Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

"Sketch" set

zackeschzackesch WisconsinMember Posts: 14
Out of curiosity, do any of my fellow AFOL's keep a specific chunk of Lego off to the side to be used as sketch models?

In terms of my element collection, its still quite small by other Afol's collections, and a number of months ago I purchased the Architect Studio set. Along with the elements that came in the kit, I threw in all my white and clear pieces that I currently own in with it, housed in a Swoop bag. Because My element count will be growing, I would want to purchace my pieces with a goal in mind instead randomly acquiring elements just for the sake of it. So, essentially my white elements with the Studio kit has become a "sketch" kit so I can play with ideas, concepts, techniques etc without the distraction of color and really hone in on the details and form. 

Now that the wife and I recently purchased a home, and with the wifes support, the lego collection will grow with a dedicated storage and building area in the basement/ wreckroom in process/ mancave or nerdcave if you prefer.  
catwrangler

Comments

• henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 230
    I am very biased (having written the book "The LEGO Architect" which was inspired in part by the Architecture Studio set), but I wholeheartedly agree with keeping the most common elements near your primary building area.  I do not have a dedicated LEGO room - just one and a half walls of the guest room.  (More would be great, but this works.)

In my case, I use 4 Akro-mils cabinets.  For the longest time, I had kept the white brick separate for sketching.  I have since decided that is easiest to combine all of my elements independent of color, for everything except the most common brick and plate.  This seems like a good balance - I can explore the primary massing of a new design using white brick and plate, and use whichever color I want for the finer details.  (It's easy for me to ignore mismatched colors when sketching.)

Most importantly, do what works best for you - whatever unblocks your creativity so you can  build without thinking too much about searching for the right part or the right color.

Good luck!
    ---tom
    catwranglerMorkMan