Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,484
    We need to set it up as a videoconference so we can offer criticism- er, I mean, helpful suggestions!
    KungFuKennygmonkey76
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 146
    @autolycus I spent the summer of 1987 at Fort Benning, Georgia... I'll take snow, thank you very much.
    Hubby got transferred here to FL in 2003 from Cleveland Ohio ... I miss snow!!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,852
    edited April 10
    Hey @SumoLego show us your carpets and stuff while you remodel the basement. We are bored and need entertainment
    The room is complete carnage right now.  (Again.)
    A live stream of @sumolego painting his basement would be must see TV!
    I already fell asleep thinking about the prospect of me livestream painting for ten minutes and then taking a two-hour nap.  

In unrelated news, I inexplicably have traded for two Red Beard Runners of the last bunch of months.  Ironically, I have use for two.  I think this makes me a genius.  Yes, I am declaring victory!

Also proud I ate the last Tootsie Pop from my kids' Halloween Candy.  I thought it was a Blow-Pop, and I briefly considered that I had the strongest teeth on Earth.  (It wasn't gum.)
    Bumblepants560HeliportReesesPiecesKungFuKennycatwrangler
    ^ Cleveland Rocks!!!
    ericb
    @oldtodd33 and @SumoLego ... I am not gonna step into that age old argument, suffice it to say hubby was born and raised there and is a Browns fan, poor boy!
    gmonkey76KungFuKennyReesesPiecesSumoLegooldtodd33Jackad7
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,504
    @GrannyLEGO  I was born and raised in Toledo, I just can't help making fun of my home state when ever I get a chance.
    SumoLegoMynattJackad7
    ... Browns fan...
    Yeah, it's shared Lake Erie misery.  Lions, Browns, Bills...
    mak0137
    SumoLego said:
    ... Browns fan...
    Yeah, it's shared Lake Erie misery.  Lions, Browns, Bills...
    Not being a native of the area myself I was unaware but shared with hubby and got a huge grin and laughed out loud ... thanks ... during this situation, we needed that!
    SumoLego
    Well, on the positive side, Lake Erie doesn't catch on fire anymore.
    oldtodd33gmonkey76Mynattmh3490Jackad7
    @SumoLego I though that was just the Cuyahoga River not the Lake!
    SumoLegoAstrobricksMynatt
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 583
    I feel like I gotta jump in here. Cleveland can be easy to make fun of but it's cool here! I swear! 

Between the Browns and rivers catching on fire, my other favorite piece of Cleveland History is without a doubt Balloonfest '86. https://gizmodo.com/that-time-cleveland-released-1-5-million-balloons-and-c-1565731191

I love living in the city considered "The Mistake on the Lake."
    SumoLegoKungFuKennyReesesPiecesericbmak0137
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 375
    Don't forget about the Cleveland Indians 10-cent Beer Night promo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night?wprov=sfla1
    ericb
    Mynatt said:
    I feel like I gotta jump in here. Cleveland can be easy to make fun of but it's cool here! I swear! 

Between the Browns and rivers catching on fire, my other favorite piece of Cleveland History is without a doubt Balloonfest '86. https://gizmodo.com/that-time-cleveland-released-1-5-million-balloons-and-c-1565731191

I love living in the city considered "The Mistake on the Lake."
    Don't misunderstand me @Mynatt I miss Cleveland and would far rather live there than down here in beautiful St Augustine Florida but transfers are transfers and we can't afford to move back. So ... hubby says he missed the Balloonfest in person but asks if you saw the inflatable King Kong on Terminal Tower in June of 1990 ... says he saw it driving in to work. https://twitter.com/towerlightscle/status/837755034955878402

• truck730truck730 Member Posts: 263
    Never been to Cleveland but St. Augustine was a great end of trip from Australia and We loved it to bits
    KungFuKenny
    truck730 said:
    Never been to Cleveland but St. Augustine was a great end of trip from Australia and We loved it to bits

Ahhh but it never snows!
    It's snowing in Denver right now, and for the next two days:(  It was 70 testerday.
    SumoLegogmonkey76piratemania7
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 455
    ^ I miss Colorado. Cant wait to move back.
    oldtodd33
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 255
    OK, but What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction? :-)
    AstrobricksDjblythe05SumoLegoKungFuKennyMaffyDCymbelinemustang69BillyBricks84mak0137
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 298
    edited April 14
    OK, but What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction? :-)
    My wife just ordered my birthday present: a natural cherry wood, 73" tall (~185cm), glass door bookcase for my office. It will fit perfectly between two windows. The 6 shelves will each be wide enough and deep enough to hold three 36x36 baseplates with a smidgeon of room to spare on each side. It should add quite a lot of extra room for dust-protected and sunlight-free display! :)

edit: Left off the "three" for how many baseplates.
    omniumKungFuKenny560HeliportCymbelinecatwranglerBrickfan50lessjunkfood
    edited April 16
    Gonna need a bigger boat!

(Side note - been waiting for two consecutive days over 50 degrees to use my masonry paint.  No happenin' this week.)
    ^ It's snowing in Denver AGAIN!!  UHHHG!
    davetheoxygenmanpiratemania7mustang69
    I know some of you disagree, but to me, the most important thing some of y'all could do to accommodate Lego is to move your house to somewhere that doesn't get snow in mid-April!
    Astrobrickskarmajay
    autolycus said:
    ...is to move your house to somewhere that doesn't get snow in mid-April!
    Then there are bugs.  And snakes.  And lizards.
    560Heliportdavetheoxygenmanoldtodd33Jackad7stlux
     What about late May? In 1992 we got about four inches of snow the night before Memorial Day. 
    SumoLegoautolycus
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,877
     What about late May? In 1992 we got about four inches of snow the night before Memorial Day. 
    My Minnesota weatherguide calendar begs to differ, unless you were not in the twin cities in ‘92.
    SumoLegoJackad7
    Mankato. My mom took a picture of my dad on Memorial Day sitting on the swing with trellis he spent that Saturday and Sunday building, with the intention of enjoying the holiday relaxing on the swing. So the photo shows him in a coat, hat, and gloves. He was determined to enjoy his swing!
    KungFuKennySumoLegoAstrobricks
    Is this a Minnesota Memorial Day Snow Day Throwdown?!?
    BumblepantsAstrobricksgmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,289
    SumoLego said:
    Is this a Minnesota Memorial Day Snow Day Throwdown?!?
    Starring Will Ferrell and John C Reilly!
    gmonkey76
    Must have the wrong year, or a different part of Minnesota.  It appears the end of May 1992 was balmy...

KLOKRIECHER
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 329
    autolycus said:
    I know some of you disagree, but to me, the most important thing some of y'all could do to accommodate Lego is to move your house to somewhere that doesn't get snow in mid-April!
    Even the UK has had snow mid april before now but we have had a mini heat wave instead this week

Raining again today though 
    @SumoLego Mankato, MN is around 80 miles southwest of the Twin Cities. 
    SumoLego
    autolycus said:
    Even the UK has had snow mid april before now but we have had a mini heat wave instead this week

Raining again today though 
    The UK is also quite a bit north of Atlanta! :) Y'all are way up there level with Canada, and some parts of Scotland are REALLY north! I'm sure there are plenty of parts of the UK that don't get snow in April except maybe once every few decades. Places like Cornwall and Devon, maybe? And who doesn't love clotted cream or pasties?
    560HeliportMaffyD
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,618
    What you have to bear in mind when people from the UK say 'we get snow' is that they usually mean 'I saw some flakes fall from the sky for an hour one day last February, but it had all melted two hours later'.
    autolycus560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBGothamConstructionCoCymbelineJackad7Astrobricksstluxcatwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,443
    we say it even if it melts before reaching the ground.
    CymbelineAstrobricksstlux
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 435
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,111
    oldtodd33 said:
    ^ It's snowing in Denver AGAIN!!  UHHHG!
    We just had a spit of the white stuff yesterday!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,549
    SumoLego said:
    Random thought - if I were starting a delivery company, I would name it 'Corona Carriers'.
    And with locations all over the US, wherever you are we're spitting distance from you.

560HeliportSumoLego
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,618
    edited April 19
    NickF22 said:
    I live near there, so I know about that particular occasion.

However, it demonstrates what I mean about us Brits saying 'oh yeah it can really snow here!' Half an inch of snow on the ground really isn't much, and neither is 6 inches. I've seen 10 inches of snow on the ground here, and while it looks lovely, it actually isn't that much and usually melts in a few days.

There are parts of the world where snowfall is measured in feet, and where people will be snowed in for days or even weeks.

When was the last time you couldn't go somewhere because there was 3 feet of snow outside? If you're in the UK then chances are that it wasn't in your lifetime. So half an inch of snow on the ground really doesn't count as 'properly snowing' ;)
    Here in Minnesota, the start of the 1991-92 season was two+ feet on Halloween!
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,877
    Here in Minnesota, the start of the 1991-92 season was two+ feet on Halloween!
    We were all sheltering at home for that! 
    And then the ice on the freeways for like a month after it 🙄 because, of course, nothing goes with 2.5 feet of snow like sub-zero temps (F).
    I was lucky in that my roommate/coworker decided to stay at his girlfriend's place- so I had the apartment to myself for three days.
    ^ I've got those Lego shelves also. I've often wondered why the poles to connect the shelves are a different height. 
    The short version is that LEGO distributed those re-usable modular shelving about 10 years ago for TRU Make-and-Take events to help their merchandisers better manage the participants.  They're only meant to be waist-high, so the length of the tubes varies based on the application.

They're on wheels to increase mobility and flexibility at the stores.  They're very helpful when trying to obscure the true amount of hoarded LEGO in my basement...
    560Heliportgmonkey76stluxcozySwitchfoot55
  • OldTownBricksOldTownBricks VirginiaMember Posts: 13
    Has anyone found trays/dividers that work with the Ikea Alex desk units? I've been thinking about getting some to use with the Linnmon tables.