Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 795
    Aye, good plan....
    SumoLegoAstrobricks
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,058
    Yay, we did it!
    SumoLegoAstrobricksBumblepants
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,391
    I have to admit, I completely forgot about that!  But I'm happy it passed.
    Astrobricks
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,697
    ^ Looks like I imagine the end of every episode of Game of Thrones to look like.
    Keilup560HeliportSumoLegoBaby_Yodagmonkey76SprinkleOtterdmcc0brickventuresFizyx
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 246
    Off with their heads......the minifigs not the kids ...although
    560HeliportBaby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,291
    ^ Not just the men, but the women, and the children, too.
    BumblepantsSwitchfoot55Fizyx
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    vwong19 said:

My 8 year old went into the toy room earlier this week and played with the Lego collectible minifigures that were on display. Oh, the mayhem! Now I’m dusting areas that haven’t been dusted in years. 
    Did you dust his pants?

Do people still use that expression? One of my dad's American friends used to say that to us when we messed about with his stuff.
  • ersiersi SlovakiaMember Posts: 227
    @thehoarder
    thank you very much, I have built it with my father. I would rebuild to fit all of them, but I have already glass door and glass shelves made and they did cost alot.
    Mynatt
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 487
    This is not about what I have done but what I plan to do.  This weekend I had to pack all the Lego after pulling sets and parts from multiple locations.

I went from a near divorce experience, when my wife finally realized the size of the collection, to her agreeing to a Lego room in our new house!

We are moving from a NYC apt to a house in south CA.  Local LEGO store will be Westfield Topanga.  Any good?
    thehoarderAddicted2OxygenSumoLegoFizyxWicksy80
  • DeCommander96DeCommander96 London, EnglandMember Posts: 12
    When I moved in with my gf, I bought this big glass cabinet with 5 shelves from ikea and it still wasn't enough lol. I ended up putting 8 wooden floating shelves up as well. In total that's 13 shelves and that's just my marvel collection.....
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 469
    looks great
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 235
    I envy you! You’re blessed!
    KungFuKenny
    edited September 2019
    My lovely wife was out antique (junk? castoffs?) shopping when she found these vintage letters from old retail store signs... ever thoughtful she collected enough to help point the way to my upstairs Lego Lair...

Non American forum users may appreciate that she was careful to omit an “S” at the end...I think I have taught her well! 😀
    Non American? Of what are you accusing us (and yourself) sir?!
    KungFuKennyBaby_YodacatwranglereMJeeNLFarmer_John
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 756
    edited September 2019
    She is not exactly an AFOL and will commonly tell me to “go play with your Legos”... 
    Snizzlebutts
    She is not exactly an AFOL and will commonly tell me to “go play with your Legos”... 
    What I was getting at was your subtle, and perhaps unintentional, suggestion that Americans would not appreciate the difference :)
    KungFuKenny
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,058
    ..."Huh? Why are you mad? You told me to go play with my Legos! You didn't tell me when to stop!"
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyBludchylde1davetheoxygenmangmonkey76catwrangler
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 756
    I agree- my wife is pretty understanding— as kids have slowly moved out I have been allowed to take over more and more of the upstairs room until it is now 100% devoted to Lego (and Xbox) 

..."Huh? Why are you mad? You told me to go play with my Legos! You didn't tell me when to stop!"
    The key is finding the spouse a hobby that keeps them equally occupied... since Lego was not her thing I introduced her to British period dramas and that was that! 😄
    Switchfoot55Fizyx
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 821
    I agree- my wife is pretty understanding— as kids have slowly moved out I have been allowed to take over more and more of the upstairs room until it is now 100% devoted to Lego (and Xbox) 

The key is finding the spouse a hobby that keeps them equally occupied... since Lego was not her thing I introduced her to British period dramas and that was that! 😄
    It's all good until she runs out of British period dramas and realizes just how much LEGO you snuck in under her distracted nose!
    KungFuKennyMuftak1Snizzlebutts
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 508
    My wife has, occasionally, helped with the building of the modulars (I do ground floor and she does first...)

On one occasion, while I was building the Temple of Airjitsu, she put the Modular Bank together - she even made sue all the ingots on the outside were facing the same way like on the box!
    FizyxomniumwardmKungFuKennySumoLegoCymbelineLittleLoriMynatt
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 94
    Wouldn’t really call it an “accommodation” but don’t know where else to share. Basement flooded over the weekend, only sets that really could have been affected were sealed ones unfortunately. 
    SumoLego
  • Bludchylde1Bludchylde1 Member Posts: 49
    Nature was just telling you to open those sets up :D

SumoLego
    I've had that happen - power went out and about one inch of water crept it's way around my basement.  Thankfully, the only casualty was an already-open Assembly Square.
    Fizyx
    Lego sets should not be sitting on the floor in a basement. <shudder>
    FizyxSumoLegoBaby_Yoda
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 274
    I had a leak from a water heater once and had some box damage. It was on the docket for building and that was the catalyst to get it done. 
    Fizyx
    How bad was the box damage? Would you go so far as to say it ruined them? The reason they were still sealed is because I’m looking for a new location to store them. Thankfully there’s home insurance.
    Most of them were not especially valuable for resale purposes but were altogether some of my most expensive sets. Just very upsetting. 
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 610
    That's a really rough blow @lkliment2!
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    Does anyone know if there’s a thread that covers what tables people use to build their Lego cities in their dedicated rooms? I assume I’ll either end up using some kind of IKEA table, or make my own (because I’ll also have my own workshop too).
    I found that precise size of a stud-scale table made a pre-made table impractical.  I also made my tables slights lower to made on-table building much easier.
    Fizyx
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,682
    The office is now my office. It's teeny-weeny, but I can put what I can fit into it. Currently working out how small my computer set up can be so I can devote as much space as possible to Lego and Transformers. After that, it's Ikea-time.
    PJ76uk
  • stefxanstefxan AustriaMember Posts: 60
    I have 2 rooms right now. One is my stockroom for sealed boxes and minifigures. The other one is for maintaining my parts-shop. Collection is growing each day...
    @SumoLego Making my own tables to exactly fit a certain area of baseplates definitely crossed my mind. Unless someone knows of a flatpack table from somewhere like IKEA that is an exact (or very close) match then it looks like I’ll be a regular at Home Depot for the next few months!
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,518
    IKEA put out a press release in June about upcoming BYGGLEK line in collaboration with Lego. No indications about what will be made, but I'm holding off on any major purchases for Lego furniture until I see what they come up with.
    catwrangler
    I’d forgotten about that. I assumed it was relating to more child orientated stuff for some reason, such as play tables or storage bins, but you never know. I’ll see if I can find out more about it.
    SumoLego
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 569
    @SumoLego Making my own tables to exactly fit a certain area of baseplates definitely crossed my mind. Unless someone knows of a flatpack table from somewhere like IKEA that is an exact (or very close) match then it looks like I’ll be a regular at Home Depot for the next few months!
    The 150x75 Linnmon table tops from IKEA are just shy of 6x3 baseplates (32x32). I got around the difference by pulling the tables away from the wall slightly and filling the gap with a piece of wood.
    LittleLoridavetheoxygenman
  • tommyboatommyboa Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2019
    It used to sit in the corner of the play room, this was 6 years ago before we moved to Japan. Now that the minions are older, I don't know where they will end up
    FizyxSigh
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 771
    ^a few strategically placed plants, shrubs etc and she might not notice.
    SumoLegoFarmer_John
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214

What a fantastic project. Given it is stand alone and relatively simple on the outside, I hope your LEGO room will contain a MOC of itself.
    FizyxNickF22Addicted2Oxygen
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 19
    My wife was if favour of my buying the trailer for my hobby/obsession.  She is happy to have more room in the house and to have the guest bedroom back.  And once everything is moved, the home office, upstairs hallway, part of the living room and part of the basement back. :.....  and maybe a couple of other closets as well.

I live on a large rural property so the trailer isn't really that noticeable tucked in behind the shed that can be seen in the background. 
    catwranglerLittleLori
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 771
    ^ so you'll be filling the shed with LEGO too then?
    FizyxSwitchfoot55MaffyD
  • mdtvandymdtvandy USAMember Posts: 61
    edited October 2019
    Has anyone found a cart or shelving unit for use with the Akro-Mils cabinets? I'm looking for a way to have them either hidden or able to move around easily.
  • brickventuresbrickventures New YorkMember Posts: 39
    The recently built Destiny's Bounty is now proudly displayed atop the bookshelf, joining the other Asian inspired sets

LegopantsFizyx560HeliportKungFuKennyLittleLoripxchrisSumoLego