Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    ^ So it's bigger on the inside? :-)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Ardalis said:

If rumors be true everything is bigger in Texas, even Texas is bigger in Texas.

I certainly hope my Lego room is bigger in Texas... ;-)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Looks like my wife is interested in a home that may not accommodate my lego stuff. Also, there doesn't appear to be room to expand like there was in our existing home. Gotta come up with a plan...
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096

Gotta come up with a plan...

Start selling. I'm in the process of doing so even without my wife pushing me to do it (she likes the extra money though). It's liberating to free of shelf space. Plus I feel silly when trying to keep my kids from playing with them.
    Farmer_John
    edited February 2013
    @Mathew - You are absolutely correct! I really need to start cycling out the older sets to make room. I can keep a few of the sets I like and get rid of the rest. We have also collected a few sets (mainly WV sets) for the kids when they are older, but those don't take a ton of space. Yep...gonna do it. Thanks for the advice...
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 597
    cavegod said:

Legos? i thought Lego was the plural for Lego :-)

for some reason all my American friends always refer to Legos, perhaps on its way across the pond it picks up an S somewhere :)

• Pizzaboy_ukPizzaboy_uk Member Posts: 18
    Just saw this thread and thought i'd share the link to my blog as i'm currently turing our garage into a dedicated Lego room!

http://legoroomproject.blogspot.co.uk/

Been posting about it on another thread, but wanted to share it here too, I can feel the pain of everyone who has posted here so far - I know just how difficult it is to convince wives and girlfriends that Lego needs a room of its own!
    ^ The good news is that my kids never seem to have a problem with it. :-)

Nice room, by the way...
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    @farmer_john Maybe look into a Tough Shed? If you have the space for a truck to drive through, they normally have displays units you can buy at a good discount that they can just unload for you.
    @gmpirate - The place we are looking at definitely has room outside, but putting Legos outside seems kind of sacrilegious for some reason. In TX, the shed would likely get as hot as an attic and the seals might slip open. I'm probably going to take over a portion of the bonus room and try to sell a lot of it. The original plan was to purchase at discounts and then let my oldest work summers selling the EOL'd sets to pay for college. We just didn't plan on moving just this soon. Basically we have about 10 cubic feet (3 cubic meters) of numbered cardboard boxes full of sets. My oldest helped me catalog all of it on a Excel spreadsheet and I could tell you down to the piece where it all is. The problem I have now is resisting picking up more...
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Our Lego shop is a Tough Shed, insulated, two vents on the roof (the type that turn in the breeze) and the boxes have been in it for two years and seem to not be affected at all.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Good to see this helpful thread still alive. I finally got myself a seperate room for my den, so now looking for some creative ideas. Need a table to build and display the sets and create some layouts. Then storage ideas. But I am worried about the dust as we get that alot in the house. Any ideas fellow Bricksetters :) ?
    We too get a lot of dust, I recommend you buy one of the small vacuums meant for keyboards and electronics and use it often.
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    I've got heaps of space in my roof but they must build it different in Australia, the rafters seem to go down the middle of the roof and are in the way.
    Anyway, we've got a billiard table with a table tennis table that sits on top when you're not playing pool so we've started building Lego 'City' on that.
    When we want to play pool we lift it and put it on the kitchen table.
    At the moment the wife is happy with this.
  • gsy971gsy971 Member Posts: 100
    throttleon awesome! only thing i would worry about is dust. i hate how open displays always accumulate dust. might i also suggest acrylic risers for some areas where the sets are smaller and not so tall. it may save space and make things a bit more interesting. i also use those lego monorail supports to rise planes and such off the ground
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    Yeah dust isn't too bad but still enough to be a pain.
    Risers sound like a good idea, I have a plane that takes a heap of space up.
    It's all still in its early stages.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    I would love to have all my LEGO stuff in one room, but it hasn't been possible so far. I have a huge layout in a storage room in the basement, but for actually building, I use my husband's desk when he's not home - it has the largest open flat space, and if a piece falls to the floor, it's not a pain to get at it (as it would be with my desk). And my boxes are stored in two different rooms, wherever I can fit them in. Maybe some day...if I can ever get our daughter to move out....
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    I love the tough shed idea - but winters are cold here. I couldn't afford to heat it. Does anyone know if extreme cold affects LEGO? January temps can get down to -20F overnight here....
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Finally got a room for recreation stuff like Gaming, reading, and of course Lego! Just need to put up some shelfs (need to work on the dust part) a nice table for building sets and Town layout and we will be good to go!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,033
    Well other that getting rid of almost every other hobby and non essential items; I've basically catered my guest room and closet to ONLY accommodate my Lego. When I buy a house I plan on having a dedicatedego room. Call it the lego cave!
    LadyLovesLegosMordoor
    @plantman Not sure how extreme cold would affect your Lego bricks but without a heat source it would be miserable to play in an unheated building in very cold weather. We resorted to heating ours with some large lights we had on hand a couple of days, but mostly we just do the building in the house when it's too hot or too cold. Our tough shed is insulated but still affected by temperature.
  • legocollector2legocollector2 Member Posts: 7
    I'm going to use half of the garage and I am going to remodel my bedroom I'm going to have a bigger lego city
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Speaking of dust, earlier in the thread they talked about an air purifier/cleaner. I use a Honeywell Model #HFD-120-Q (around $119-149) that is good for medium-sized rooms and helps keeps the dust off. It's also good because the people downstairs in my apartment building smoke, and it comes up through the heater vents, and the purifier helps with that as well. A great purchase all around.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    I saw this image and thought, duh!, why hasn't Lego done this yet? For a kid's bedroom, it would be dizzying but amazing.

Minifig wallpaper.

I tried to attach it the photo, but it's blocked from doing so. Here's the link.

http://www.barriebrewerphotography.com/Walt-Disney-World/Downtown-Disney-1/6583593_FWXPH#!i=824038025&k=3zS7vsQ&lb=1&s=A

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,403
    ^ That really looks weird, there isn't one yellow hand or face to be found.
    GCSLego
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Today I installed a shelf in one of our downstairs closets. I got sick of seeing a bunch of stacks of 8 or so sets and all this wasted vertical space. The first picture is from inside the closet (it's about 8 feet wide and 2 feet deep). The shelf fits two stacks of 24x16x4 sets perfectly. Yes, I can see that the board is not resting flush on the mounted bracket, but it's the wood's fault not mine. Once I piled on the second stack shown in the second photo it leveled out. And if the apparent disorganization of the sets irks you (it kinda does me too), it is based on when I intend to sell them, thus back column is next year, front column this year. The last photo shows what my son (seen doing acrobatics on the chair to the left) did while I worked; that's a Monster Fighters smash 'em up on our building/sorting/playing table. The closet can be seen in the very back.
    @prevere That wallpaper would keep anyone awake! Ugh!
    @Farmer_John - I'm curious - have you made the final decision to move or is the Lego Room still on?
    @dejavu - Your timing is impeccable. The company I am working for just decided to defer our move to save some money (it's a small company). We could relocate at a later date, but that remains to be seen. Meanwhile, the Lego room has been a life saver. The Lego sets take priority; however, we've been using it for conditioned supplemental storage as well. Thanks for asking...
    Well, if you finish the room, do let us see photos. I'm chartreuse with envy.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I have one room in my house we call, oddly enough, "Chuck's Lego room". I have a table in the middle that I am trying to build a town with a train and tunnels and such, but I've literally started and torn it apart about three times now. The whole room is a mess right now. Legos(that's right LEGOS) in bins, in containers, on shelves! My dream would be to have shelves on every wall and drawers on the bottom to sort bricks in.
    edited May 2013
    dejavu said:

Well, if you finish the room, do let us see photos. I'm chartreuse with envy.

Oh...I'm sorry...I misunderstood you. Yes...it is finished. You can see photos of it back on the second page of comments in this blog topic. It's a very nice room, but currently just storing sets in boxes...not built sets. Ultimately, I would like to have tables and shelves and drawers for sorting like @chuxtoybox is describing above.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    @legoboy ^well done ;)

I want it so bad as well
    Legoboy
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    That is a great sign!
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Available at all B&Q/Home Depot/Other DIY stores worldwide!?
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Did you have it made then at B&Q then @Legoboy? I need one for my LEGO room, no ifs, buts or maybes, I need one.
    Legoboy
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    I am indeed a very lucky Legoboy. :)
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    My dear husband went with me yesterday and we bought an outside portable building. Delivery will be in 4 weeks. The size is 12x16 with a 9 ft ceiling. Plans will including insulation/ finished and ac/heat before any bricks go in. I also will have a train running around the perimeter of the room at the top. Currently I share space in the living room.
    jasor
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Legoboy said:

I am indeed a very lucky Legoboy. :)

Yeah yeah, now spill the beans, where did ya get it from?

@atkinsar - Advertised on a well known online Free Classified Ads website. :)
    @atkinsar, you hate me don't you!?
    alexwiljimmyp1982
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,033
    More my backyard than house, but finishing up an 8x12 shed to accomodate my growing collection. Shingles go up tomorrow morning and will post a pic or two. Plan on building shelving around the entire upper inside rim to display built sets.
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164
    I'm selling my house at the moment and looking for a small farm to buy with a big shed, just for my Lego. My wife agreed!!! How cool.
    SupersympaMatthewDougout
    If the wife agrees, anything is possible! :-)
    Supersympa
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Peter1975 said:

I'm selling my house at the moment and looking for a small farm to buy with a big shed, just for my Lego. My wife agreed!!! How cool.

How quickly did she agree? Could be her master plan to get her hands on all the Lego and have you move into the shed. :)
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    edited September 2013
    This fall I will be starting the slow process of finishing off our basement. This is a quick look at the current state of our Lego.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=554855461234965

I'll post updates as the project starts.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^ @FollowsClosely- They must be some very happy kids! Good luck on the project.
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164
    @LegoMom1: haha, well, she can have the house!
    edited October 2013
    @dneul We have one of those pre-fab type buildings, and wish we had room for 2-3 more! Here's what we did in our 16x20. On the side of the layout closest to the camera is a building area with more of the layout behind. Second photo is what is in back when sitting at the building area. Shelves go all around. These are out dated pics, so some changes since. Top shelf used to have G Scale electric trains before we sold them.
    vitreolumLegoboyBastaGothamConstructionCoHarryPotterLoverMatthewMods79Markey