What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349

More my backyard than house, but finishing up an 8x12 shed to accomodate my growing collection. Shingles go up tomorrow morning and will post a pic or two. Plan on building shelving around the entire upper inside rim to display built sets.

So you can run around saying you now have a shedload of LEGO?
    piratemania7
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Wow...!
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    That is completely amazing...

(Sorry, I need to clean off the drool from my jaw)
    sandtherapy
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    And I bet he had no need to join in the how do you store threads!
    khmellymelLegopassion8
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    edited October 2013
    Thought I'd give you something to laugh at.

Am in the process of shelving out my LEGO room - finally! The guys in the shop today questioned WTF I need 600mm wide strips of carpet for. Couldn't tell 'em.
    BrickDancerravendragonwing
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ I was informed of this fuzzy shelving at 1pm ish today. Despite picture evidence of it being cut I didn't believe it. When I was shown the install at 7pm I still didn't. Can we have a poll on if this is proof that @Legoboy is bonkers please?
    JenniLostInTranslationprincedraven
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
    ^^ I know many with fuzzy car dashboards, so I see nothing wrong with shelving.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited October 2013
    I'm just impressed that he has shelving (carpeted or otherwise)! All my sets are in large cardboard boxes stacked on the floor...
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    I like the fuzzy shelves. Nice job Legoboy
    "Fuzzy shelves are good. Fuzzy shelves help the sets to glide more easily".
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    Legoboy said:

"Fuzzy shelves are good. Fuzzy shelves help the sets to glide more easily".

I get that. Good for the boxes. But won't lint eventually become a problem?

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,449
    'Sets for sale, MISB. No scratches, but may include lint'
    chromedigijasor
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    edited October 2013
    I was assuming that the LEGO room would be used for more than just storing MISB sets. Presumably building will take place. Static electricity will occur...
    I plan on hoovering the shelves well to remove most of the loose pile and lint, but once the boxes are on them there won't be much moving around - only really to remove a set to build up.

Built sets will be placed on non-fluffy shelves. I'm sure in the early days there might be a bit of lint in the air but am expecting it settle down before long.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 222
    So I have a slight shelving Dilemma, presently as some of you may be aware my wall presently looks like this:
    imageimage" />

I have a pair of additional small shelves and I'm not quite sure where I should put them, in line with the lowest shelf, in line with the shelf holding the IS or in line with the upper two shelves. Suggestions?
    CapnRex101LegobutterflyDanGPMods79SupersympaCosworth3d
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    edited November 2013
    ^ If it were me I would pop one either side of the IS shelf, but of course that is just my opinion :)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,449
    I think it depends what you're planning on putting on them.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 222
    ^ One will house the R2 currently sharing the bottom shelf, the other will have the UCS general Grevious. I also have to consider the addition of future shelves.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    I would put them off to the sides of the Obi fighter and AT offset up about the same amount the Xwing and bwing shelves are down from the IS one. Then once those are up I'd move the Bwing to the obi spot (since the new shelf will be too low for Bwing where it is), move xwing to where bwing is now and move obi to where xwing is now. But that's just me =)
    Pdyx
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890

^ I was informed of this fuzzy shelving at 1pm ish today. Despite picture evidence of it being cut I didn't believe it. When I was shown the install at 7pm I still didn't. Can we have a poll on if this is proof that @Legoboy is bonkers please?

Hmmm I vote bonkers. Though I like the idea and if I were just a bit more bonkers, I might have done the same thing to my shelving... :)
    Legoboy
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    I had a shed built so I could move out of the house and have my own space. We start working on the inside tomorrow.
    ^^
    You're joking, right?
    Me? No. I am not joking. Right now I build in the living room. This is about 1/4 of what I have.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    ^that's what we did too, but we still find we build at a card table in the living room because there is no heat or A/C in the 'shop'.
    We insulate and wire the cave out today. I will order paneling on Monday and then flooring this week too. I hope I can move out in 2 weeks.
    ^
    Pretty neat, i like what you're doing. Please post pictures when your cave is done.
    @dneul, may I suggest if you use paneling to stay with a light color for better light reflection. Looking forward to pictures!
    @affol_shellz_bellz yes, I was looking at 1/4" paneling. We are putting in 6- 6" canister lights and plan on using led bulbs to keep heat down.
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 454
    Jeez! Some of you have some good storage and shelves! Me? Well A shelf with boxes spilling off of it...., A bookshelf whose books are thrown into the closet to fill up....., Another closet filled with built and unbuilt sets oh and boxes/ninjago booster boxes...., Massive cabinet shoved with lego and on top of the cabinet built sets such as hogwarts, bag end and much more, a suitcase filled with sets ranging from 70's to 80's, and a small kitchen shelf with minifigs :S
    @dneul our lighting in the largest shop, which has two windows, is four fluorescent lights plus an led light over the building area. In the smaller shop we have two ceiling fans with lights, plus two small lights in opposite corners. What color paneling did you choose?

@tmgm528 Sometimes it's a matter of having to make the best use of a limited space, but it doesn't have to limit your enjoyment of what you have. We have been enjoying building alternate models of some of our sets lately.
    @affol_shellz_bellz I didn't get a chance to pick it out today. I had to wait on the repair man to find out what was wrong with our fridge. I will most likely got pick it out this week some time. We finished the electric today and now I have outlets and working lights. I have no windows in my cave. We chose to have 6 canister lights and will most likely have 6 - 75watt equivalent led bulbs in it. I plan on having my build area in the center with one display wall, one plate wall, one brick wall, and one misc wall. I am even entertaining the thought of having a moving wall for the itty bitty stuff that can be slid down to show more bins. I want my build table to also be easily height adjustable so that I can build standing up or sitting down. I put one outlet directly above the centr of the room so I could have a charge cord coming down and not be limited to one side of the room. I also have plans to have track running around the perimeter of the room at the top and build the engine as a cat with the next train car being a dog. My plans this week include getting estimates for a in wall heating and cooling unit, insulate the walls, pick out the paneling and begin sorting my loose bins of old projects to be able to move. I have a pile of sets I have been holding back on to build until I move.
    ^^
    Wow, lots of work to be done. Is this all due to someone evicting you from your own home?
    ^ Not being evicted. My collection has just outgrown the house and needs its own house. :-)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    So move the family into the shed. :-)
    kor
    ^ we actually had my youngest convinced for a short time that we were going to move her and her sister out of their rooms.
    LegoboyCCCOldfanmargot
    @dneul You do have a lot to do. Did you put a vent fan in to let out summer heat. We did the attic fan in the smaller shop but the larger has one of those whirly type wind powered vents on the roof. It's pretty efficient along with free standing fans until it gets really hot. We only have an adjustable chair for building height adjustment, but it works. Have fun getting it all put together!
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz , I do have a bunch to do but in general I like construction projects :-). There is a vent in the roof.
    AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 454
    edited November 2013

@tmgm528 Sometimes it's a matter of having to make the best use of a limited space, but it doesn't have to limit your enjoyment of what you have. We have been enjoying building alternate models of some of our sets lately.

Oh my enjoyment is not limited at all! You have me all wrong! I love to wake up and see the mess which is my Lego collection! I actually have an unbuilt The Wizard battle on a tray next to me right now. I merely am surprised some of you can keep your lego mess more refined :)
    @tmgm528 for some of it's available space, for some it's expendable income, and then again it may be that some would have a mess regardless of space! I'm glad you enjoy your collection!
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 116
    Filling the biggest boxes with the smaller ones like matrioskas is a simple way to save space from empty boxes. Obviously this implies that you need other space to expose the respective builded sets of those boxes.
    AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited November 2013
    ^very nice, if you run out of room ill take ALL the sets on the bottom shelf off your hands :P
    ^^ Agreed, very nice!
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Amazing @Legoboy!
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 847
    Very nice display @Legoboy. Nice to see the Technic helicopter proudly displayed on the top shelf! Looks like you have plenty there to keep you busy building for the next 5 years!
    Legoboy
    Helicopter is one of my favourites actually - great value for money that was. Thank you again for helping me it. :-)

There are indeed many years build there but I am fearful that the pile will grow faster than I can build ie. one model a month if I am lucky!! Still, have promised the kids we'll be building the WV sets over the same weekend the tree goes up so that will be nice. :-)
    SirKevbagsmargotFollowsClosely
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    @Legoboy, there didn't seem to be a huge amount of spare capacity in those shelves, what are your plans for expansion then? I have the same issue by the way, which I'm currently solving by building more and buying less.
    @atkinsar, I won't lie, I was a little concerned about how quickly the shelves were filling up when stacking last week. I'd been worrying for weeks before that actually so was a relief to have been able to accommodate what I wanted in the end.

My plan, once the vinyl is down on the top shelf, is to remove the small promo sets like the Christmas giveaways or Duck and probably the Cuusoos and Calendars and stuff them at the back of the top shelf behind the door. That will free up some space. Next will be to tandem stack the three main storage shelves as of course the majority of the middle and upper shelves are only currently being used to half of its 600mm depth. Those sets won't be visible but I'll know they're there.

After that, I'll be building more shelves for the other two walls of the room. One of those walls has a bay window within it so am likely to shelve underneath its sill or probably build a cupboard actually to hide the nick-naks and non-uniformly shaped sets like planets behind closed doors.

Hopefully I'm set with the shelves already built for a good two or three years, but yes, like you I will be a bit more picky as to what I'll be buying in the future. Building these shelves will help me to reign in the spending - once the space is gone.....it's gone!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,062
    Has anyone else ever noticed themselves throwing out/giving away or otherwise something other than LEGO just to make room for more? I even went so far as to clean out my closest and donate a heap of clothing to make more room! I felt good donating the clothing as it was the right thing to do anyways, but it just got me thinking if anyone else ever does things like this. In sum, do you give up other hobbies and/or "things" to make room for the ever growing collection?
    klatu003margotkormaniacjasor