Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

1232425262729»

Comments

• LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 486
    My Imperial Forces are looking for an expansion into that cabinet, they are missing a Gozanti Class Ship as well a Zeta Class Shuttle but that is a matter for another day:
    KungFuKennyCymbelineOnebricktoomanyomniumFizyxmsanders
  • panchox1panchox1 ColoradoMember Posts: 210
    @kungfukenny, what type of storage bins to you use?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,532
    tom1994 said:
    I’ve just started renting a 15 sq ft storage unit to keep all my sets and boxes until I have a bigger house! No one warns you about how much space this hobby needs :O 
    Surely you mean 15sq metres? 15sq ft is barely anything!
    KungFuKennygmonkey76
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,523
    @panchox1 Aldi sells very similar Workforce brand drawers for a third (or less) of the price of the Akro-Mils drawers. I have both, and the biggest difference I noticed is the Aldi drawers don't have a tab at the back of the drawer to keep them from pulling out. 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,707
    The Akro-Mils ones used to be available at Menards for $20, but sadly I don’t see them on their web site any more. It looks like they may have replaced them with the “Tuff Store” brand: 
    https://www.menards.com/main/tools/tool-storage/socket-organizers-small-parts-bins/tuff-store-reg-pro-series-27-drawer-small-parts-storage-cabinet/ts1327p/p-1521440819717.htm
    KungFuKennyJackad7
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 347
    The Akro-Mils ones used to be available at Menards for $20, but sadly I don’t see them on their web site any more. It looks like they may have replaced them with the “Tuff Store” brand: 
    https://www.menards.com/main/tools/tool-storage/socket-organizers-small-parts-bins/tuff-store-reg-pro-series-27-drawer-small-parts-storage-cabinet/ts1327p/p-1521440819717.htm
    I noticed this today, too. Not that I have room for any more of these, but it was nice to know where I could conveniently get them for a good price. 
    KungFuKennyJackad7
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 513
    Heading into 2020 I had 2 objectives for my MOC building area...I first added another column of storage bins so I could finally sort excess bricks from PAB purchases etc.  I also am able to sort my Duplo pieces now...

I also installed a desk perpendicular to the main one so that my TFOL son and I can build simultaneously...

As always, it’s good to have some friends nearby to supervise the building...
    All in all I’m pretty pleased to have the upgrades finished - now to choose what to build next!
    Just curious what method do you use to sort your pieces? For example does every single part/color combo have it's own drawer? Trying to part out my stuff so I can actually find what I need but very overwhelmed.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 763
    Jackad7 said:
    Just curious what method do you use to sort your pieces? For example does every single part/color combo have it's own drawer? Trying to part out my stuff so I can actually find what I need but very overwhelmed.
    When I first started years ago my sorting reflected the smaller size of my parts collection... for example all the 1x1 plates would be mixed in one bin, then the 1x2s, etc.  As the part count has gone up I have found it helpful to separate by part type and then by color.  I try to plan so that there will be bigger drawers for parts like black 1x2 plates, which I commonly stock up on at the PAB wall.  

It really depends on your space/storage limitations— as I have been able to add storage, I have been able to make my organization more granular/specific.  For example, I have separate bins for minifigure heads, torsos, legs, hands, weapons, food items, etc...

If you check out Tom Alphin’s label system you will begin to see what you are up against.  He is up to 20 pages of labels currently, and many of those categories will be printed several times to accommodate multiple colors!

https://brickarchitect.com/files/LEGO_BRICK_LABELS-CONTACT_SHEET.pdf
    Switchfoot55OldfanJackad7mak0137
    @Jackad7 Check out this thread for some extensive discussion of sorting a collection: 
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/26629/how-detailed-do-you-get-when-sorting
    datsunrobbieKungFuKennyJackad7LittleLorimak0137
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 49

All in all I’m pretty pleased to have the upgrades finished - now to choose what to build next!
    Next? I am already drooling all over your set up! I'm just getting started and at my age I will never catch up!

• Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 513
    @Jackad7 Check out this thread for some extensive discussion of sorting a collection: 
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/26629/how-detailed-do-you-get-when-sorting
    Ah thanks! I figured there was a thread somewhere just wasnt having luck finding it on my phone.
    Astrobricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,227

Two clocks with different times, even just a minute apart, would really annoy me.
    panchox1
    A person with two clocks never knows what time it is.
    KungFuKenny
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,067
    The two clocks could be just one second (or less) apart, and the photo was taken in the interval between the two reaching 2:27.
    msanders
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 49
    The two clocks could be just one second (or less) apart, and the photo was taken in the interval between the two reaching 2:27.

Ahhh, a rationalist! Personally I gave up having my clocks agree exactly long ago as it seemed to be an exercise in futility
    Me too. I just try to have them within a minute.
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 73
    autolycus said:
    @KungFuKenny yeah, the Efferman stand or one of the acrylic stands from Wicked Bricks or iDisplayIt are my most likely short-term options. I’m pretty sure I can fit one of those on an existing cabinet, once some other sets are taken apart.

real shame the Sammanhang isn’t a foot longer! That would be excellent at $80! I’ll see what 2x of that looks like. Might be awfully big for a coffee table.

Some of the custom options run >$1k, which is both reasonable and crazy at the same time!
    That’s what I did. Also have the UCS Y wing with it. It’s big but fits my space and I really like it.  And a great display as you walk into my basement  I’ll have more photos in March when my custom bookshelf wall is built  
    KungFuKennydspigelstluxMynatt
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 165
    Unfortunately, @legoleppy, the Sammanhang table isn’t available anymore. Otherwise I think that would have been the answer for me!
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Member Posts: 4
    Heading into 2020 I had 2 objectives for my MOC building area...I first added another column of storage bins so I could finally sort excess bricks from PAB purchases etc.  I also am able to sort my Duplo pieces now...

I also installed a desk perpendicular to the main one so that my TFOL son and I can build simultaneously...

This is pretty incredible and absolutely the dream right there

SumoLegodavetheoxygenman
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,411
    ...I also installed a desk perpendicular to the main one so that my TFOL son and I can build simultaneously...
    Hmmm... I can only get my son to play Smash Bros. and Zelda.  But we do collect minifigures, so that's something.
    ericbDjblythe05KungFuKenny
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 73
    autolycus said:
    Unfortunately, @legoleppy, the Sammanhang table isn’t available anymore. Otherwise I think that would have been the answer for me!
    Yeah the guy at ikea said that I got the last two in the East coast and that was at the end of last year. Check out local carpenters. That’s who I’m using for a custom glass display wall. Expensive but it will be well worth it 
    autolycus
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 949
    Has anyone here had an outdoor home office installed in their garden, which doubled up as a LEGO room? I've just started to work remotely and I'm looking at maybe having to get such a unit. I'm hoping I could get something big enough that could double up and house a modest collection (maybe 6x3 meters or thereabouts). Although I'm not sure how easy I feel about having that much value kept outside the house. 
  • Djblythe05Djblythe05 NorthantsMember Posts: 42
    You can get some good looking ones that seem to be very secure at places like https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/garden-offices
    I looked into such things before we managed to get a little extra money out of the bank for our extension. Just need to wait for it all to get started now, then I can try figure out how to fit everything I want and need into the extension we’ve planned. 
    TIL garden offices are a thing 🤔
    ericb
    The idea of heating a small, separate building during a Minnesota winter... 
    Astrobricksgmonkey76ericbJackad7Steve_J_OMTkattSigh
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 165
    I think there’d be a LOT of firewood involved.
    Jackad7