Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

1303132333436»

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,496
    EGRoberts said:

one would never know it once held toys.

Toys????

Lego is just a child39s toy  It39s a sophisticated interlocking brick  system - batman slap robin  Meme Generator
    Somebody left out a critical “not”.
    SumoLegodatsunrobbiekarmajaygmonkey76
  • tne328tne328 Member Posts: 7

Is there an enclosed option that can hold both a Saturn V and a 48x48 baseplate? I am planning a future display area, and I would like to have space for a 48 by 48 baseplate (15 inches square) that has several Creator buildings on it, as well as the meter-long Saturn V, displayed either vertically or horizontally. It would be nice to have a glass case that would cut down on dust accumulation. I had been thinking of Ikea's Detolf, until I looked again today and saw that it is only about 14 and a half inches deep, so it could not hold a baseplate flat on a shelf and still close the door. I think there is an Ivar variant that can go 35 by 19, but obviously that forgoes dust protection.

So what do you do? If you have a large baseplate in a glass display, what display did you use? Did it cost an arm and a leg? Or would it be easier to find a cabinet with opaque doors that was deep enough and wide enough?

• Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,311
    @FollowsClosely, I actually showed pictures to my wife of your LEGO room/building area and storage. She was very impressed. Your neatness has benefited me greatly! :)

I appreciate the suggestions so far. The room doesn't look like it will be massive, so it looks like it will mostly be display area with some built-in shelves flush with the wall (as to not take away floor space), a work desk, and a build area with parts storage. My long-term storage will most likely end up in the garage much like FollowsClosely, so as to keep things nice and clean. 

As far as lighting, is there anything I should stay away from? Not sure if any current lighting options would potentially discolor the bricks? The room will also have a window, but I'll put on the UV screen to at least help reduce any potential sun damage. 
    SumoLegoMr_Cross
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,226
    edited July 7
    I don't think any of the present LED lighting options can discolor bricks.  I installed these bendable LED 'garage' bulbs, and they're fantastic.

I'll eventually have an in-ceiling lighting system, but these light up everything like Yankee Stadium.
    Switchfoot55pxchrisCymbelineKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 869
    If you’re like me and enjoy watching tv and movies while building and also use your computer for digital manuals (or set design and rendering which I don’t do) or just like to check email or Brickset or whatever… make sure your workstation is properly located, outfitted, and laid out to allow for whatever tech you prefer. My desk has dual 27” monitors (1 4K and the other 1440p) on very flexible arms. Usually the 4K one is on my work laptop, but I switch it over to my personal MacBook for dual large displays while building. I can arrange streaming windows, instructions, email, Twitter, etc. however suits my fancy for each session. I also have a pair of nice Audioengine speakers for movies and music. And nice external keyboard and magic touchpad.

I would be miserable with just my laptop!
    KungFuKennySumoLegoFizyxSwitchfoot55gmonkey76datsunrobbiekarmajayveyniac
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,477
    Don't pretend like I didn't notice your vinyl there @KungFuKenny.
    MarshallmarioSwitchfoot55KungFuKennygmonkey76BumblepantsFizyxMr_Cross
    edited July 14
    pxchris said:
    Don't pretend like I didn't notice your vinyl there @KungFuKenny.
    @Yellowcastle
    Not that kind of vinyl.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,210
    He’s getting cute again...
    GothamConstructionCoKungFuKennySumoLegogmonkey76pxchris
    I've officially packed up all of my display sets and broken down my bookshelves (5x5 Kallax unit and floating shelves mainly). I'll be moving into a rental for the next 9-12 months, so I'm debating if I want to reconfigure the Kallax vertical dividers a bit to change up the display area. 

Don't tell my wife I'm planning on unpacking all the LEGO in the rental...

General floor-planning is still going on for a potential home build. My will-be office/LEGO room gained a small amount of square footage as well as a reasonably spaced built-in shelving area. It will also potentially have a closet that takes up the space under a staircase off the room for some additional storage.

(Just had the thought that maybe my wife considers the closet area as the LEGO zone and the rest as a LEGO-free office?)
    KungFuKennygmonkey76pxchrisFizyx
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 180

(Just had the thought that maybe my wife considers the closet area as the LEGO zone and the rest as a LEGO-free office?)

is the non-red soda company running the no compromise ads over there. there's one about the mancave that's in a closet that's still used as a closet. you've compromised enough is the tag line.

KungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76Switchfoot55
    I've been thinking about adding some sort of LED strips like this to my displays too!
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,057
    I ordered something very similar just a few days ago!  Did you conceal yours behind a valance or anything, or just keep them in plain sight?
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,698
    I ordered something very similar just a few days ago!  Did you conceal yours behind a valance or anything, or just keep them in plain sight?
    Left them in plain sight. I'll take some pictures tonight.
    The mirrors are a cool effect too! 
    Marshallmario560Heliport
  • Dude4LegoDude4Lego Saint Cloud Minnesota Member Posts: 24

KungFuKennyWesterBricks
  • Dude4LegoDude4Lego Saint Cloud Minnesota Member Posts: 24
    Finally got my Lego Art up

Marshallmario560HeliportpxchrisSwitchfoot55WesterBrickskarmajay
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 338
    I know many of us use IKEA's Kallax for displaying/storing LEGO sets. Have any of you tried the Insert with glass door? It looks like the ultimate dust saver solution. You can omit the horizontal glass divider, so you can place models up to about 32x32x32 cm (~12.5 inches x3).
    Also: Wicked Brick just launched a similar (and more expensive) solution for Kallax. Link here.
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyCymbelinestruddieWesterBrickspxchris
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,496
    ^ Unfortunately the Wicked Brick one does not seem to have a back to keep out dust.
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 869
    ^ Unfortunately the Wicked Brick one does not seem to have a back to keep out dust.
    It would be pretty easy to just get 1/4" plywood, paint it to match, and tack that onto the back of the whole cabinet, wouldn't it?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,962

Also: Wicked Brick just launched a similar (and more expensive) solution for Kallax. Link here.
    I would use the Wicked Bricks version but I wish they had made it for Billy bookcases instead. Those seem to be way more common in the UK at least.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,026
    I use exclusively Kallax. Might buy some of those doors - although I'd need... 36... Yeah, I'll be saving up a while!
    Brickfan50Redbullgivesuwind
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 338

They have.
    Doesn't appear that the insert with glass door is available in the US yet. But it does look like it could be a very nice solution!
    You can change out that light fixture for a UCS Millennium Falcon.  
    KungFuKennyYellowcastleBumblepantsFizyxAddicted2OxygenThe_Stud
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    We moved house 6 weeks ago, so I finally got my own Lego room again! It's taken a bit of time to get it all sorted how I wanted it, but it's now all done.
    Looks great!! I would of secured the shelving brackets to the wall studs vice using drywall anchors for better weight support.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,083
    The rawlplugs I used are suitable for stud walls, and the weight on them isn't that much - nobody's going to sit on them ;)
    What a great use of an otherwise very difficult-sized/shaped room to use! Everything looks fantastic!

I unloaded some sets in my temporary office for display yesterday. I'm quite happy with how it's turned out so far. I have a little more to do until it's "finalized" for now. But glad these sets don't have to stay in a box for a year!
    pxchrisPaperballparkFizyx
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,472
    @KungFuKenny Any chance of some higher res pics? That looks really nice! :-)

I'm both anticipating and dreading the rumoured new NC set, as I've not built any of the previous three so far and have no idea where I'm going to put any new one! :-D
    KungFuKenny