Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Possible ebay Scam

1x11x1 Member Posts: 132

Has this happened to anyone else? I sell on ebay and someone asked me about buying a set privately. He then paid via bank transfer and not through paypal or by Credit Card. I sent the set by UPS. He emailed me to say that the set had arrived and that his mum had signed for it, but then he had discovered that the Lego set had been taken out and the outer cardboard box had been taped up before delivering to him. UPS have now compensated me for three quarters of the set price after a lot of back and forth which I am going to pay to him. Really I could have refused to do anything as he signed for the package and their is no proof it was stolen.  Also as he paid by bank transfer so he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. 

Just wondering if this buyer has a side-line buying Lego sets and then getting most of his money back?

Comments

• LeglessLegoLegolasLeglessLegoLegolas TilahohoMember Posts: 8
    You sent the set, he received it. End of the discussion.
    Did he take a video while he was openning the box ? Probably not.
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Did you get pictures of the box?
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,990
    The fact he isn't questioning whether you sent an empty box means he knows you didn't.
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 583
    You are getting scammed. He definitely received it, he is now trying to get his money back. That's why there are so many warnings on ebay/paypal about this exact topic. Don't send him your money. You may consider reporting him to UPS because he is conducting mail fraud. The onus is on him to prove his claims.
    natro220madforLEGOSprinkleOtterkiki180703BuriedinBricksMattDawsonGoldchains
  • kizkizkizkiz londonMember Posts: 95

Odd way to carry out this scam. He would have won automatically if he had gone through ebay/paypal.

He actually removed all his own protection by paying bank transfer, as you rightly mention. I would be inclined to believe him

• Lego_FoxLego_Fox United StatesMember Posts: 12
    eggshen said:
    You are getting scammed. He definitely received it, he is now trying to get his money back. That's why there are so many warnings on ebay/paypal about this exact topic. Don't send him your money. You may consider reporting him to UPS because he is conducting mail fraud. The onus is on him to prove his claims.

Sad people are willing to risk that over the price of a LEGO set...
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 406
    edited July 2016
    Oops, wrong thread!