Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• nasotmnasotm Member Posts: 1
    Be very careful with the hvac. Like you said, you could throw the whole house off kilter. It sounds like you have friends in the construction business. Maybe get some professional advice. It could be a marriage saver.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Be very careful with the hvac. Like you said, you could throw the whole house off kilter. It sounds like you have friends in the construction business. Maybe get some professional advice. It could be a marriage saver.
    Amen!!! Sometimes I'm actually smart enough to admit when I don't know something. HVAC is another animal altogether...
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    This looks amazing. Wish my wife would let me do something like this. Looking forward to seeing it finished! :)
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    I'm currently planning a trip to the nearby IKEA to buy some shelves to house built sets. I was thinking about this for "normal sets" and this other shelf for "overflowing" sets such as the SSD and or MF (neither of which I currently have but I plan to buy the first sooner or later and am currently bricklinking the latter).
    Any other suggestions?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Wish my wife would let me do something like this.
    Actually, my wife pushed me to find a place for storage, so she's been supportive of this endeavor. I am hopeful it turns out to our satisfaction.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    No staircase, yet.
    This looks amazing. Wish my wife would let me do something like this. Looking forward to seeing it finished! :)
    Why would she not? Seems like a perfect solution for both people. Course, if you are not handy and have to hire the whole project out to a full on contractor it would be very expensive.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    edited February 2012
    @AvengeDr: the EXPEDIT shelves are nice and cheap, but the cube shapes are somewhat limiting unless you already know that it suits your display needs. I would prefer rows of open shelving for more flexibility.
    I would prefer rows of open shelving for more flexibility.
    I agree @rocao - I pack all my lego sets in regular cardboard boxes for additional protection, but always try to fit as many sets as I can into the smallest possible space. I definitely don't want to have to build another room because I was too inefficient with space.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Hey, I'm really running out of space! Can anyone recommend a contractor to finish the attic above my garage in Southern California?
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    ^ I hear ya. Between Lego, action figures, and everything else I like to collect my house is ready to burst at the seams! At this point I need to think about an addition or start selling some stuff :(
    I've been meaning to post these shots. There was an OJI (on the job injury) that slowed progress a bit, but everyone's okay and everything is moving again. We should have it painted by the end of the week (hopefully). I am letting my wife pick out the color as I have no taste and don't really care (both that I have no taste or what the color is). :-) We discussed installing shelving, but the Lego [email protected] shipping boxes are very durable for stacking...so perhaps later.

The first pic shows the built in book case (lego model holder) and where the desk is going to be. The second pic is more a shot of the back wall. The room is 7.1 Surround Ready, but my wife is concerned that putting in speakers may not allow room for all the stuff that needs to get in the room. She wins...
    Hey, I'm really running out of space! Can anyone recommend a contractor to finish the attic above my garage in Southern California?
    Wish you were closer...I would have the perfect person for you!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    You have become, in my eyes, the luckiest man on the planet. For the first time since joining, I truly am envious of another member. Am hoping to move into my new place soon and have picked out my hideaway room already but man, I'm not sure it will be as good as good yours. You lucky lucky sod. And with 7.1..........!?
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,460
    It may seem like an extra expense but If you haven't started painting yet I would seriously consider installing a water sprinkler system. To protect your family and your lego.

Especially if you are keeping all your boxes.
    Paper and plastic are great fuel for an unwanted fire.

When I get my mancave I will definitely have a fire supression system in the whole house.
    You have become, in my eyes, the luckiest man on the planet. For the first time since joining, I truly am envious of another member. Am hoping to move into my new place soon and have picked out my hideaway room already but man, I'm not sure it will be as good as good yours. You lucky lucky sod. And with 7.1..........!?
    My Lego brother...this project had to be justified on so many levels...

1) We had available space in the attic,
    2) I was encroaching into my wife's area,
    3) I need an uninterrupted work area for projects related to my employment,
    4) There was a trusted and talented friend available to do the work, and
    5) It was affordable as I could do some of the work (electrical, sound, misc. manual labor).

Not having any one of these justifications might have stopped the project cold. My wife will soon have an uncluttered master bedroom and I will have a location to consolidate everything, to work, and to disappear into from time to time. The room is not huge (like some in Brickset have); it is only about 10' x 15' (roughly 3m x 5m), and could fill up fast if I'm not careful.

I'm sure your hideaway room will be nicer than this one when yours is done... I would definitely be interested in knowing what you do to customize it when you move in.
    It may seem like an extra expense but If you haven't started painting yet I would seriously consider installing a water sprinkler system. To protect your family and your lego. Especially if you are keeping all your boxes.
    Paper and plastic are great fuel for an unwanted fire. When I get my mancave I will definitely have a fire supression system in the whole house.
    Yeah...we thought about that, but it was cost prohibitive. We do have standard smoke alarms tied into the house alarm system, but that's about it. A halon system would be nice. :-)
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    Well I have talked my wife into letting me have one of the spare bedrooms for now. I hope for an insulated garage in the future. Unfortunately living in Arizona attics get entirely to hot for good storage and i like the house around 75 in the summer. However This did come with a trade off. I need to complete the new Living room and computer room first. The wife trapped me in this one. I cant get the room now cause its the computer room. I cant move out the o;d computer room until the new living room is done. However she loves the hobbie with me and usually keeps me under control (sometimes!!
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    @AvengerDr - I agree with rocao and Farmer_John. I have the Expedit shelf and find it extremely limiting. Going to replace it with open shelving.

It looks nice from a display purpose:

LEGO Room

But you lose a lot of valuable real estate trying to put containers or boxes in it - look at the space on either side of the containers:

LEGO Room - Sets

Yep...I live in the South and attics are hot. I loaded up on the insulation. In fact, even the floors are insulated between the joists to reduce noise below. I also have a supplemental temp-controlled air unit just for the room to ensure a cooler temperature as required. Marriage is all about compromise...and my wife is a much better negotiator than I am most of the time.
    @littletoki - The space between your containers would be hard for me to accept. I repack sets in shipping boxes (for protection) and try to fill every square centimeter of the shipping boxes with something. Periodically, I go through and sort/repack everything, and get excited when I am able to reduce by a single shipping box (yes...it's a sad life that I lead). I do like your display area...it motivates me to build more. ;-) Your stuff looks so neat and organized...very nice!
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    edited February 2012
    The inefficiency of the space bothers me too, @Farmer_John - that's why I'm moving the Expedit out of the room and using it for display only.

I'm switching to open shelving - it might not look as "furniture-y" but right now, practicality trumps all.
    Finally got around to posting images of my new Lego room/office completed a couple months ago. These were taken the last time the room was empty. :-) The carpet had just been installed with the help of my daughter who was happily compensated with a couple MISB sets, and the packed sets were promptly relocated after these pics were taken. Needless to say, the master bedroom now looks like it needs furniture to fill the void. ;-)

legomental
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Our very small 1950's era home is brick so adding to it wasn't a particularly good option. We finally opted to purchase a 16' X 20' Tuff Shed because our lot is a nice size. We also have what was originally my father in law's wood working shop which is 13' X 19' so between the two we have enough layout room but still struggle for storage space. Attic space here isn't an option for several reasons.

Recently I cleared a bookshelf in the computer room to display the friends sets as they didn't fit well with our other sets on the layout.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Does anyone go through measures to prevent dust? Such as those ionic fans or others? Or do you just cover your displays a lot of the time?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Looks great John! Well worth the trouble. We never used our basement room until the Lego habit demanded it: it's 12 x 15 with two large closets, perfect in other words, like it had been waiting for me for four years.
    Does anyone go through measures to prevent dust? Such as those ionic fans or others? Or do you just cover your displays a lot of the time?
    I tend to keep my built sets covered in clear plastic when they're on the shelves. Its light and easy to remove if I want to admire my handy work and helps a lot with the dust.
    Finally got around to posting images of my new Lego room/office completed a couple months ago. These were taken the last time the room was empty. :-) The carpet had just been installed with the help of my daughter who was happily compensated with a couple MISB sets, and the packed sets were promptly relocated after these pics were taken. Needless to say, the master bedroom now looks like it needs furniture to fill the void. ;-)

Looks great! Can we see a pic of it in its current state?
    Absolutely! Give me a few days though. My daughter is helping me pull everything back out, resort into better packing boxes (for better protection and to improve space efficiency), inventory the new packing boxes into an Excel spreadsheet (to be able to actually locate sets for a change), and then stacking it all back into the room. Hopefully, we'll have it completed within the week and I'll have some pics.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    @ Farmer John

I am curious as to what you are going to do about reducing dust gathering on your Lego. Will it be fully enclosed in cabinets once on shelving or open? I am in the process of researching how to minimize the amount of dust that settles on my lego sets. There are far too many sets to be dusted off all the time so I am looking at enclosing them in custom cabinets to try and reduce the dust.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ The dust problem is one of the main reasons why I don't have sets on display anymore. I imagine a cabinet with cleanroom level air filtration would do the trick, but that just seems to be overkill. I'm curious if people have any practical solutions to the problem of dust.
    Build, display, wash, bag, repeat? Perhaps the thickness of dust is the sign you need to redo your arrangements. Some folks use the compressed air canisters sold as keyboard cleaners, but that's only the super-dedicated. For minimal maintenance I suppose glassed-in shelving is the way to go. Now that I think about it, doesn't everyone's grandmother have those hutch type things that fit in the corner and have a rounded front edge (like 4x4 rounded plates), interior lighting, and glass or mirrored shelves for displaying porcelain knick-knacks? I swear, there's two in every corner at her house... So maybe check an antique shop for those? May not fit your UCS stuff, however.

I've built shelves for my books and garden stuff, not yet for Legos. When I do it, I'm going to line the sides and back with the rope lighting movie theaters use but is now available at retail stores (I.e. Lowes). Sliding glass vs. Conventional hinge opening, though, hmmm. Until then, it's build, display (or just play), wash, bag...
    @ Farmer John

I am curious as to what you are going to do about reducing dust gathering on your Lego. Will it be fully enclosed in cabinets once on shelving or open? I am in the process of researching how to minimize the amount of dust that settles on my lego sets. There are far too many sets to be dusted off all the time so I am looking at enclosing them in custom cabinets to try and reduce the dust.
    Actually, the room is more for storing boxed sets; not built sets. I do plan to have a few smaller sets built and sitting on the bookshelf; however, I'm with @brickmatic and @brickamor in that I build and re-bag and just don't display at all. If I were to display, I would likely use shelves with glass fronts to minimize (obviously not eliminate) the dust. We do have a few sets my wife enjoys displayed in our kitchen...collecting dust. ;-)
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I keep some sets in the buffet/hutch (whatever the part on top with glass doors is) and seems to keep them relatively dust free. Other sets i tend to build, display for awhile then bag and store them. Modulars i dont know what Im going to do with!
  • kkskks Member Posts: 60
    I use a swiffer duster weekly on my display sets, it works well to keep dust in check. Honestly, I love that thing.
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    Does any of you have one of those cabinets with several drawers that can also be used to store lego parts? My BL inventory is expanding and boxes won't cut it anymore.. In order to avoid going crazy I'd like to buy one of those.

On amazon UK I found two brands: a "Raaco" one with 44 drawers at £26 and a "Draper Expert" one with 30 drawers at £16. It's funny because both have been reviewed by AFOLs :D

Can anyone recommend one or the other? Are £10 worth the extra drawers?
  • throttleonthrottleon Member Posts: 17
    Several years ago we did a remodel and addition to the kids wing of our house we decided to make an area for my then 7 year old"s Lego collection...in turned into a 14' x 22' room...where we can display and he can play with his Lego....we used slat wall on the walls for shelfs and it has worked out really pretty nice as we can alter and add shelving as needed (although we are about at the run out of room point). It's really cool for him because it is right off his bedroom and he has a door that leads directly into the Lego room...I have attached a few pictures of it's current state...

The white pocket door in the 4th &5th photos is the door to Billy's room.....

My son and his friends love it....(it usually isn't this pristine..there are legos sets and parts all over the floor from the kids playing!!!!!!!!!!)
    Adzbadboysnowhitie
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    ^ I want to be Billy.
    Scottlego667legomental
    Very nice!
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Nice. Billy is lucky to have AFOL parents! Who did the military MOCs?
  • mattheww888mattheww888 Member Posts: 87
    @throttleon,
    May I say....holy crap! You da man!
    @throttleon
    Jawdropping.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    edited June 2012
    Wow. :)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    Oh my goodness. It is beautiful.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    @throttleon

Love it, that what I'd love to do when I eventually get me own house. Till then im stuck with cheap bookshelves in apartments.
  • PepperPepper Wisconsin, USAMember Posts: 91
    ^ I want to be Billy.
    Me too.

So awesome!
    Thanks for the very kind comments.....Lego has been a been a lot of fun for both of us...I have to admit that I'm the collector and he's the play master.....the selving currently displays about 400 sets....and of course that is only growing in numbers...
    That's what so great about slat wall, you can change the shelfs around any way you want...

The military sets are M... B...., Sorry but the kids love playing with them.....

I should take a picture of the room in it's play state....not quite so pretty!

@throttleon About the slat wall shelving: did you have to take out the plaster and attach directly onto the studs, or were you able to just put it on top? Since you said it was an add-on I'm guessing it's the former (because there would be nothing to take out). Thanks.
  • makmak Member Posts: 300
    Oh man! i'm drooling here. What a beauty!
    We put the slat wall over drywall because if we ever want to take it down, the drywall is already there....you can do it either way over drywall or just straight to the studs...works either way.