What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    klatu003 said:
    Thank you for sharing @mldj77. Now I don't feel so bad that my Lego city just took over the guest room. The tables went right over the bed and we rarely have guests. So, now Lego has taken over three rooms in the house. The library, which became the Lego room, is now dedicated to Middle Earth and other fantasy realms. Mr. Klatu is a gem! Since we bought him a fancy new car, he has gone from benign observance of my Lego purchases to downright encouragement.
    If I was ever a visitor, I would certainly have no problem sleeping on a Lego table. That way I could impress my friends by telling them I stayed at the "Grand Emporium."
    TheLoneTensorklatu003EKSamsid3windr
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited March 2015
    You'll tell them you stayed at a department store?  That would be impressive :)
  • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    Yes the Lego have taken over my house. I halfway wish I didn't have a garage which takes up half of the basement. I've managed to turn a 3 bedroom home into a 1 bedroom! If I had guest, I guess I'd be sleeping downstairs on the couch with the dog. He's not allowed upstairs anymore, thank you baby gate. I fantasize about having some big warehouse or loft, oh the city I could build then! Open space gets me all giddy with imagination. Lego has been a love affair for almost 30 years now, minus a dark age or two.
  • RubberbandManRubberbandMan Member Posts: 48
    My wonderful amazing girlfriend who I bought a condo with gave me the whole spare bedroom to display my collection :)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    You'll tell them you stayed at a department store?  That would be impressive :)
    Better than the Town Hall...at least that's what everyone on the Thread that Shall Not Be Named keep saying...
    legomental
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,757
    Another Expedit fan here. We just finished converting the room above our garage into a LEGO/craft room. My wife's craft area is behind the photographer in these pics. Of course, the only reason this room looks so clean is because our 5 year old has been with Grandma for 3 days... For loose bricks, we use ziplock food storage containers. The 76 ounce size fits the Expedit shelves perfectly and can be found quite cheap. They will stack 4 high and 2 deep in a cube. We lit the top row with some inexpensive LED strips and plugged them into a switched outlet. The bottom row of baskets contain our son's toys (until they're all dumped out on the floor). Aside from the shelving, we've got a MOC table for me, town layout for our son to play with and he usually claims the NILO coffee table as well.
    I think this is my favourite Lego room because it's got the best combination of practicality (nice mix of building/storage/display space) and cosiness - good to have the sofa and TV in there!
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    edited April 2015
    These are definitely not mine but I thought they are worth sharing:

Jeffrey Pelletier

Mark of Falworth

Room Makeover

Disco86

Lego Workspace

The LEGO Movie

Bruce in The LEGO Movie Experience at LEGOLAND California

JANGBRICKS

Enjoy!
    rdflegoGalactusMinifiguresPluscatwranglerjpsirois
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Not mine, but an inspiration.

http://houzz.com/ideabooks/47788227

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    I would love to see some of the set-ups for the large Bricklink sellers. Very curious how they organize 3M bricks.
    FollowsClosely
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,282

189 drawers! I have 10 lol.

FollowsCloselyAdzbadboy
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Just saw this

http://www.cnet.com/news/this-guy-has-the-most-insane-lego-collection-in-his-basement/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

First thing that came to mind...I have more pieces than he does, and I'm sure many people on here have WAY more pieces than he does. 
    Oldfan
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    ^If all the containers and draws are full of Lego im pretty sure he has way more than 250,000 pieces 
    GoldfreekFollowsCloselyAdzbadboyDaragh
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    ^Ha! Three people posted the same video :P
    Galactus
    natro220 said:
    Just saw this

http://www.cnet.com/news/this-guy-has-the-most-insane-lego-collection-in-his-basement/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

First thing that came to mind...I have more pieces than he does, and I'm sure many people on here have WAY more pieces than he does. 

lol, you guys have so many pieces? I must be close to 25000 pieces, and I think it's already quite a decent collection
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I have no idea how many pieces I have. My collection manager says I have 270,000 and almost 3,000 minifigures, but I have not inventoried my 6 tubs, so who knows?

I'm not going to invest in a display area until I know what Lego I have for sure.
    hkcrazy88LegoPegasister2015
  • edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
    I would really like to know where you buy those modular storage units with hundreds and hundreds of small compartments... I must have looked in a dozen different places and haven't found anything like that except prohibitively expensive smaller-scale units.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    Pitfall69 said:
    I have no idea how many pieces I have. My collection manager says I have 270,000 and almost 3,000 minifigures, but I have not inventoried my 6 tubs, so who knows?

I'm not going to invest in a display area until I know what Lego I have for sure.

Collection manager?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I would really like to know where you buy those modular storage units with hundreds and hundreds of small compartments... I must have looked in a dozen different places and haven't found anything like that except prohibitively expensive smaller-scale units.
    Hardware stores and home centers.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    prevere said:
    Collection manager? 
    Brickset, perhaps?
    Pitfall69Galactushkcrazy88

I was lucky to find one with 10 drawers for 20 bucks at the mall. others I've seen were like 3 drawers for the same price.

otherwise, those very small containers used to contain stuff like screws or nails may work for little pieces.

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited May 2015
    @edgarallanpoe1422 I'm guessing your in Australia? I got myself some Stackon's from Amazon.com a while back but last time I checked they weren't on sale or only third party sellers had them. Anyway I paid about $27-$32 each shipped for a mix if 49 & 18 draw units, they also make a 60 drawer one. With the dollar as low as it is it would be more expensive now, even if you could get them at the same price ($15-$18).

Locally the best value draw units I have found are a 25 draw from Kmart. Now these are small draws and quality is a little worse than the Stackon's but at only $10 they are pretty good value.
    edited May 2015
    Here are the containers I used to organize my Lego parts:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-25-Removable-Compartment-Professional-Organizer/dp/B00005QWYF/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1430491662&sr=1-1&keywords=stanley+organizer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G1CUK0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EHY9RA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tend to purchase whichever organizer is cheapest at the time I need them. The nice thing is that they're stackable. The less convenient thing is that...well...that you have to unstack them to find pieces. But if you organize your parts, they work great.
    I liked stacked Sterile drawers (small, medium or large) in large columns.
    FollowsClosely
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324

I never had any luck with carry cases as I never have to transport my pieces. I use a system of small part bins as pictured. At present I only have 3 but I have room for more, plus they get cheaper than the example below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raaco-Cabinet-Organiser-30-Compartment/dp/B00HI6VHTW/ref=sr_1_36?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1430498793&sr=1-36&keywords=30+drawer+organiser
    ^I hope you didn't kragle those pieces to the drawer.
    natro220chuckp
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    @prevere Ha. No, I used Blu's tak. They didn't seem to mind.
  • JdslaterJdslater Member Posts: 59
    Love Disco68s setup. Would love a close up of that middle frame.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,861
    Looks like Hobbits in the top row. Maybe some Batman in the bottom row?
    edited May 2015
    ^I like your idea to display your key chains. I don't have a nearly as many as you do, but they would look nice in a display case. Here's what I'm thinking:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keychain-Display-Case-Wall-Cabinet-Shadow-Box-with-Glass-Door-KEY1B-/271382425058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f2fa72de2

Thanks for sharing...

SumoLego
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    ^^ That is a lot, too much for my taste. You must not have any kids near by :)
    edited May 2015
    ^Haha. Yeah, in my house that would last about oh say 10 minutes before I'm asked to find missing pieces. Spectacular display though!
    My collection seems small after looking at this thread XD. I do have a couple of storage bins and boxes lying around as well, but my appartment isn't full of them like some pictures I saw.
    catwrangler
    @Farmer_John - $79.99? That's nuts!

I've got a bunch of SW, Batman, Superhero, Harry Potter and SpongeBob keychains and haven't figured out a workable way to display them...
    SumoLego said:
    @Farmer_John - $79.99? That's nuts!
    Yeah...I could probably put something together myself, but would probably spend more than $80 in parts and labor to do something decent. The main reason I like this particular display case is that the dusting is minimal.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @Farmer_John what I used for my keychains was an antique quilt rack that my mom found in flea market. 
    @Fauch I love your collection especially the dragons. I collect those too. Even have a tribal dragon tattoo to go with collection lol

I don't collect dragons at the moment, bought them a long time ago. figured they would go well next to fright knights ^^

a tribal dragon?

Dusting is one of those unanticipated consequences. I'd much rather dust the case than the contents!
    Farmer_John
    ^Amen!
    FollowsClosely
    edited May 2015
    Fauch said:

I don't collect dragons at the moment, bought them a long time ago. figured they would go well next to fright knights ^^

a tribal dragon?

@Farmer_John 

Well I call it a tribal dragon. I found it on the sleeve on a shirt while I was in Iraq. Thought it would make a good tattoo as a present to myself for making it back mostly unscathed. 
    I do collect dragons too lol
    hkcrazy88
    Shifting discussion here...getting frustrated at finding space amongst my neatly organized parts to make room for what seems like a never-end siege of NEW PARTS. My parts are by BL category, and it's just frustrating to constantly shift them around to accommodate new entries.

I guess I need to start a new thread.

What Have You Done To Your Inventory To Accommodate Your Increasing LEGO Addiction?

catwrangler
    ^My sets are all stored in larger cardboard boxes, so my solution is to repack and hope that I can make things more efficient. From the parts standpoint, I focus and sort primarily on the part design, and mix the colors. That way I can consolidate the parts into fewer bins; searching a bin for a specific part color is not a big deal.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,757
    My partner has been working on renovating our attic every spare minute he gets lately, and I can actually foresee a time later this year when we'll be able to store the Lego up there and spread it out a bit! I mean, it's not intended as a Lego Room per se (we had in mind a painting studio for him, and some box storage, but it's certainly the natural place to work on a big project...
    Elunehkcrazy88
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,059
    Can't even tell you how much "stuff" I have thrown out, donated, given away, etc. all to make room for LEGO.  Of course, with a 4 month old they now reign supreme.
    EluneAndorMordoorhkcrazy88
  • EluneElune QuébecMember Posts: 99
    ^ I loooove the placement of your Tower Bridge! ^_^
    OldfanricecakeAdzbadboyjuggles7
    edited May 2015

I love how "your collection isn't nearly as large as most you see on here" and yet fills up whole walls :D

there is a nice variety also.

just noticed a massive spider. I hope it's shelob and not a real one

Elunehkcrazy88
    ^ That spider is the security system.
    LegoboyPitfall69Oldfanprevere