Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    ...My goal is to eventually sheet rock the whole room, paint it and install can lights in the ceiling. 
    If you have the cash, finish it off now. It won't be any easier once its filled with all your crap stuff.
    PaperballparkdatsunrobbieSwitchfoot55dmcc0Legoboycatwrangler
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 344
    Here is a video of my Lego City. Which is actually less than half of my entire Lego layout. Gives you an idea of what we have done to our house, lol.

Brixfan02
  • PhonegalPhonegal Bagram, AfghanistanMember Posts: 22
    Justintarte you might want to put a sealer or paint your bare cement walls and floor. It will leech out quite a bit of fine dust. I believe there is Kilz paint product that is pretty good for that. Would also seal in the dampness coming off the walls. Cement really never dries and is constantly curing. The plastic wrap and your humidity/temperature gauges are great. I am sure that must have taken quite a bit of time to seal all those shelves up. 

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited October 2017
    @carnage717 -  I have an attic room similar to yours (albeit smaller) to store Lego sets. More important than the window is the overall temperature in the room. I don't see any A/C ducts or duct work in the room, but I suggest keeping it reasonably cool. Lego pieces don't do well in the heat.
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    edited October 2017
    @carnage717 -  I have an attic room similar to yours (albeit smaller) to store Lego sets. More important than the window is the overall temperature in the room. I don't see any A/C ducts or duct work in the room, but I suggest keeping it reasonably cool. Lego pieces don't do well in heat

There's an ac unit on the back wall behind where I'm taking the picture from
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    I started collecting Lego about two years ago... clearly, I'm a big fan of the Lego City sets. I've had to move the collection downstairs to the basement because the upstairs couldn't accommodate the number of sets. I covered the boxes in plastic to protect the boxes from dust... I also added a dehumidifier to protect the boxes from moisture/humidity. If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on how I could improve this arrangement, I would be interested. 

Uh heyDexter, its probably not a good idea to give people photographic evidence of youre killroom. Just trying to help, friend...
    dmcc0Yodaliciouscanon03FollowsCloselyShib
  • justintartejustintarte MissouriMember Posts: 33
    Phonegal said:
    Justintarte you might want to put a sealer or paint your bare cement walls and floor. It will leech out quite a bit of fine dust. I believe there is Kilz paint product that is pretty good for that. Would also seal in the dampness coming off the walls. Cement really never dries and is constantly curing. The plastic wrap and your humidity/temperature gauges are great. I am sure that must have taken quite a bit of time to seal all those shelves up. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm always looking for ways to keep the sets protected and in good shape for as long as possible. My son is only 2... here's hoping he likes Lego and we can slowly open sets over the years as he gets older. Cheers.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,568
    ^ 'Open' sets?  Who does this 'open' sets? 

I'd just buy the new version of whatever you currently have...
    dmcc0
  • PhonegalPhonegal Bagram, AfghanistanMember Posts: 22
    I envy your son and your city set up. You win at the father thing. :)
  • justintartejustintarte MissouriMember Posts: 33
    I apologize for sharing these images again since I know I just recently shared them. Has anyone experienced Lego boxes 'sticking' together when being stored in a temperature controlled environment? More specifically, enough 'sticking' that would cause damage to the box and make either the front or the back of the box look damaged. I try to keep the boxes fairly snug so the contents don't shift toward the bottom causing a bulge, so there's not a ton of air space between some of the boxes. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thank you for your perspective. 

• MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,203
    Possibly moisture and lack of airflow is making the print sticky? I've had it in the past but not enough to cause box damage...
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 242
    Phonegal said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm always looking for ways to keep the sets protected and in good shape for as long as possible. My son is only 2... here's hoping he likes Lego and we can slowly open sets over the years as he gets older. Cheers.
    I find it difficult to believe you bought all this for your now 2 years old son. Why would he need hundreds of sets to play with? Even 4 or more of the same set? This is actually beyond my comprehension.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,759
    ^ Wouldn’t be the first person to justify a collection thusly :)
    justintarte
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 356
    What cabinet is that? Ikea?
  • nmualumninmualumni Michigan, USAMember Posts: 49
    arathemis said:
    What cabinet is that? Ikea?
    The tall skinny one in the top photo is from Ikea. The wider one in the last photo is something one of my clients was throwing out from their office lobby after a remodel.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,385
    wow, those mutant T-rexes were huge
    SprinkleOtter
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,098
    stlux said:
    Just 6 more weeks to go, and I can start filling this room with nothing but Lego!

Such a wonderful time!
    cmrt1014
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,287
    edited January 2018
    stlux said:
    Just 6 more weeks to go, and I can start filling this room with nothing but Lego!
    Awesome.
    It is so exciting getting a LEGO room set up.
    But soon enough, you'll be thinking about a second room.
    I know I am.

Already anticipated that: that's what the cinema room will be for ;) Actually larger than the Lego room, with lots of space to put shelfs on the side to display movie-related (Star Wars, Super Heroes) sets.

For a while my wife was under the illusion that the Lego room could also store jigsaw puzzles (we have a few) and a guest bed, but she has  realised that's not happening.

And I'm sure my wife will want her sets (Harry Potter, landmarks) displayed somewhere in the house where she can see them ;)

Still, it's pretty much guaranteed that I will soon enough wish I had another 100% Lego room. But compromises/sacrifices have to be made...
    bandit778gratefulnatcmrt1014SumoLegoMr_CrosscatwranglerBrixfan02FowlerBrickssnowhitie
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 275
    stlux said:
    For a while my wife was under the illusion that the Lego room could also store jigsaw puzzles (we have a few) and a guest bed, but she has  realised that's not happening.
    Clarity is always good :-)
    And I'm sure my wife will want her sets (Harry Potter, landmarks) displayed somewhere in the house where she can see them ;)
    That's even better!!!
    Still, it's pretty much guaranteed that I will soon enough wish I had another 100% Lego room. But compromises/sacrifices have to be made...
    My compromise/sacrifce: why I keep telling my son (heading towards 19) that he should consider moving out once he has a steady income (starting this August), because nothing beats a little independence :-)
    This would free up the largest room in my appartment, which could be then used for you know what!
    stluxcmrt1014gmonkey76catwranglerlegomental
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,568
    Build a pole barn, my friends!
    stluxcmrt1014catwranglerSprinkleOtter
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 275
    ^now we're talking!
    cmrt1014
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,287
    @SumoLego I'd love a pole barn! But with an are (are, not acre!) costing about EUR 100K over here, not having space for a pole barn was probably the biggest compromise to make ;)
    cmrt1014gratefulnat
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,824
    I think @legomental has just won the thread!
    Addicted2OxygenSalamalexGoldchainslegomental
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,759
    Only if every room is the LEGO room :)
    catwranglerlegomental
  • WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 72
    Oh I am so envious of those with a dedicated Lego room. I have been dreaming of one since I was a kid and it looks like it ain’t going to happen until my own kids move out of home. We do now have a small dining table in the loungeroom that can stay permanently. It was procured for my winter village, with removable Ikea legs so that it could easily be packed away, but after Christmas we decided that it fitted in quite well without too much hassle and that it can stay. It blocks access a bit to the shelves behind but it is not impossible to get to them. 

I have also toyed with the idea of installing a large table, with hole in the middle, on a pulley system in the loungeroom. It could be lowered for play and then put back up high later as it would otherwise fill the entire room. The hole would mean that it would fit around the central light in the room, but also that when playing, we could stand in that hole for full access to anywhere within the table. 

At first my husband thought it was a joke but he realises now that I am serious.  So we finally had a real discussion about it. We would have to get it built professionally, due to the safety risks of us making some kind of mistake doing it ourselves, but since money is tight that means leaving the idea for a few years at least. 

Has anybody else done this? Full lego table with big city layout on a pulley system? I’d be interested to hear about it. Google research hasn’t brought up much at all.
    FizyxstluxomniumcatwranglersnowhitieJern92
    Well another search has just shown me that youtube is the place to look. This one, built for a model railroad, looks excellent - large table, smooth operation. Unfortunately owner never posted pictures of it finished, but there is a link under the video for more details of the construction. 

https://youtu.be/xXZaUoMb-60
    Fizyx
  • readersamreadersam USAMember Posts: 62
    Rumor has it that my neighbor has purchased a new house and will be moving. My friend knows his mom and she says that he plans to sell his current house. If he puts his house up for sale then I can buy it and use it exclusively for my LEGO sets. I will have a themed diorama in each room (excluding bathrooms and kitchen). His house is the only one next to mine so he is my only hope of having a LEGO exclusive house.
    FizyxdspigelcatwranglerAstrobricksAll_That_RocksMiniBricks1cmrt1014
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 218
    Man...most I’ve ever done is throw up a few shelves.
    PeteMcatwranglerlegomental
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 356
    @WhiteDove I have a friend who has as a hobby electric trains dioramas. (somethink like the link you posted). And he has a suspended a table like support by his sealing, which comes up/down with a system of pulleys and a really really small motor. His dimensions are about 1.5 m wide, and 2.5 m long. He had (when I last saw it) a nice diorama in construction with multiple lines, tunnels, trees, hills etc.

So I think it`s doable. He did it all by himself, no specialized workers, but he is a bit of a handyman, as opposed to me.
    WhiteDove
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,410
    @WhiteDove How high are your ceilings?  If I were to try that in my house I'd be restricted to a build height of about 8 bricks before the "raised" table became a safety hazard!
    catwranglerlegomentalWhiteDoveAll_That_Rocks
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 315
    Only if every room is the LEGO room :)
    When we move in I'll let you know :-; but seriously I don' think we have enough lego for every room to be a lego room. Though every room will no doubt have lego in it somewhere. My budget isn' t big enough and not sure i need loads more lego in my life currently (have plans for a new garage when i can afford it and they kind of take priority) I am just grateful that we will have a bedroom for each of the kids (we have lived in a one bed place for 7 years and the kids have always been in with us) & I do get a big attic room to do a lego town layout. I've had big dreams for a long time and finally fulfilling one or two will be a very epic moment for us as a family.  

Photos to follow in a month or two when I've finished buying half of ikea though my collection is nothing like as impressive as most and positively tiny compared to some. Dreams do occasionally come true though so hang on in there if you really want a lego room. Its taken me just 25 years!
    Addicted2Oxygencmrt1014AstrobricksSalamalexcatwranglerMooreFX
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,182
    I thought I had a LEGO apartment...but I realized there's no LEGO in the bathroom! I will rectify that deficiency tonight!
    FizyxAddicted2Oxygengmonkey76AstrobricksSalamalexcatwranglerMooreFX
  • ceniackceniack Oklahoma CityMember Posts: 25
    My wife and I are buying a house. We close on Feb 8th and one of the rooms we have decided will be a LEGO room.

I’ve already got 7 or 8 stack-on organizers and I am trying to decide between buying some desk or building a desk that goes along 3 walls and then build some shelves.

It has a nice sized closet that I can store boxes and unbuilt sets. 
    catwranglerMooreFX
    TheOriginalSimonB said:
    @WhiteDove How high are your ceilings?  If I were to try that in my house I'd be restricted to a build height of about 8 bricks before the "raised" table became a safety hazard!
    Our ceilings are 10 feet high which, sitting here looking up at it looks to be plenty high enough as long as I didn’t want a huge skyscraper.  I do feel as though it might be bad feng shui though, as we would be walking under it constantly. I don’t think that would be a problem in a garage but in the living room it could be. So it would require careful consideration.
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 782
    One of my dreams is to have a Lego room. Once I get set up in (hopefully) my own place this May, that might be a reality! 
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 381
    Zoning for modular street is finally in place. 

For anyone interested this is an Ikea EKBY BJÄRNUM/EKBY JÄRPEN shelf (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/wall-shelves/ekby-bjärnum-ekby-järpen-wall-shelf-white-aluminium-spr-79002459/).

You can fit 4.5 baseplates per section, but to do that you need to not push the shelf fully into the supports. Only a couple of mm loose, so nothing that would be an issue. 
    catwranglerBumblepants
    Zoning for modular street is finally in place. 

For anyone interested this is an Ikea EKBY BJÄRNUM/EKBY JÄRPEN shelf (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/wall-shelves/ekby-bjärnum-ekby-järpen-wall-shelf-white-aluminium-spr-79002459/).

You can fit 4.5 baseplates per section, but to do that you need to not push the shelf fully into the supports. Only a couple of mm loose, so nothing that would be an issue. 
    Nice one! It will be fun filling it up! Just be careful of the weight, as the shelf states it will support 20kg but the modulars each weigh more than 2.5kg...
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 381
    @WhiteDove thanks. Is 20kg per half, so should be ok.... 
    @WhiteDove thanks. Is 20kg per half, so should be ok.... 
    oh well that’s fantastic. I’m sorry, I misunderstood the info. That is a lot better than some of their similar shelving. No problems at all filling them up then!!
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    My kids picked up the 10x10 room that holds our sorted bins today. So I took advantage if the moment of order and took a picture. The shelving is temporary, I'll follow up with a post a year or so from now when I get aroud to making perminate shelves.
    FizyxMooreFX