Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Shipping Expensive Sets *warning*

2»

Comments

• Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 722
    I agree with @pharmjod there will be a third party candidate, that will hopefully be better than the other two candidates.  
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643

So I say that if people do not truely believe in either candidate, then go to the polls and write no confidence, undecided, or write in themselves because voting for one because they are not the other is not really an informed decision IMO.
    Where were you when we needed you on June 23rd?  Where?!?
    snowhitieTechnicNickbobabricks
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,161
    Gary Johnson!

Okay, that maxes out my amount of political discussion for the day.
    pharmjodSumoLego
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I agree with @pharmjod there will be a third party candidate, that will hopefully be better than the other two candidates.  
    Arguably any third party candidate will be better than the two main ones.
    Bricklover18Bumblepants
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,326
    Reminds me of a cut box on the shelves at WalMart, service desk worker suggested someone had cut too deep when opening the case.
    I declare honest values to avoid big trouble for tax fraud and such, though I'll put the item cost rather than grand total with S&H.
    Include an invoice, don't make the package too hard to open - good points.
    I'm afraid that a bold announcement of value will make it more of a theft target.

Back off topic:
    I would've rather had Bernie, but Hillary is an average slimy politician rather than an incompetent bigoted egomaniac like Donald. The email thing seems like a theoretical rather than actual problem, sloppy instead of malicious (though I'm not sure how much to worry about that).
    Gary Johnson is the Libertarian, there are some things I like and some I dislike about that ideology in general. Jill Stein, the Green, is the main option on the left. Some of her stuff is too far left for my taste, but I could tolerate either one of them. The third parties just can't win, though.
    If no candidate gets a majority of the electoral vote, the House picks from the top 3 (12th Amendment). As a consequence of the 20th Amendment, this is done by the newly elected Representatives. The chamber is very likely to remain in Republican control, so Johnson has a slim chance this way and Stein even slimmer.
    SprinkleOtter
  • ChrisJThunderChrisJThunder United StatesMember Posts: 115
    Weren't we talking about shipping boxes? :P
    RomanticWarrior
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 700
    @KingAlanl, the third parties would have a chance if the American people would realize that that have many more potential choices than just the Democrat and Republican parties.  Those two groups are just so big and all-consuming, though, that it's tough to see the choices out there for all the noise that gets created around the Dems and GOP.  The media doesn't help matters, either; the CNN town hall for the Libertarians a couple of weeks ago was a refreshing change in this regard, but I don't see too many repeats of that performance...

I agree with a statement I read months ago, that the smaller parties might be better served trying to get a voting block into Congress over a period of time than to try and take on the presidency every four years.  Over a generation, a well-supported 3rd party might have enough influence to force a coalition for House and Senate majority, and this would set the stage for greater influence in future presidential campaigns.  Still, it's pretty tough to crack the nut of the two big parties...but maybe it's time to try it!

Back on topic:  yet another reason why I'll probably never try to sell these expensive sets overseas.  My apologies to any future non-USA buyers of my stuff...
    KingAlanI
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    ^As in TVTropes, "shipping" now means something completely different.  Speaking of shipping I got Big Ben with bonus the other day from LEGO.com and everything was perfect.  Speaking of Big Ben, it is the most tedious set I have built and that includes Taj Mahal and Tower Bridge (which others warned me were boring, but didn't bore me.) Big Ben is a great looking display and has a small footprint.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,713
    pharmjod said:
    There will be a third party candidate. It's not like those two are the only option.

pharmjod said:
    Arguably any third party candidate will be better than the two main ones.
    People need to be careful what they wish for, as that is how Trump has gotten as far as he has.
    From what I have heard so far, the 'third party' guy makes the other two look like geniuses.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    What about the box?  I wanna hear about the box.  Any update on the box?
    Furrysauruschuckp
  • DonDon San DiegoMember Posts: 63
    Oh well, so much for Lego forums as the last refuge from the depressing political situation in this country. Sigh.
    Brick_ObsessionSumoLegokiki180703SirBenBumblepantsklatu00377ncaachampsbandit778
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Gary Johnson is no fool. He's not perfect, but better than the other two.
    SumoLegokiki180703SithLord196
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,197
    ^ And completely unelectable.
    77ncaachamps
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    edited July 2016
    Don said:
    Oh well, so much for Lego forums as the last refuge from the depressing political situation in this country. Sigh.
    It could be sneakily therapeutic.

You see a politician on TV. You think back to this forum but misremember and cross the threads. The politician's on TV, but all you can see is @Pitfall69's Rule 34 unicorn. The  politician sniffs and you dissolve into hysterical laughter. It won't matter what he says.

Mark Twain said "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." What influence do you think Trump would have with a candy-stripe horn, ribbons and bows, and his butt hanging out? You'll never see him in the same way again!
    Pitfall69SumoLegokiki180703stluxbandit778
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,197
    (Depends on what he smells like.)
    MattsWhat
  • ChrisJThunderChrisJThunder United StatesMember Posts: 115
    Hey hey hey, how about those Lego boxes? :D

#GiantMeteor2016
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Regarding the OP - I wonder if the set is still 100% intact?  Thinking rigging pieces and printed dishes...Many, many moons ago (last century) I sent numerous Mithril Middle Earth miniatures to Canada. The buyer (who regularly sold stuff to, most of which was worth considerably more than the minis included in the order, received the package (opened and inspected by 'customs') only to find that several of the more valuable minis were missing....
    Regarding the derailment - it's cute to see so many people get worked up about the illusion of choice! (And to the guy who had former Top Secret clearance - I can understand your frustration about being asked to vote for someone who's committed a crime that would have you and I breaking rocks in the hot sun for a VERY long time should we have done the same!)
    pharmjod
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    What if he sent this with a friend going overseas.
    would there be other custom issues he would need to address/worry about?
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    What if he sent this with a friend going overseas.
    Potentially, they might still want to make the same level of examination, although probably not. The difference is that the friend would be there to do the actual opening in a more acceptable fashion and also to provide a degree of authenticity.