Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    ^What's a commercial one go for? That sounds like a good idea.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Prices can range really. I am looking at one that is around $1700.00 CDN and is sealing mounted. It all depends how big your area is and how well you want to it to preform.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8w_8_x1T1isA5SxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0aDBmdGZ2BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1NNRTQxOV8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-901&va=commercial+air+purifiers

prevere
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    edited March 2014
    Not a photo update, but this past week I sold my last (personal copy) #10179 to finance our home theater. For that one Lego set I can buy an entire 7.1 surround sound setup. Including speakers, receiver, projector and blue ray player.

Front C $97 Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker
    Front L $127 Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker (each)
    Front R $127
    Back L/R $140 Polk Audio RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair, White)
    Center L/R $140
    Sub $200 BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Subwoofer
    Wiring $27 Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-pair, By Sewell Direct
    Blue Ray $130 Samsung BD-F5900 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player
    Projector $900 BenQ W1070 1080P 3D Home Theater Projector
    $24 VideoSecu LCD/DLP Projector Vaulted Ceiling Mount Bracket
    Receiver $500 Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2-Channel Network Audio/Video Receiver

Amazon List

It's a great set, but the home theater will get a lot more use that that one set sitting in baggies.
    Farmer_JohnFurrysauruspharmjod
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

Prices can range really. I am looking at one that is around $1700.00 CDN and is sealing mounted. It all depends how big your area is and how well you want to it to preform.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8w_8_x1T1isA5SxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0aDBmdGZ2BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1NNRTQxOV8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-901&va=commercial+air+purifiers

Don't forget about noise. Put a commercial grade air purifier in a small room and it'll probably drive you nuts.
    FollowsClosely
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    ^ WHAT? PARDON? Did you say something? Years of an ex battle dragon yelling at me, I think my ears were cooked long time ago ;-)

Valid point though, will make sure to look into that.
    edited April 2014
    I passed the first inspection on Friday. Today the drywall is going up. Once the rock is up I can start constructing the built-ins for the Lego. It has been slow moving the past few weeks, but I am optimistic that the pace will pick up.

DanGPLegoboyDougoutFurrysaurusAdzbadboyLegobutterflykhmellymel
  • FrothyCoffeeManFrothyCoffeeMan Member Posts: 46

I passed the first inspection on Friday. Today the drywall is going up. Once the rock is up I can start constructing the built-ins for the Lego. It has been slow moving the past few weeks, but I am optimistic that the pace will pick up.

Is "Awesome!" omgwtff
    Jealous A suitable response?

Good luck!
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @FollowsClosely Is that space as massive as it looks? At 16' X 20' and 13' X 19' I thought we had a lot of space, but that seems much larger than our space! Can't wait to see pictures when it's done!
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Wow! That looks fantastic with the open design, which is lovely for downstairs. We used horizontal steel beams to avoid posts that break up the space.
    Can't wait to see the finished pics and your choice of colors. Will the floor be tile or carpet? Tile us much easier for seeing bricks on the floor and for keeping the dust down. But a low carpet like a Berber is easier on the feet and warmer. We went with tile to keep the dust down and asthma attacks away.
    How will you keep the sunlight out? Good luck with a first class project!

@FollowsClosely Is that space as massive as it looks? At 16' X 20' and 13' X 19' I thought we had a lot of space, but that seems much larger than our space! Can't wait to see pictures when it's done!

That picture is a panoramic and plays many tricks. It is not as spacious as that photo boasts. The ceilings are only 8' which also make it look larger in picture, but smaller in actuality. I'll eventually post the floor plan with measurements. the Lego area is all the way to the left in that picture. Lego is not going to take over our entire basement!
    legogal said:

Wow! That looks fantastic with the open design, which is lovely for downstairs. We used horizontal steel beams to avoid posts that break up the space.
    Can't wait to see the finished pics and your choice of colors. Will the floor be tile or carpet? Tile us much easier for seeing bricks on the floor and for keeping the dust down. But a low carpet like a Berber is easier on the feet and warmer. We went with tile to keep the dust down and asthma attacks away.
    How will you keep the sunlight out? Good luck with a first class project!

I very much like open floor plans as well, so much so I have even left our media room open on one side. I suspect I will add a wall there eventually because of light, see below.

We purchased this home, did not have it built, so I have the posts to deal with, and a stinking 8' ceiling! (RANT WARNING: If you ever build a house don't ever, ever skimp and compromise on the ceiling height. Spend the extra few K and do it right! go 9' or more.) The stairs also come down in the center, which break it up more than I would like.

We are going to have ceramic tile on a third and carpet on the rest. Using that picture as reference; the right side will be tile, the center, left and behind the camera will all be carpeted. The Lego area will be carpeted. We choose carpet as my kids free build on the floor and picking bulk lego up off from a hard surfaced floor is tedious.

We have only 2 windows and one french door to worry about, see the right side. When it comes to Lego the sunlight is of no concern to me as the lego area is on the far left of that photo, the windows face west, and I will be getting some high quality blinds as I need to eliminate the light when the media room is in use.

All our sorted brick will be stored in this space, where the table saw is located. I will be building floor to ceiling built-ins to hold all our sterilite drawers.

Adjacent to that will be our building area which will have a L shaped counter on the far left.
    Farmer_John
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    Very impressive FollowsClosely. Maybe Lord Business will take over your basement? Hmmmm.

Didn't see this mentioned before on Brickset, and from legogenre.com. Legoland California exhibit of "Finn's Basement" from the movie.

http://legogenre.com/category/star-wars-2/

FollowsClosely
  • dmg111dmg111 Member Posts: 40
    I have a 1 bedroom apartment. So... not much. :p
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    Just realized this AM that the closet for all my clothes is now for my shirts only as it is dominated by boxes and crates full of LEGO.

Now it gives me a reason to holler out every morning:

"Honey....WHERE ARE MY PAAAAANTS???"
    FollowsCloselybobabrickspharmjodKeiend
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    -_-
    aw that was stupid, there was a quote in there :/ anyway it was when Farmer_Hohn said "Legos" but whatever it kind of killed the moment
    wesman21
    @woony2 A lot of classic Star Wars sets for 6 year too, it's good that he has some good old fashioned 1999-2003 Star Wars sets rather than a room filled with Chima and Ninjago ;)
  • pastelnerdpastelnerd Member Posts: 34
    I live with 3 other adults in a duplex. My bedroom is the size of postage stamp and outside of that I have a third of a table to display my Lego.
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    @bobabricks‌ if I had taken the photos a week earlier there was a big ninjago dragon where the at-at is. He does have a wide spectrum of sets he likes and has access to most of my collection. The at-at shelf tends to get sets cycled round on it depending on which sets he / we fancy building.
    bobabricks
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 745
    I've now given over the half of my study that was supposed to house my model train to Lego. I hate it when you have to choose between two of your favourites...!
    @woony2 what I meant is that he doesn't JUST have new sets unlinke most 6 year olds, it's good for kids to have and see what sets were like before their time ;)
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    ^ Yep I realised that when I re read the posts. He loves my classic space and city sets and the fact that they had multiple build instructions or at least different photo ideas in the smaller sets.
    bobabricks
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    Looks like you are taking your time and doing it right. Cannot emphasize how important doing it right is. Most people will do it to "get it done". I recently renovated a property and it has taken nearly two months but its in spectacular shape and I have patience and a smart father in law to thank. :)
    FollowsClosely
    @littletoki,
    Very nice. I prefer a clean effecient space like you have. I actually prefer you look over rooms that have tons of sets on display.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    @FollowsClosely‌ - Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished deal.

@littletoki‌ - Your room is the nirvana of organization. The minifigs are perfectly spaced and I don't even see a fingerprint on the table. So you are either an engineer, an accountant, or a housekeeper. :-) Very nice!!!

By the way, did you order your minifig displays off of eBay?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2014
    ^Toki is the original minifig display master if you recall? All Lego shadowbox frames henceforth are descendants of those in her pictures. They are not bought from the bay, they are born gloriously.
    Legobutterflykekekecanon03cardgenius
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    @littletoki‌ Showoff!

Your room is absolutely gorgeous. It is nice and clean and very minimal, just the way I like interior design. I love the little 3D mosaics on the wall. I assume inspiration is from Chirs McVeigh?
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    edited May 2014
    @FollowsClosely - Thank you! I think a bit more display room would be nice because right now, I can only keep sets displayed for a few weeks or so before I have to take them apart to make room for other sets. I can't wait to see your finished room!!

@Farmer_John - I am none of the above. LOL. But thank you! The no fingerprints are mainly due to not having kids.

And as @Brickdancer mentioned (cheeky boy!), I made all my minifigure display cases. They're fairly quick and easy to make.

@LegobrandonCP - Yup, the 3D mosaics are Chris McVeigh's designs, as are the little computers, TV and Atari playstation on the desk. He's brilliant!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    @littletoki Did you post at one point about how you made them? If not can you give a quick run down on what shadow box is used and how you did your shelves etc? I'm thinking of going that route for the CMFs instead of my brick built shelves to help with dust.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    @graphite ~ here are the instructions. Post photos when you're done!

http://nubcakes.blogspot.com/2011/10/lego-minifigure-display-cases.html
    bluedragonFarmer_JohnLegoKip
  • soiramsoiram Member Posts: 5
    Awsome!
  • BELTRADBELTRAD Scotland, United KingdomMember Posts: 89
    While we talking about these display cases here, as anyone found any of these shadow boxes with front opening in the UK? I had a look and couldn't see any, have used an Ikea Ribba frame with a brick build frame inside and looks great but is a pain to change any figs, would prefer the front opening ones to just make life a bit easier.
    Toki,
    Lovely room design and photos!
    Most of us have that trade off issue of storage space versus working/display space in our LEGO areas. It literally is a balancing act in my case. What can be put on top of what until it all falls over. Rubbermaid 10 and 18 gallon Roughneck containers will only stack so high before collapsing under the weight of all the parts inside. So I tend to place lightweight Ikea shelves on the wall about two feet above that point for displaying lightweight builds.

I agree on the ceiling height info above. We put nine foot ceilings in bedrooms off our ten foot ceiling core containing the open living, dining, kitchen and breakfast areas. That one foot difference is significant in not feeling boxed in. Downstairs we built eight foot high ceilings, and things are much tighter. So we designed the rooms to be quite large to avoid feeling cramped. And on both floors there are several pairs of 54 inch wide windows (versus tall ones) too make it more open to our backyard gardens.

If you get to choose your windows, select horizontal ones to open up your view to outside. Even covered with closed vertical blinds, they make rooms feel less cramped. The height of the bottom of the windows was one of our most difficult construction issues. We ended up sitting in folding chairs during the wall framing process and lowered most windows to 33 inches above the floor AFTER the studs had been set higher. You don't want to do it that way! (Fortunately for us, Hubby built houses with his dad in an earlier life!)

You may end up spending much of your leisure time with Lego and other hobbies inside, and this wider window set up and a slightly higher ceiling can make your space feel less cramped. We understand that most folks don't design their own living spaces/homes, but this can help those who have a choice.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    legogal said:

It literally is a balancing act in my case. What can be put on top of what until it all falls over. Rubbermaid 10 and 18 gallon Roughneck containers will only stack so high before collapsing under the weight of all the parts inside.

Taking this a step further...how many Rubbermaid containers does it take to collapse the second floor down onto the first floor? I often wonder about this when I hear the house creak at night. I'm dreading the day when I have to sleep in a football helmet. Worse still, I'm dreading the day when I tell my wife she has to sleep in a football helmet too.
    @littletoki thanks for the coupon tip. They are actually having a buy one get one free on frames and there is a 25% off purchase coupon. Just picked up 2 of the 24x30 boxes for under $80. $99 each regularly. Going to do 7 or 8 rows across the 30 inch width to fit a CMF series on each shelf.
    littletoki
    So this shelving design that I just put together fits 8 shelves of 16 and is the perfect height (62 bricks) to slide snugly into the claimed 24" dimension of the shadow box with about 1 mm to spare in the 30" direction. Shelf is 93 studs wide which led to 1 stud CMF base spacing and a 1 2 3 2 1 width supports to make it symmetric. Each shelf is 2 plates thick with 7 bricks spacing. With the CMF stand in there this spacing was chosen to fit the shelf evenly and with shelf height able to fit Marge Simpson (tallest fig I think I have) with 1 plate spacing. She appears to be exactly 19 plates high.

kekeke
  • TheLegoKidTheLegoKid Member Posts: 16
    You might want some speakers. Just me personally I love to listen to music while I build. Maybe a small ceiling fan to help with the temp control. Also I like to use large plastic sheets to keep the dust out. They are cheap and work great.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    What have I done to my house to accommodate my LEGO addiction? Currently, having the garage insulated, sheet-rocked, adding shelving and enlarging window for more light. So simple, right? So like a good little homeowner I submitted the new window idea to the HOA Architecture Committee. Response. You need a county building permit before we will approve. Trip to the planning department with form filled out to make 3x3 a 5x3. Planning clerk "You need a drawing." "What are your set backs?" "What is the wind velocity of an unladen sparrow?"
    LegobutterflyJP3804
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 614
    @klatu003‌ - Answer back: "What do you mean, African or European swallow sparrow?" That'll show them!

This is but one of the many reasons why I'll never buy into a HOA if I have any choice in the matter.

While I'm hoping to be able to buy a new house with plenty of extra room for LEGO display and storage, my "plan B" would be to convert the existing detached 2-car garage into a two-story, 2x2 garage space. The front half would be for the cars and tools just like today, while the second story and back half would be finished for LEGO. Just a dream right now...
    FollowsCloselyklatu003

@FollowsClosely - Thank you! I think a bit more display room would be nice because right now, I can only keep sets displayed for a few weeks or so before I have to take them apart to make room for other sets. I can't wait to see your finished room!!

@Farmer_John - I am none of the above. LOL. But thank you! The no fingerprints are mainly due to not having kids.

And as @Brickdancer mentioned (cheeky boy!), I made all my minifigure display cases. They're fairly quick and easy to make.

@LegobrandonCP - Yup, the 3D mosaics are Chris McVeigh's designs, as are the little computers, TV and Atari playstation on the desk. He's brilliant!

Very impressive littletoki. I'd like to think if I didn't have gangs of neighborhood kids over all the time, I'd have my Lego rooms clean and tidy. But then I look at my car, and realize that will never happen.

(However, I did go Lord Business and yank my "modular town" from the playroom. But I'm considering re-introducing it.)
    FollowsClosely
    @prevere‌
    That is okay! I think we all "go Lord Business" when there are visiting brats, related or not related to our family. You are forgiven.

I definitely will "go Lady Business" with my grandchildren once they can chew on LEGO. They will get chewed on DUPLO for starters....there seems to be plenty of that in the BL shipments I have received over the years. It already is in the container labelled "chewed on!"

It is a shame to let children destroy pristine condition collectibles. Give them junk to play with, and they will be fine. As I post, my eye is on a very used American Girl Bitty Baby doll on eBay....even though the seller claims she is in good condition, her cut in half foot looks like she was attacked by a huge shark. Now that is the kind of toy you let children play with, eat, beat to crap, or whatever.

legogal said:

It literally is a balancing act in my case. What can be put on top of what until it all falls over. Rubbermaid 10 and 18 gallon Roughneck containers will only stack so high before collapsing under the weight of all the parts inside.

Taking this a step further...how many Rubbermaid containers does it take to collapse the second floor down onto the first floor? I often wonder about this when I hear the house creak at night. I'm dreading the day when I have to sleep in a football helmet. Worse still, I'm dreading the day when I tell my wife she has to sleep in a football helmet too.
    Farmer J,
    I have contemplated what it would take to make the upstairs floor collapse, and sleep calmly because Hubby and I designed our house, and he is an accomplished engineer most of the time. He has built a lot of things that have collapsed, but our city is pretty anal about the structural integrity of new buildings. And we paid extra to have huge steel beams lifted in place by a very expensive huge crane to keep the floors from collapsing.

So I hope I will not be able to give you a definitive answer to the question of how many stacked Rubbermaid Roughnecks will it take to make the floor collapse. Unless we have a monster earthquake much bigger than the last one, which caused part of the Washington Monument in DC to crack and undergo three years of repairs.

Oh, and our bedroom is on the main floor, above the downstairs floor and below the attic, which is not used for heavy, heavy item storage. So if our LEGO room floor did collapse, it would land on our grown kids or their kids, and not us. Uh oh!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    edited June 2014

Sub $200 BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Subwoofer

Great bang for the buck! I pushed two of these in my home theater for a while. Upgraded to 2x SVS PB12-NSDs earlier this year.
    FollowsClosely