Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    ^Oh yes. The room that used to be lined with books is now all Lego. [I like to read on Kindle anyway.] Most of the paper in the office has been scanned and shredded and replaced with Lego.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    edited November 2013
    I sold all my guitar and amp equipment, all my old video game stuff, and boxed up thousands of books, which we had to do anyway to "sell the house." We're still in the house, and most of the former book space is now occupied by Lego. And I never played the video games anyway, nor do I have any time to read now.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    @Legoboy
    Legoboy said:

Had a busy couple of weekends at home - two walls down....two walls to go!

[Note to oneself, "No excuse over the age of 8 to not build now"]

It looks nice, but the boxes take up so much space. Keep us updated over the next few years. I want to see this scale!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    @FollowsClosely - Well if you'd seen it a month ago, shelves were definitely the way to go. In fact, you can see it a month ago. Only God knows how my boxes escaped unscathed.

Vinyl arrived for the top shelf yesterday so will hopefully find time to fit that around my son's birthday events this weekend. Am hoping to clear the rest of the room of junk in a couple of weeks time so can get the desk back in there and get started on the Winter Sets. :-)

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,390
    edited November 2013
    Oh my good lord the disorganisation!
    edited November 2013
    Lol. Actually was extremely well organised other than running out of space and the empty boxes my wife decided to throw in there before her mates came round for lunch. This was the defining moment, the moment I decided enough was enough. :-)
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    ^^^Oh boy, does that ever look familiar.
    This is my Lego room (in my dreams)

littletokibobabricks52scoobydoo
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    ^Those Lego glass liquor bottles look so real.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    margot said:

A bar and a LEGO room together, perfection!
    edited November 2013
    @margot, I saw that on http://www.houzz.com the other day. The Lego side is very similar to what I have sketched out for our future "Lego bumpout". I like the flooring, looks like cork.
    margot
    edited November 2013
    ^Yes, I saw it on houzz as well. Love houzz.com! It's called the basement bar and Lego room.
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/6250080/Basement-Bar-and-LEGO-room-craftsman-basement-seattle
    Lego in the library
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/6250734/Main-Floor-craftsman-living-room-seattle
    ^ All those sets right by a window and exposed to direct sunlight makes me cringe. With that being said its a nice room.
    Looks like the screen comes down in front of the Lego storage. you see the projector in a later image. Guess you can't build while watching?
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    margot said:

My only problem with that is the teeny-tiny speakers. Gotta have way more audio!
    Vinyl's down. Well 'appy.

Did you custom make those shelves yourself?
    Vinyl looks good btw!
    edited November 2013
    Yep, he says with great big proud grin on his face. Brother popped round to cut down some of the longer bits of wood for me with his 'special' saw but yes, all made with timber from the mill.

Really enjoyed the project and am now keen to build something else. Trouble is, the timber cost sooooo much more than it ever would have buying off the shelf units ready to assemble. I refuse to tot up what the've cost to date.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    That is very nice @Legoboy. Looks like you spent a lot of time measuring and making nice cuts. The build is very smooth, I especially like the vinyl on the top. It's giving me ideas of making my own custom shelving whenever I get the place for it.
  • mooman66mooman66 Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2013
    So my wife has graciously agreed to designate one room of our basement to be our LEGO room. She even did the layout for the trains until a tragic play date. Given the collection is expanding rapidly thanks to other Bricksetters' awesome deals, I need some help for a strategy to create a real play space for the kids. I am impressed with so many designs I have seen, but the emphasis is on storage. In my case, the emphasis is on playing with as much stuff as possible, but still being able to put it away when company has to sleep on the futon.
    I have included some pictures of the space for your consideration. I have no idea why the pics are upside down. Thanks for your suggestions!image
    And one more pic.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2013
    I only started purchasing Lego around 5 months ago and when i set off on this adventure i stupidly didn't realise/think it through how much room i would need to accommodate it. Since i have two small wee ones i dont have a spare room, so mine stays in the shipping boxes it comes in hiding in the loft.

After xmas im going to be boarding and shelving it out similar to legoboys. this is what it looks like atm. prepare yourself

Almost forgot, this is the only closet in are house and gets whats in it?
    Good thing predator is in the closet to protect your valuables!
    FrictionPin
    lol, i did collect hot toys before the lego but thats been put on hold for a while
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,038
    I too am limited to one closet, inside at least. I have a shed but feel it is too cold for all my LEGO out there. Anyways, I find myself battling with the clothes I have just to spare room for "one more set". It's a lost cause really. All for the sake of having more! And being happy of course...
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    I know some of you "purist" collectors don't like to flatten boxes but it is amazing how much more space you get when you bag sets and flatten boxes. The stuff in @SuperTramp 's closet looks to be about one 51 quart Rubbermaid container and some flattened boxes. Could fit 5 times as much in that closet.
  • FrictionPinFrictionPin Member Posts: 144
    ^Boxes? Who keeps those!
    FollowsCloselybinaryeyeravendragonwing
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,038
    Its simple. If you plan on reselling or have the space, leave in the box. You can always take everything out later, but if you make a rash decision now you cannot unseal your decision.

If you are keeping it? For sure? Or simply want to be more efficient and free up some space? Take it out; flatten the box. Keep the bags elsewhere. Again, dont throw out the boxes, you always can later if you want too...
  • FrictionPinFrictionPin Member Posts: 144
    I have waited to post pics in this thread because my Lego remodeled area was messy. Then I realized that it's always going to be messy, so ignore the mess.

I built a 30' x 30' room with a 8'x 8' walk-in closet for all my stuff. Basically I live in this room according to my better half so I had to cram everything in the room with the purpose of "cleaning and organizing" it later. That was years ago.

And yes, I like to have a variety of chips to choose from as I sit on the couch doing.....well, whatever it is I do.
    sandtherapychuckpkorKiwiLegoMeisterAdzbadboy
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ^ Very nice! Classic space, fritos, baseball cards & comic books... it's like my house has been cloned.
    Farmer_JohnFrictionPin
    ^^ I have a similar situation. My wife lets me have one room to do whatever I want with. Anything I want to collect has to be contained to that space though. Over the years its held everything from vintage 80's toys to antique bottles, and always LEGO.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    mooman66 said:

So my wife has graciously agreed to designate one room of our basement to be our LEGO room. She even did the layout for the trains until a tragic play date. Given the collection is expanding rapidly thanks to other Bricksetters' awesome deals, I need some help for a strategy to create a real play space for the kids. I am impressed with so many designs I have seen, but the emphasis is on storage. In my case, the emphasis is on playing with as much stuff as possible, but still being able to put it away when company has to sleep on the futon.
    I have included some pictures of the space for your consideration. I have no idea why the pics are upside down. Thanks for your suggestions!image

Whoa...I never thought of storing sets on the ceiling! Brilliant!
    rocaoAdzbadboyMiniFigHunterravendragonwing
    ^nyuk nyuk nyuk.
    edited December 2013
    No word of a lie, when I first opened the thread showing the picture, Lionel Richie was singing on the radio. True Story.
    airways09chuckp
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ^ "Oh, what a feeling! When we're building LEGO on the ceiling!"
    klatu003
    Stupid iPad. Every time I turn the picture over, it goes right back to being upside down.
    MorkMan
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    I bought a bigger house! Got me a lego cave about 8m x 4m (my main lego room). My daughter has pretty well taken over our spare room (about 5 x 4M with her lego. Her main model fills two dining tables.
    korBrickDancermargotjasorDougout
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Kiwi, that is quite a fine Princess Castle! Love the Belville figs, garden and pool and so many other features. Looks like lots of fun. Congrats to you and your lucky daughter!
    KiwiLegoMeister
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    mooman66 said:

Stupid iPad. Every time I turn the picture over, it goes right back to being upside down.

Just kidding you a bit...

It does look like you have a lot of space in your room...and gotta love the train set.
    edited January 2014
    mooman66 said:

... In my case, the emphasis is on playing with as much stuff as possible, but still being able to put it away when company has to sleep on the futon.

I'd sell the drum set!

edited January 2014
    I have started framing our new Lego room. I hope to finish up this basement project by March.

It is a panoramic shot. The two large wall sections are parallel with one another.
    LegoboyFrictionPinkorMorkManTheLoneTensorFarmer_JohnLegobutterflyjonnythunder3483
  • FlymoFlymo Member Posts: 15

I have started framing our new Lego room. I hope to finish up this basement project by March.

It is a panoramic shot. The two large wall sections are parallel with one another.

How is the basement coming along?

I highly recommend using satin paint so the spittle is more easily removed after a heavy session of Lego "whooshing." ;-)
    ^^ There has been no change to the Lego area as I have been working on the electrical (including wiring for 7.1 in media room) and pluming. I hope to have the rock installed early March. At that point I can start to work on the built-ins for the Lego area.
    Pitfall69
  • FlymoFlymo Member Posts: 15

^^ There has been no change to the Lego area as I have been working on the electrical (including wiring for 7.1 in media room) and pluming. I hope to have the rock installed early March. At that point I can start to work on the built-ins for the Lego area.

I hope you will keep us posted in how it's coming along

• Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    @FollowsClosely I will be keeping close tabs on any updates you post. I will be starting up the second phase of mine this summer. Had to stop in order to mud and tape the rest of the basement. I only want to do that once before all sets are built. That dust is incredibly hard to get off of anything.

I am following suit with regards to a multi-media center in mine as well. I need to be able to watch sports and build. The wife is still trying to understand why the door only locks from the inside, ha!

I will post pictures in the future when I have more progress.
    chuckpLegoboyFarmer_JohnFollowsClosely
    ^I actually put a lock on mine from the inside as well, but the keys disappeared shortly after the room was opened for business. I'm still wondering whether one of my kids is playing the part of "Radar O' Reilly" and dealing in smuggled parts/sets with the others.
    edited March 2014

.... . The wife is still trying to understand why the door only locks from the inside, ha!.

Its either me or the Lego, she said ....
    I still have the Lego ....
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    ^ I am still hanging onto both right now ;-)

Have any of you added a Air Purifier to your Lego rooms to help minimize the dust. I am looking at aadding a commercial one because the dust drives me crazy. I just finished renovations 6 months ago, I have had the furnace cleaned out and there is still dust. It dust (see what I did there) never seems to go away.