  There is no way these are printed.
    Maybe they are clear stickers?  Should be fun to get on if they are.
    Or maybe the stickers are shaped (so the edge is lost in the design).
    It wouldn't be suprising if these stickers are different to normal - you get a lot of them, they are big and there is only two designs.  They could even be water slide finally.
    looking at the texture lets me also think its stickers now. there is only 2 textures placed variably around the whole castle.
    maybe the stickers edge is on the black edge of the rock-texture? it looks like its standing out a bit (thickness of the sticker! )
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited July 2016

I can't work out how this is done.  That is a a piece (or two) with studs on 5 sides (or 4 sides next to each other).  Is it new snot?
    Maybe one of these with studs on the ends as well?

Or am I just being really dim this morning?
    maybe there is a new brick
    brick, modified with studs on 3 sides 
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    edited July 2016
    Jern92 said:
    I'm still wondering why it's partly tan, when the real castle isn't

The actual Castle in Orlando isn't completely grey, the portion that's tan on this model is actually a tan/grey/peach/pink in real life.  It's a bit hard to tell, but there is a difference.  It's not this tan as the Lego model depicts, but it isn't too ridiculous.  I suspect they wanted to make that distinction, but with the current colors available in Lego that's what they went with.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ here's a picture of the castle without colored lighting.  You can see that A) the tower has a different color/tone to it then the walls, and B) LEGO tan is probably the best choice from existing colors:

http://www.comicbookbrain.com/_imagery/2012-03-11/walt-disney-world-castle-fireworks-2.jpg

LostInTranslationpharmjod
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    I am still not liking the tan. I am almost thinking two shades of grey would have worked better for me. 
    Jern92
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    thanks for that Amazon purchase link!  ;-)

I guess dark grey wall, light grey tower could have worked also. I can see the merits of both approaches honestly - I don't think it's clearly better either way.

best choice from 2016 color palette would probably be light nougat, but that's mostly just used for skin coloring, so likely a big stretch, and not sure it's better than tan. less color, which is good, but probably too pink.

• Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    I desperately need this. Bye Bye another ~300,-
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,091
    tamamahm said:
    I am still not liking the tan. I am almost thinking two shades of grey would have worked better for me. 
    How many shades of gray?  Let's keep in clean, people!
    tallblocktookiki180703tamamahmmustang69AdeelZubairricecakegmonkey76
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    Ha! That was quite funny.
    ^ I couldn't find a clever meme, and @Pitfall69 is busy huffing unicorns.  I'm sure a clever meme will make its way at some point!
    davetheoxygenmantamamahmkiki180703
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 264
    I can't stop drooling over the large pictures on Brickset. 74 cm, that's about the height of a regular table or desk. Imagine that on top of your table while you are building it. This would mean that you have to stand up during the last phase of the build. Stand up for Lego!
    catwrangler
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    nhyone said:
    If they are stickers, why are no sticker edges visible?
    Maybe the stickers follow the shape of the bricks? They don't have to be regular shaped.
    If that's correct (most likely is), those are gonna be pretty damn hard to apply straight.
  • SamJSamJ West Yorkshire, UK Member Posts: 118
    Looks maleifcent! I didn't realise it was so big until I saw the designer video. I'd really struggle to have somewhere to display that beauty! what a beast. 
    ;) 
    dougtskiki180703
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,874

Side note: They didn't address the archery area inspiration, nor identify what the little printed round things are when they were talking about the printed pieces.  Poo.
    If I heard right, the guy from Disney Consumer Products mentioned Pixar as one of the groups they had to collaborate with in making this set, which probably more or less confirms it being based on Brave. I don't think any of the other elements of the set that we've seen reference Pixar properties…
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 724
    Brickshow has an un-boxing video of the castle. The stone blocks are indeed stickers.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,130
    I'm assuming that the stickers are printed on transparent vinyl (due to the background on the sticker sheet). They are going to be a pain to fit in the right position on such large pieces and are an ocd nightmare to fit without getting dust,fingerprints etc on them.
    mustang69mr.piggles
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,338
    Looks like mirrored vinyl to me, which explains the lack of visible edges, the stickers are cut to shape
    bandit778kiki180703MynattTheLoneTensor
    @Shib
    Didn't think of mirrored vinyl (not come across it before).
    Still going to be a pain in the butt to fit in the right spot due to no real flat edge to line up.
    mustang69
    ^ We are talking about Disney, where no brick is literally out-of-place...
    dannyrwwkiki180703stluxbandit778mustang69pharmjodricecake
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 476
    Thanks for posting the sticker sheet @Adzbadboy

I was really hoping the bricks were printed but not really expecting it. As @bandit778 said, they are going to be a pain to line up. I may just skip putting them on altogether as long as it doesnt look terrible that way.
    bandit778
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 783
    Anyone got info on those coat of arms?
    I'm trying to decide if I want to get this day one or if I should wait until October when they have the double VIP points. I'd hate to miss out on it (would it really actually sell out?) but 700 VIP points for just this set alone is hard to pass up.
    DeeC2_Josh
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 590
    mustang69 said:
    I'm trying to decide if I want to get this day one or if I should wait until October when they have the double VIP points. I'd hate to miss out on it (would it really actually sell out?) but 700 VIP points for just this set alone is hard to pass up.
    I would say that waiting is in your best interest. Worst come to worst it would be back ordered.

Patience pays off, literally.
    dougtsmustang69kiki180703catwranglerDeeC2_Josh
  • LegogramLegogram PA USAMember Posts: 319
    For applying stickers, I have had good results when I use scrapbooking tweezers (at least that is what I call them...not sure if that is the correct name).  I can take my time lining everything up, and no fingerprints.  For larger stickers, I just use something to help hold the lego piece in place on a flat surface, and then I can use a pair of tweezers in each hand.  They have tiny points and they are made to not stick to stickers...lol :)
    mustang69kiki180703
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    Feel free to correct me, but I don't know if any set has sold out that quickly; they've been out of stock temporarily for 30 days or so, but never sold out to the point it wasn't available.  So waiting might be best, even though I too want this day one.
    mustang69DeeC2_Josh
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    The only one that comes to mind was the LE Crawler, but that was a very special situation.

The only risk I see in not getting the castle early is that you might not get it in time for Xmas, and I see that risk as being low also.
    mustang69kiki180703
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    Still not sure I really want it :) Looks too monotonous from the outside and the huge quantity of really large bricks used looks scary.
    Thanks for the input. It's really just the I-want-it-now side of my brain wrestling with the $35-worth-of-VIP-points-is-hard-to-pass-up side. The latter is definitely going to win, especially considering I'll probably be getting the new winter train at the same time. So it'll be closer to $45 worth of points. Which will probably be applied to the next modular come the new year.
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 724
    I have a feeling the castle is going to around for years. They are going to milk that sucker for all it is worth.
    SumoLegoJooTogkiki180703catwranglerdougtsBrickDancerbrumeybrickupdatelegomental
  • MooreFXMooreFX CaliforniaMember Posts: 77
    flord said:
    I have a feeling the castle is going to around for years. They are going to milk that sucker for all it is worth.
    That is good to know. My hubby works for Disney and there has been a lot of talk about this set from people who do not collect Lego, but collect Disney.  Since we do both, we are super excited and will be ordering it on day one.  Is that tomorrow for VIPs? Actually, I will be waiting up until midnight to order one as soon as possible :)
    LostInTranslationkiki180703
    ^ It'll be an UCS by that time as well!
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    MooreFX said:

Actually, I will be waiting up until midnight to order one as soon as possible :)
    Man... I miss that kind of excitement.  When you're so amped for a new set that you just HAVE to order it the very second it becomes available. I haven't felt like that since the Haunted House was released.  If I remember correctly, I ordered that sucker at 12:01 on the dot.
    MooreFXDeeC2_Josh
    SumoLego said:
    If that's the case, it will be 3 individual castle towers, the front door, a feeding station for Pluto and a speeder bike.
    stluxBumblepantsA.Brickovsky
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 942
    Stopped by the local LEGO store and they were building the castle to have it on display tomorrow.

I was going to ask if I could watch them apply the stone blocks stickers... but they are too nice so I didn't ;-)

Only got to see the top towers; looked good.
    LEGO_Dad77MooreFX
    bandit778 said:
    SumoLego said:
    If that's the case, it will be 3 individual castle towers, the front door, a feeding station for Pluto and a speeder bike.
    Don't forget the wompa! And parts from the Toy Story 3 sets.
    bandit778kiki180703
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 783
    edited August 2016

I actually asked a LEGO Store manager if I could help them build the display sets and she said to drop by any time. I haven't tested it out but her reply seemed genuine lolz
    catwranglerherbyderbyLEGO_Dad77