Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    edited May 2018
    mldj77 said:
    My dream, goal is to buy a store for my Lego room. I'm eyeing this empty storefront for sale that has a rented apartment above it. The renter will cover the mortgage, free Lego room! Not to mention the massive basement full of potential. The building is 2,221 square feet, so plenty of room for display, storage, and building. 
    Are you just going to use the storefront as is? Kids will pass by and nag their parents to lend them money so they can buy sets from your collection. Unless you mean you're actually going to set up a store. Or you mean you'll live in the store and keep your Lego in the apartment upstairs. Or you'll just take up the whole lot with Lego and sleep in the car. There's no such thing as enough room.
    dmcc0alxlwsonOnebricktoomanyFizyx
  • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    @Baby_Yoda I could use the store as is. There is a small portion up front where the big windows are, but the bulk of the store is behind an interior wall. Then there are a couple of smaller rooms in the rear, great for storage or building area. I would plan on finishing the basement, creating an apartment for myself when I'm over building & such. It wouldn't be open or visible to the public so no issues with kids wanting to see my collection. For about the same money I'd spend further mutilating my home, I can buy this storefront that already has an open layout and plenty of room. All that stands in the way right now is of course, money. But that will come in time. 
    FizyxBaby_Yodacatwrangler
    mldj77 said:
    @Baby_Yoda I could use the store as is. There is a small portion up front where the big windows are, but the bulk of the store is behind an interior wall. Then there are a couple of smaller rooms in the rear, great for storage or building area. I would plan on finishing the basement, creating an apartment for myself when I'm over building & such. It wouldn't be open or visible to the public so no issues with kids wanting to see my collection. For about the same money I'd spend further mutilating my home, I can buy this storefront that already has an open layout and plenty of room. All that stands in the way right now is of course, money. But that will come in time. 
    Oh wow, that's really convenient. I guess money's always a problem, whether you have too much Lego or not enough.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,773
    A multi-use room.  Pole dancing vs Lego - that’s got to be a first.

I like it!
    CCCSumoLegodavetheoxygenmanFizyxomniumToc13catwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,156
    edited May 2018
    Legoboy said:
    Pole dancing vs Lego - that’s got to be a first.
    That is certainly a hefty pole.

And what's the deal with the guy windsurfing on the road?  That's not safe.

And I found someone's secret jellybean stash!
    MorkMan
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,773
    ^ And the cat carrier?  Is someone trying to do a bit of re-enacting?

SumoLegoFizyxomniumcatwrangler
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 355
    MrJackson said:
    Coming along nicely. 
    I feel like it's pictures like these that make @SumoLego feel alive. If you don't cover everything that isn't LEGO in a sheet, he will know your entire life within 18-24 hours. 
    SumoLegoFizyxdmcc0LittleLoricatwranglerMr_Cross
    edited May 2018
    @BillyBricks84 - It's endlessly fascinating to me.  Someone should break the seal on that bottle of champagne!

(It's like a hidden objects game for me.)
    BillyBricks84Switchfoot55LittleLoriToc13catwranglerMr_Cross
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 397
    @SumoLego I will when I'm finally done. Gotta bring over the old Century Skyway, Space Shuttle Launch pad (the one from like '91) and finish the beach and monorail.  My wife is building the Ferris Wheel. 
    SumoLegoLittleLori
    edited May 2018
    MrJackson said:
    @SumoLego I will when I'm finally done.  My wife is building the Ferris Wheel. 
    Don't get too crazy - otherwise you'll need those 6 months baby clothes again.

(Kidding!)

And you sound like you already need a bigger table!
    FizyxBaby_Yoda
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 397
    You win the internet this evening.  
    SumoLegogmonkey76davetheoxygenmanFizyxBaby_Yoda
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    Any recommendations for a covered display shelf or bookcase for the modular series? IKEA does not sell the Galant shelf anymore, which is a bummer since it seemed to fit the modulars perfectly. 
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 359
    edited May 2018
    Billy or Liatorp
    LegobrandonCP
    edited May 2018
    So... on a scale of 1-to-Yoda's midichlorian count, how annoying is it that there does not exist an official TLJ poster and a Rogue One poster?

And given the choice between an Episode I poster and a light switch, I would also choose a light switch.

(Not a Thor: Ragnarok fan?)
    Switchfoot55alxlwson
    ^ Yeah, but Episode I or Episode II?
  • jlpythonjlpython ILLINOIS, USAMember Posts: 77
    Sadly, I do not have an Episode I poster - nor could I find one when I originally put these up. I also missed the Thor poster - honestly, I didn’t know there was one! Shame on me . . . and yes, moving the light switch is a project for another day!
    Switchfoot55SumoLego
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 446
    I have the joyous task of moving in the next couple of months.
    Cons: Pack everything up.
    Pros: I get a LEGO room...
    It's still rented, so I can't do anything drastic - but I'm hoping to put tables or something similar around the outside, to run a train track and display Modulars, Expert etc.
    Any thoughts on suitable furniture? Without breaking the bank... As it doesn't need to last a lifetime!
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 778
    Ikea. Relatively cheap and loads of chioce.
    SumoLego
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 807
    SumoLego said:
    If you got rid of those silly CDs, you'd have plenty more room.
    While that is true, my hundreds of film scores will remain. But as my Legos grow and I acquire some much-needed tables... The CDs might end up moving.
    FizyxSumoLegocatwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    edited May 2018
    Get rid of the carpet too. :-)
    SumoLegoBaby_Yoda
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,522
    SumoLego said:
    THAT man has a KRE-O set.  He thought we wouldn't notice.  But we did.
    Burn the witch!
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 325
    I was more interested in the murder on the oriental carpet (ok just the regular carpet but sounded better in my head)
    SumoLego said:
    It's to sell, I swear! I never even opened it!

CCC said:
    It's an apartment... No can do.
    SumoLegoMr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005

CCC said:
    It's an apartment... No can do.
    Is that a noise issue for downstairs?

Be careful you don't drop tan 1x1 parts!
    Brickfan50
    No, I'm on the ground floor thankfully
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,979
    ^I really like the thinner floating shelves for your trains! ...and your HP cabinet. And your Cuusoo/Ideas cabinet...and everything else!
    SumoLegodmcc0FizyxMr_Cross
  • SamuraiPeteSamuraiPete Member Posts: 40
    Thanks! Getting an IKEA in town helped with the floating shelves idea ;)
    SumoLegoYo_dA
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 602
    edited May 2018
    ^^^^ @SamuraiPete That looks great! How do you keep all the modulars etc dust free?

^ @readersam An entire house?! That's insane... here the UK houses are so expensive/in demand that that'd only ever be a pipe dream for the vast majority of people!
    edited May 2018
    @SamuraiPete Cool minifigure displays, love the Luke's Landspeeder collection and I think that's the first time I've seen a clean Surface Pro. There's also a gap in the Modulars that looks like a park... reminds me of an Ideas project from a while back...
    Switchfoot55
    @benbacardi this is a basement room and they are in the back so believe it or not they stay relatively dust free.  I just hit them with a little compressed air once in a while to get any loose specs off.

@Baby_Yoda Yep that's a park and I built it to have somewhere to display some of the [email protected] polybags like the fountain, flower cart, etc.  Oh, and my daughter needed a place to put her custom cherry blossom tree :).  
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,787
    SumoLego said:
    The MCU is leaking :-)
    SumoLegoFizyxcatwrangler
  • justintartejustintarte MissouriMember Posts: 33
    edited May 2018
    LittleLori
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 181
    Sorry I don’t post very often but here is a view of my room.  Brown box on the floor is the new MF so will need to make some room :)
    Did you do any special anchoring of those LACK shelves to support all the modulars?  I'd be concerned about the weight.
    ^ I have a similar shelf for my modulars (as you can see well above) and they sit there fine without anything other than regular support.
    kbenjes
  • lee1980lee1980 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 41
    Seeing these pics we need to move to a much bigger house, man I wish in UK we had more basements in houses so uncommon here but would be perfect for all my hobbies.  As it is I have the 3rd smallest bedroom as office/hobby room, but need to decide on what I want more.
    We are having a 5m x 3m extension down stairs on back of house with high lean to ceiling  so hoping for some good shelf space to show off some lego if the wife lets me lol.
    omnium
    ^ concur with @Baby_Yoda @Boardshorts85 those IKEA floating shelves have 3 rods welded to the wall bracket that go into the shelf itself so it is very sturdy and can hold the weight.  
    SumoLegoBaby_Yoda
    Just make sure those brackets are anchored into something other than the drywall!
    dmcc0mak0137gmonkey76kbenjes
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 778
    ^Reminds me of the time my brother got his first TV in his bedroom many years ago and my father decided to mount it on a wall bracket.  First (and possibly only) time that I saw a CRT TV bounce - complete with bracket and a section of the wall still attached!  
    BumblepantseMJeeNLcatwrangler
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,080
    NickF22 said:
    I have the joyous task of moving in the next couple of months.
    Cons: Pack everything up.
    Pros: I get a LEGO room...
    It's still rented, so I can't do anything drastic - but I'm hoping to put tables or something similar around the outside, to run a train track and display Modulars, Expert etc.
    Any thoughts on suitable furniture? Without breaking the bank... As it doesn't need to last a lifetime!
    If you're still in the area, EMAUS in St Albans or Debra & BHF in Hemel might be worth a check. Going to be a fair bit cheaper than new
    NickF22