Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    That room is so cool ... and the door sign just makes it extra special, that is such a nice touch. I also notice some Lego escapes to just outside the door. It doesn't matter how big your Lego room is, there is never enough room!
    Bludchylde1
  • throttleonthrottleon Member Posts: 17
    blockquote rel="CCC"> It doesn't matter how big your Lego room is, there is never enough room!

Isn't that the truth!!!!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    edited June 2012
    To the contrary, I think the UCS on pedestals outside the door is a beauty, "Welcome". Whether the room was empty or not..I'd have them. Like lions guarding the entrance. Nice touch if you ask me.
  • Missing_Pieces_15Missing_Pieces_15 Member Posts: 17
    @throttleon .... Beautiful room and colletion. Thank you for sharing. How do you handle dust? Consistent dusting or just live with it and wash?
    I like your analogy of lions guarding the entrance...never thought of it that way but that's a cool observation....

As far as dust goes...they really don't get that bad (we have an electronic filter system on the HVAC unit for that part of the house)...but a few times a year, I just take them out to a sink and spray them off and let them air dry....
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ What is this electronic filter system?
  • Missing_Pieces_15Missing_Pieces_15 Member Posts: 17
    @throttleon ... Thank you for the follow up. Is this electronic filter system on the HVAC something you add on or did it come with your system at install? I've looked into the stand alone air filtration systems but haven't actually purchased anything.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    @throttleon are those UCS sitting on JBL subwoofers at the door? And is that a cutaway of a submarine in top right of the 2nd pic?
    ^ What is this electronic filter system?
    Ours is made by Honeywell it's an add on to any system... it is a 3 stage filtration system that uses an electronic charge to filter out 99% of airborne particles as they pass through the system......our heating contractor put them in when they installed the HVAC units....they seem to work very well....

I think they have stand alone units also...

@throttleon are those UCS sitting on JBL subwoofers at the door? And is that a cutaway of a submarine in top right of the 2nd pic?
    Good eye...yes they are JBL subwoofers...they turned out to be the perfect size for the bases to the UCS (and they are never going to be knocked over!)......the submarine is a M... B.... Sea Wolf submarine which is there along with one of their aircraft carriers....

• Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 776
    When I was younger, my family had a "play room" where all of our toys would be kept. Eventually we got older, we barely used the room, and it was turned into a guest room. The Lego was stored in the cramped room I shared with my brother. Just last summer it was decided that we would move our bedroom into the once-was "play-room". The Lego was given its own alcove in the room and has already grown out of it. I'm hoping my sorting will take care of that.
  • dodianododiano Member Posts: 72
    Well this is me! Building a city for my kids and me here is my youngest son he is 7 now with the first part of the city the Tables are 1.80 mts x 1 mt there are 2 and we have a planned the city using bluebricks within those limits!
    catwrangler
    Well, whilst @Farmer_John was working with his new room, over the last few months I was battling with agents and seller to buy our next family home. Of course, it wasn't to give the kids their own room, nor a proper garden. Nor was it to transfer the kids to a better school. There were only two reasons for my move. The first was to leave behind the stigma attached to living within 3 or 4 miles of Slough, but more importantly, I needed space for my first....I mean second love.

Moved in just last weekend. Lots and lots of work to do but hopefully will find time to unpack before the year's out allowing myself some room to breathe.

I present, every last brick I own - other than the hidden shipping carton in my car....oh, and the other one in transit!! :-)

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzSZDy9
    catwrangler
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I present, every last brick I own - other than the hidden shipping carton in my car....oh, and the other one in transit!! :-)

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzSZDy9
    Excellent LEGO room, and wonderful MOCs. I like what you've done with the 2x4 boxes, and good technique with the SNOT (Sacks Not On Top). Is that Official Michael Jackson Opus Book box printed or stickered?
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    ^^I see you got the Michael Jackson Opus printed in China...are the pages noticeably more transparent?
    ^^ Yeah, not bad huh? Just a shame the light greys have been affected by the UV and the heavy smoking (must stop that).

^ :oD (x2)

I spent some time last night taking out some of the unnecessary furniture we'd dumped in there when we moved in. I then went on to restack the boxes to get them out of the way so that I could at least get my glass desk in and out of the living room.

The carpet is filthy since this room was used by some scruffy teenage girl and her two chiwawas - bloody stank last weekend. Once the carpet is ripped out and replaced, I'll then start to unbox. No point in doing it now if I've only got to empty them all out of the room again.

My wife thinks the desk should be turned around to face the window rather than waste the floor area behind it. Normally I'd agree but we all know we need the 'wall' space. I think the desk will come into the centre of the room to free up the bay window. I reckon once the blinds are up, the bay should have a shelf installed at cill height with cupboards underneath. I can't think of any other efficient use for it.

The first was to leave behind the stigma attached to living within 3 or 4 miles of Slough, but more importantly, I needed space for my first....I mean second love.
    1st question. Is that better or worse than the stigma of living in the middle of Slough?

2nd question. Have you built its most famous landmark in Lego?

^ @CCC - Where on earth is that???
    edited June 2012
    ^
    TyresOFlaherty
    Well, there you go. Thanks for that, and to answer, yes, I think my son may have built something like that 3 or 4 years ago! Not sure I had any Maersk Blue at the time though.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    @flump ~ I think placing the desk in the middle of the room (space permitting) is a good idea. That's what we've done and it opens up the rest of the room for storage/display.
    A rather successful day today. Cable installed, carpet fitted and........... :-)

Next, shelving.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Did the fitter leave those behind?
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    Very nice! You went with the desk in the middle approach - look at the wall behind you. Shelves, shelves, shelves!
    ^^ He did like that Lego Alan did!

^ Only way to do it I guess. :-) Other than the door, I'm thinking shelves all the way around - even under the window. @atkinsar sent me a pretty good link for shelving so hopefully that won't be too far behind. It's figuring out where all of the boxes are going to live that concerns me.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    That's a great start @flump, looking good. Chuck the boxes!
  • lilmonster777lilmonster777 Member Posts: 53
    I kicked my wife out of her office,it's now Lego city.muhahaha
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I didn't know I had the perfect man-cave under the house until the growing mounds of Lego demanded that I (dum dum DUM) clean the basement! Table, shelves, plastic drawers and bins... Things are shaping up!
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    A 16' x 20' Tough Shed building with finished interior gives us the space not available in our home. I'm hoping these pics show up in order, as they should show the room from the right as you walk in continuing around.
    Remainder of pics . . . Shop number two is still in the constructing a layout phase.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    @flump Showing those GB minfigs off, eh?

But the room is looking good.
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    Nothing yet since I only just started getting Legos again, but by the end of the year I'll probably need at least one additional bookshelf for displaying sets (I could already use it, but can manage without it for the time being). And as the time goes by, a few more most likely. Haha.
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Niiiiiiiiiice! You must have been working on that for what, a year or two? ;) Very inspiring playroom.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz - Very nice! Out of curiousity, where did you get the wooden MF holders on the wall in the last picture? Any links? Those look nice and could be very useful in the kids room as well as our lego room. Thanks in advance!
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz While I was drooling over those GB minifigs, I totally missed your photos. But I've got to say, that room is impressive. I hope to turn or garage into something similar, but not with a city layout, just some building space and such.

One question, where the heck did you find the large display minifigure used at TRU? They won't sell one to me. :(
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    One question, where the heck did you find the large display minifigure used at TRU? They won't sell one to me. :(
    Hehe. A local supermarket has a few big display minifigures, when I first saw them I immediately thought that it would be awesome to get one for myself - but I reckon that'll never happen.
    @Brickamor Thanks, it has been 2-1/2 years and it changes a bit regularly, especially the items on the walls. @Farmer_John those cases are golf ball display cases from Michael's but they are getting harder and to find. We use them upside down because of the divots that hold the ball. @LegobrandonCP one suggestion - use the wall brackets so you can change the spacing of the shelves anytime you want. It's more $ off the top but saves in the long run.
    These pic were taken a few months ago and we've moved Market Street to where the gas station was and put CC in that space, while the town plan buildings got moved closer together. Room 2 will be airport, spaceport and seaport, plus the big builds like Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, etc. and all the architecture sets.
    ^ I really like how you did your shelving. You and @throttleon have given me some great ideas. When it comes time to remodel I'll have plenty to ponder. But surely building (!) that collection has taken longer than 2 1/2 years...? If not I'll be coming down with a debilitating case of keeping-up-with-the-Jonses. I hazard that it's primarily awe-inspiring rooms like these that fuel demand for discontinued sets. (Not to mention that I was very "meh" on Tower Bridge, but seeing it there... wow.) So if I have to pay $XXXX for Taj Majal then I really need to pay pennies for shelving!
    ^ Rechecked our inventory dates and found we started buying Lego in March 2009, so just over 3 yrs now. We have the advantage of both being retired and having a decent retirement in addition to having very few bills. It's all about priorities, this is our vice - we don't smoke, drink, or gamble, seldom go to movies, don't travel far because of health issues so this is what we enjoy doing. Our shelving is particle board, and we have had the wall and shelf brackets for a very long time and just bought more when needed. Btw, you can make particle board shelves look better by adding trim to the front, and if you buy the trim a bit wider than the thickness of the shelf it keeps things from falling if there is mild vibration from slamming doors, etc.

We have bought a few older sets off ebay, but also on CL such as the Vestas Wind Turbine that isn't even in the shop, as well as the Wright Flyer in shop 2. We are still looking for some of the cranes we are missing, but have to budget for those because of cost.
    @LegobrandonCP Didn't mean to ignore your question about the store display minifig - Got it off ebay in '09 I believe. I really want the one the Barnes & Noble stores use of a giant minifig sitting reading a book! Think I need to make friends with the managers of all the nearby B&N stores!
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    I've just spent the weekend building my new workshop (read big shed) for my Lego. I did NOT enjoy being on the roof while the strong wind was blowing. It's up, now it needs wiring and insulating.
    The garage is now cleaned up. Visiting IKEA soon to check out some cheap tables to build on. :)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Pictures, pictures, pictures....
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ Yes! worth a thousand words . . .
    kez
    After finally getting a nice lego room built and loaded with all my boxes, we will be relocating to another state. Although I believe Texas will have more educational opportunities for my kids (the main priority), I am disappointed that I won't get to enjoy the new digs. Fortunately, I did wire the room for 7.1 surround sound so someone can easily use it as a theater or office. Sigh...
    ^ Lol, how it goes sometimes. I'm sure once we are done with our remodel we will be moving to Texas as well (hopefully). We plan to vacation out there this summer to get a feel for it. I'm thinking we should drive so that we can hit all the rural Walmarts along the way ;)
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    edited January 2013
    Nice room
    edited January 2013
    ^ Ha! I am laughing about your statement about vacationing there this summer to get a feel for it. I hope I don't mitigate your anticipation and curiosity by telling you it will be HOT. Hot in the day and hot at night. In fact, you probably won't need nerve endings to feel it.

We're actually moving back to Texas (we were there for over 15 years prior to moving to Tennessee). I hate house hunting, but my wife and I both agree I need a room for my Lego stuff. She will get the rest of the house (except the garage, of course). ;-)
    ^ I hear ya. Besides leaving family, the humid heat is really the only hesitation. I'm figuring the lower taxes and business friendly environment will offset this. Then maybe later we can all secede from the union :)
    yys4u
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

We're actually moving back to Texas (we were there for over 15 years prior to moving to Tennessee). I hate house hunting, but my wife and I both agree I need a room for my Lego stuff. She will get the rest of the house (except the garage, of course). ;-)

Lol, so are you sleeping in the Lego room or the garage :0

Every one on here seems to be moving to Texas, is the Lego bigger their ;)
  • ArdalisArdalis Member Posts: 37
    If rumors be true everything is bigger in Texas, even Texas is bigger in Texas.