Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,037
    Tempted to finally sort through and donate spare clothes so I have more space to store LEGO.
    YodaliciouslegomentalomniumClutchPower
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 643
    @TikiLuki thats just incredibl. Did you build these yourself and are the adjustable?

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    Wow, it reminds me of footage I've seen of the Lego archive in Billund!
    KingAlanIClutchPowerAllBrickLEGO_Dad77
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,901
    That's what I was thinking. So many classic sets. 

• TikiLukiTikiLuki ChicagoMember Posts: 60
    @TikiLuki thats just incredibl. Did you build these yourself and are the adjustable?

No, they're IVAR shelves from Ikea and yes, they're very easy to adjust. That's why I put them in. The shelves I had in there before were next to impossible to adjust and I ran out space immediately and didn't even have room for everything in my collection even at that time.

You can see a few "empty" spaces even in just this one pic where I could easily fit a bunch more sets, because the frequency of the shelf pin holes in the verticals is pretty good. I think they're only an inch apart or something.
    prevere said:
    That's what I was thinking. So many classic sets. 

Haha, thanks. You can't even see a lot of them here. Down at the far end are all the biggest ones and a bunch that are laying down because their box type isn't great for standing up. There are LOT of classic sets in that section!
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 355
    ^Your LEGO "closet" is worth more than my house.
    legomentalSprinkleOtterKingAlanIprevereClutchPowerSalamalexAllBrickGoldchains77ncaachamps
    ^Your LEGO "closet" is worth more than my house.
    Ha, definitely not. It looks bigger (in that photo) than it is. Wide angle lens...
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,474
    TikiLuki said:
    obvious lack of space here. good thing you don't have a lot of boxes
    SprinkleOtterClutchPower
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 919
    TikiLuki said:
    Sadly, we have no display area in this house...not really any appropriate space to do so. But I did just finish re-doing "the LEGO closet" with shelves that better accommodate everything. Fit in whatever has been purchased over the last 5 years and still have a bit of room for more.
    Very clean and tidy shelving, unlike mine.

You bought all those MISB classic sets in last 5 years? Must have cost a bomb, or two!
    Recce said:
    TikiLuki said:
    Sadly, we have no display area in this house...not really any appropriate space to do so. But I did just finish re-doing "the LEGO closet" with shelves that better accommodate everything. Fit in whatever has been purchased over the last 5 years and still have a bit of room for more.

You bought all those MISB classic sets in last 5 years? Must have cost a bomb, or two!
    Oh, no, sorry. I've been collecting for about 35 years. Most of these I had before we moved to this house 5 years ago.

What I meant was that when we moved in, I was immediately out of space, and by re-organizing with these new shelves, I was able to get in all the stuff I had when we moved here, plus the things I'd purchased in the 5 years since then.

Had I paid "the last 5 years prices" for those sets, I wouldn't be able to afford a home to keep them in!
    RecceMaffyDClutchPower
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,083
    Very impressed with your level of organization.  @TikiLuki
    AllBrick
    TikiLuki said:
    Recce said:
    TikiLuki said:

Oh, no, sorry. I've been collecting for about 35 years. Most of these I had before we moved to this house 5 years ago.

What I meant was that when we moved in, I was immediately out of space, and by re-organizing with these new shelves, I was able to get in all the stuff I had when we moved here, plus the things I'd purchased in the 5 years since then.

Had I paid "the last 5 years prices" for those sets, I wouldn't be able to afford a home to keep them in!
    Wow, 35 years! The majority of my Lego sets were bought between 2012-2015 so they're mostly recent sets, though I've been collecting other toys for about 20 years.

• KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,037
    My wallet is hurting just looking at @TikiLuki 's picture
    stefxan
  • jpczjpcz Member Posts: 95
    Thats a closet?  What does a bathroom in your house look like?  WOW, great job, looks awesome!

SprinkleOtterClutchPowerAllBrick
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,124
    TikiLuki said:
    A beautiful picture!  What a collection; I am equally impressed with your organization/cleanliness as the collection itself.

35 years ago what was your thinking?  The same as now? Were you thinking "oh I should hold onto these they could be worth a fortune some day"?
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    TikiLuki said:

No, they're IVAR shelves from Ikea and yes, they're very easy to adjust. That's why I put them in. The shelves I had in there before were next to impossible to adjust and I ran out space immediately and didn't even have room for everything in my collection even at that time.

You can see a few "empty" spaces even in just this one pic where I could easily fit a bunch more sets, because the frequency of the shelf pin holes in the verticals is pretty good. I think they're only an inch apart or something.
    i was just looking at the "IVAR" shelving system on ikea webpage.
    What on Earth did all that cost?
    jpcz said:
    Thats a closet?  What does a bathroom in your house look like?  WOW, great job, looks awesome!

Well it is in the basement :)
    TikiLuki said:
    A beautiful picture!  What a collection; I am equally impressed with your organization/cleanliness as the collection itself.

35 years ago what was your thinking?  The same as now? Were you thinking "oh I should hold onto these they could be worth a fortune some day"?
    No, never about that. I actually like the boxes. I wanted the pieces to stay in their homes, so to speak. I know it sounds silly, but I've always been interested in packaging.

My favorite LEGO boxes are the yellow LEGOLAND boxes that have a cardboard tray with notches for a plastic insert, and the box with the flap that opens up from bottom to top with a window or windows looking inside.

I still feel those were the best boxes to store the pieces in, because when you had the pieces in the tray and then closed the box flap on the ends of the box, things would usually stay closed and the pieces were safe. There's really no way to store pieces in today's boxes without using ziploc bags or something similar.
    catwranglerClutchPowerstluxYodaliciousFollowsCloselyOldfanAllBricksnowhitieLEGO_Dad77

i was just looking at the "IVAR" shelving system on ikea webpage.
    What on Earth did all that cost?
    I think I spent around $600 or so on all the shelving you see there. Maybe a little more because I ended up going back a few times for a few more shelves when I got into the areas for the smaller boxes that are set closer together.

The shelves themselves - for instance the 33" x 12" shelves - are only $5 each, with the 33" x 20" versions being $10 each, so the system isn't horribly expensive, but of course it adds up when you need 50 or 60 individual shelves.

For the smaller sets, I thought about getting a bunch of the drawers they have for the system, but I would've lost a ton of real estate that way so I just put the boxes on the shelves directly.

Here's a link to the IVAR system for those who haven't seen it...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11705/ 
    SumoLegoTyresOFlaherty
    Your organization of the little boxes reminds me of the 'impulse' section of TRU back in the mid-'90's.  So many little boxes!

(I vividly remember the Aquazone and Black Monarch/Knight mini-boxes.)
    SprinkleOttercatwranglerYodaliciousClutchPower
  • calumheathcalumheath Member Posts: 24
    I bought an extra house.
    SprinkleOtterTikiLukiClutchPowerGoldchains
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,781
    ^ Someone on a TV docu did that - are you that guy? Or is it more widespread than my limited knowledge of the housing market would lead me to believe!?
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    Recce said: 
    ^ I would retort with "why not?" I'm not a reseller, but have plenty of multiples. Some vehicles, buildings, etc. just warrant multiples in the collection. Three Avengers Towers to build a big one, multiple X-Wings to have a squadron, etc. 
    Yes, indeed! It so happens I've combined 3 Avengers Towers to build below! :)

I am going to have to acquire another one and do this! 
    Looks amazing!
    bu chance do you have the Daily Bugle?
    ive been toying with adding on to that one as well. 
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 206
    My wife and I both love LEGO but we decided to (for now :) ) display our sets only in the hallway. Otherwise I'm afraid it would take over the whole house. We had a dedicated LEGO room with a desk and all the spare parts but that has had to make way for a baby room. So right now all my LEGO that is not on display is in a cabinet somewhere.

Can we have a closer look at those pictures? Really nice display there.
    My wife and I both love LEGO but we decided to (for now :) ) display our sets only in the hallway. Otherwise I'm afraid it would take over the whole house. We had a dedicated LEGO room with a desk and all the spare parts but that has had to make way for a baby room. So right now all my LEGO that is not on display is in a cabinet somewhere.
    Nice display! The white really makes the set colors pop!
  • MrBrickALotMrBrickALot SwedenMember Posts: 19
    TikiLuki said:
    Nice display! The white really makes the set colors pop!
    The cabinets are from IKEA, the two shelves on the left I made from some sheets of MDF.
    Recce said: 
    ^ I would retort with "why not?" I'm not a reseller, but have plenty of multiples. Some vehicles, buildings, etc. just warrant multiples in the collection. Three Avengers Towers to build a big one, multiple X-Wings to have a squadron, etc. 
    Yes, indeed! It so happens I've combined 3 Avengers Towers to build below! :)

I am going to have to acquire another one and do this! 
    Looks amazing!
    bu chance do you have the Daily Bugle?
    ive been toying with adding on to that one as well. 
    Thanks!

I do have the Daily Bugle, but only opened 1 set so far and it's being slowly dismantled for parts. To make an upsized version of it will need to have at least 3 sets plus enough extra bricks for the back wall.

MattPetersen
  • calumheathcalumheath Member Posts: 24
    MaffyD said:
    ^ Someone on a TV docu did that - are you that guy? Or is it more widespread than my limited knowledge of the housing market would lead me to believe!?
    No my friend, that wasn't me.

There is more detail to my story but it's relatively straightforward.

A house across the road and a few doors down from came up for sale. I bought it to rent it out but before I could it slowly filled up with LEGO. And that's how it remains. And that's all there is to it but the fact remains - I have a second house that is full of LEGO.
    MaffyDBumblepantscatwranglerBillyBricks84ricecakeomnium
  • stefxanstefxan AustriaMember Posts: 61

Your baby will love this shelf as my Baby loves all my bricks. I have to hide all my stuff.....
    Cosworth3d
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    edited February 2017
    Star Wars Shelve

catwranglerbluedragonOnebricktoomanyCosworth3dClutchPower
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    Nice book.  I too have it and is one of my favourites.  :)
    edited February 2017
    ^ Very nice!  @MrBrickALot

Are those Ikea cabinets?

(I'd anchor them to the wall.  Little minions pull and climb on anything.)
    SumoLego said:

Are those Ikea cabinets?

Yes they are the IKEA BILLY cases are they are anchored to the wall in six places on the top :)

The lights are normally used for the PAX wardrobes and the great things is they are not shining forward meaning you're never looking into the light from the outside.
    SumoLegosnowhitieMynattdanstraindepotlegomentalClutchPoweromnium
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,522
    SumoLego said:

Are those Ikea cabinets?

Yes they are the IKEA BILLY cases are they are anchored to the wall in six places on the top :)

The lights are normally used for the PAX wardrobes and the great things is they are not shining forward meaning you're never looking into the light from the outside.
    So do Ikea sell the glass doors and glass shelves too? Or are they custom?
    TheFew said:
    SumoLego said:

Are those Ikea cabinets?

So do Ikea sell the glass doors and glass shelves too? Or are they custom?
    It is all IKEA
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,522
    Just redecorating my house. A trip to ikea may be required :-)
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 520
    Considering we have a baby coming we had to baby proof the LEGO so this week we replaced our open display cabinets by closed ones. The center cabinet is still missing some glass shelves but they were out of stock. Hopefully this will make sure we have at least 1-2 years before we need to expand again.
    --SNIPSNIP--
    lol on that shortened tower bridge...
    omnium
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    edited February 2017
    ^ This is the problem with cabinets and large sets...
    Briking
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    I can't remember the plan, isn't the second picture where you've banished your mother-in-law to or something?
    SprinkleOtterBumblepantsLEGO_Dad77
    The dishwasher is for washing Lego, but I'm not sure what the microwave is for...
    SprinkleOttercatwranglerTyresOFlaherty
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    SumoLego said:
    The dishwasher is for washing Lego, but I'm not sure what the microwave is for...
    Can't build on an empty stomach, can you?
    Bumblepants
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 643

This was the original plan. Its changed a little now with the Study and Store being combined into one large room and the WC moving to the back of the house.

Can't wait for this to be finished now.
    SprinkleOttercatwrangleromnium